Menu

To Homeschool or Not to Homeschool?

I posted last week on the main board about the difficulties my daughter was facing in her first grade classroom.  4 of my 6 children go to a Classical charter school that I adore.  The youngest two are home, primarily with my husband, and he does a wonderful job working with them with the Letter of the week preschool curriculum.  When he was working I home schooled them for about five- six years.  

If you recall, my daughter has been struggling with anxiety and outbursts that have been worsening as the school year has gone on.  She also recently had an outburst at school and was sent home.  Her teacher approached me abut holding her back, which freaked me out, and since then we have initiated testing with the school.  I spoke with my daughter in third grade who told me this first grade teacher has a reputation for being mean.  Then I spoke with some friends who had/have children in her class.  Two have pulled their children to home school due to concerns!  Another said her child asks every afternoon if he can be home schooled. He is quite bright but absolutely miserable at school right now.  

Sending my six year old to school this morning knowing what I now know broke my heart.  I feel strongly about getting her tested so I can get her necessary help, but as a child that struggles with anxiety I know that this is not a safe or beneficial environment right now.  My husband is concerned about homeschooling her because it's a struggle to work with her on reading, etc.  She fights it tooth and nail.  Her teacher told me last week she also has a very difficult time with it at school and is not cooperative.  However, I can't help but think that if we can find the right curriculum and resources and get her out of the negative environment (apparently she is known to be a yeller    :crying: ), she will find her love of learning and her anxiety will begin to improve.  I"m not sure if I"m posting just to vent or ask for advice.   :confused1:  Just putting this out there.  Parenting is a rough job!

First grade is so easy to do without it being "school".  Work on phonics while playing "I Spy"  (I spy something that starts with "b".  or I spy something that ends in "at").  Read, read, read together - get all the excellent nonfiction as well as fiction books.  Play store for math.  Do hop-scotch and skip count while doing it. 

• Like 2

Bring her home.

Well, make sure you are complying with whatever the homeschool law is in your state, but then bring her home. And frankly, I wouldn't make a big push to do Formal School with her for several months, because it will take several months for her to find her self again.

• Like 4

I'd ask her if she would rather learn at home, if she understands that she will needs to actually do stuff at some point. And I might have her stay until the testing is is completed if it will be soon. Then I'd make a plan (very light & loose until the next school year begins, state law permitting) and bring her home.*

*Keep in mind, though, that asking on a homeschooling forum whether you should bring your struggling child home is a little bit like asking on a vegetarian forum whether you should quit buying meat.

• Like 3

Is she being treated for the anxiety? Either with therapy or a combination of therapy & medication? I would prioritize her mental health over school work right now. Until she feels safe and peaceful, she won't likely make much academic progress. My DD6 is a different child since we got a good diagnosis and began treatment.

• Like 2

I appreciate all of the advice.  I'm hoping to hear back soon about testing and if we need to keep her in a bit longer or can pull soon. She is being treated with therapy at the moment, and I will consider medication if necessary.  I'm still feeling a bit anxious myself, haha, about figuring out our game plan, but I think we are getting there!  I'm actually kind of excited at the prospect of having another homeschooler around for a while- I think it could be quite beneficial for her.  Thanks again ladies!  And I know it's like asking Vegetarians about meat, I think that's why I came here ( ;  I'm still a homeschooler at heart.

• Like 2

My son loved school. He thrived at school. Until he was in a 2nd grade classroom with a teacher that yelled, insulted him, belittled him, and failed to recognize that the reason he was not reading well was because of an undiagnosed reading disability (which sadly we had not caught either until his struggles in this class). She ripped his heart out. We waited to pull him out while we sought testing and his mental health deteriorated. It has been three years and those scars still exist. They run very deep. If I had it to do over again I would not have waited the extra 3 months once we realized what was happening. His love of learning and belief in self may never be the same again. I learned the hard way that mental health has to trump academics or doing what the crowd does. Please bring her home if you can. It doesn't have to be forever. She is little and vulnerable. Hugs to you and your family.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 2