Menu

Whole 30 - Week 4

Pink and Green Mom

Just starting a new thread.

Day 22 for me and hello Tiger Blood.  My husband dropped the youngest off at co-op this AM and I have done more laundry this morning than I did all last week.

B:  not even remotely hungry

L:  buffalo chicken salad

D:  meatballs and spaghetti squash (for me, if I can figure out how to cook it) with homemade tomato sauce

Day 22 for me, too.

I feel really, really good, except for that awful gas bloat I woke up with this morning.  I'm blaming it on the cabbage I had yesterday.

I have energy and my skin looks fantastic!

B:  Who knows?  Black coffee right now, that I'm actually enjoying.  The half and half may be a thing of the past.

L:  Probably leftover kalua pig, with....something.  I don't know.

D:  I have to cook again?  Ugh.

I'm at the "please don't make me cook another thing" point of the program.  I just ordered some paleo frozen meals to keep on hand for days like this. 

• Like 1

Yay, yay! I just realized today is day 22 for me, not 21, like I was thinking on my walk this morning.  :hurray: I love when I am in the single digit countdown phase. Whoop, whoop! I think week 3 is the hardest to get through. The first two weeks are novelty, the last week the finish line is so close, you know you can do it. Glad to be over the hump and cruising down the hill now. 

Still waiting for full on tiger blood, although I have definitely seen an increase in energy. My skin is looking just a little better. I am definitely not experiencing the incredible, glowing skin that was promised.  :glare:  For some reason my jeans felt really tight yesterday, which was quite discouraging. 

Breakfast: Peppers and grilled chicken thighs w/ mango and raspberries on the side (yum!)

Lunch: Probably leftover steak, creamed spinach and some other veggie

Dinner: Pan fried balsamic chicken, pesto zoodles

I am off to try the cashew milk in my coffee. We'll see.

• Like 1

Oh I remember when you all started and now I'm jealous that I didn't start too!!!  I could be feeling awesome right now!  LOL.  Great job everyone!  Keep it up!!!  

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

Semi-related:  I've just discovered cold-brew coffee.  I'm not a fan of coffee generally, but cold brew removes most of the bitterness and I'm able to drink it without any sweetener or dairy!  Google it if your standard coffee is just not working for you without the add-ins.  It can be served hot or cold, but is brewed cold.  

• Like 2

Where did you order the meals from?  I'm sick of being in the kitchen so much.

Premadepaleo.com.  It has a specific Whole30 option. 

I've also ordered from Plated, Blue Apron, Home Chef, and one more than I can't remember right now.  I looked at all of them to see the menus if I could reorder (Plated was my favorite), but while I could make Paleo meals I couldn't really guarantee it was 100% Whole 30 compliant, so I passed this time.

ETA:  In case you're interested, you can go here to get a coupon for 10% off.  

Edited by AlmiraGulch
  • Like 1

Oh I remember when you all started and now I'm jealous that I didn't start too!!!  I could be feeling awesome right now!  LOL.  Great job everyone!  Keep it up!!!  

:hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray:

Semi-related:  I've just discovered cold-brew coffee.  I'm not a fan of coffee generally, but cold brew removes most of the bitterness and I'm able to drink it without any sweetener or dairy!  Google it if your standard coffee is just not working for you without the add-ins.  It can be served hot or cold, but is brewed cold.  

Aww, thanks Monica! You are so sweet. So close.

Yes, at home we only drink cold-brew coffee, but it is just not the same without its half and half for me.  :ack2:  

Day 23.

I have weighed myself and lost almost 10 lbs.  I cannot quite go out in public with a size smaller jeans, but I can wear some shirts that were previously too tight.  I also noticed that my undereye circles are different.  They are still there, but they are no longer dark - they are just skin colored.  Major success.

• Like 1

Day 22 for me and hello Tiger Blood. My husband dropped the youngest off at co-op this AM and I have done more laundry this morning than I did all last week.

B: not even remotely hungry

L: buffalo chicken salad

D: meatballs and spaghetti squash (for me, if I can figure out how to cook it) with homemade tomato sauce

Would you share you recipe for buffalo chicken salad, please?

Day 22 for me and hello Tiger Blood. My husband dropped the youngest off at co-op this AM and I have done more laundry this morning than I did all last week.

B: not even remotely hungry

L: buffalo chicken salad

D: meatballs and spaghetti squash (for me, if I can figure out how to cook it) with homemade tomato sauce

It isn't much, I just slice up some chicken breast tenderloins, and then mix it with Tessemae brand Buffalo sauce and serve over lettuce or mixed greens, or just with cucumbers.  I top with whatever else I have on hand - black olives, onions, avocado - that sort of thing.

I could drink the buffalo sauce with a straw.  My Whole Foods carries it, some people have seen it in Target, or you can get it on the company website.  They make a dozen or so Whole30 compliant dressings, sauces, and now mayo. 

Hope that helps!

Day 27 and I think the tiger blood is finally starting to kick in. We have gotten a ton of school in this week and I'm back to cleaning out the house. I'm also exercising more (although not as much as I would like) and waking up earlier feeling refreshed and eager to start the day - most definitely not normal for a PMS week! I feel like I'm able to think more clearly too. Technically, I'm done on Saturday but unless I have a re-introduction plan figured out by then, I'll probably just keep going. I'm afraid that if I start adding things back in without a plan that I'll go back to bad habits too easily.

• Like 1

Day 25.  How is that possible?  I ordered some Tessemae compliant mayo and ketchup.  I love the mayo and could eat it right out of the jar.  The ketchup not so much.  I want to spiralize potatoes, sauté them and then just put a huge dollop of mayo on top but I am afraid that will be way too SWYPO for me.  Oh well.

LaCroix water was BOGO at our Publix so I got some coconut and lime to try.  I am sipping coconut and feel like I am in Hawaii. 

B:  chicken salad with cabbage slaw (and my new Tessemae mayo)

L:  buffalo chicken and vegetables

D:  pork tenderloin with mushrooms and brown sauce

• Like 1

I'm on day 24 and totally over it. All I want is wine and pizza. I've never struggled this much with it, I think it's because I accidentally had something with corn maltodextrin and something with rice flour. It's making me feel super discouraged and I just don't want to do it anymore. The thought of even entering the kitchen makes me want to stab myself.

On he bright side, dh and I discussed at length how we want to go forward. We decided we will eat paleo from Sunday mornings until dinner on Fridays and then relax but not go crazy on Friday nights through Saturday. If we can avoid the slippery slope, I think this will be a really good moderation lifestyle for us.

• Like 3

I'm on day 24 and totally over it. All I want is wine and pizza. I've never struggled this much with it, I think it's because I accidentally had something with corn maltodextrin and something with rice flour. It's making me feel super discouraged and I just don't want to do it anymore. The thought of even entering the kitchen makes me want to stab myself.

On he bright side, dh and I discussed at length how we want to go forward. We decided we will eat paleo from Sunday mornings until dinner on Fridays and then relax but not go crazy on Friday nights through Saturday. If we can avoid the slippery slope, I think this will be a really good moderation lifestyle for us.

You have come so far! Hang on for another week!

• Like 1

Day 28 for me and I inadvertently cheated at dinner tonight. :-( We had dinner at my parent's tonight and my mom made the main dish. My parents are planning to start their first Whole30 in February so my mom has been trying out recipes. She made the stir fry from the book and put organic grilled chicken strips in it. After we ate I was looking at the bag and saw that there was sugar in it. Oh well, I'm not starting over. The stir fry was good.

• Like 1

Can't believe tomorrow I only have 4 days left when I wake up! WhooHoo! I am terribly tired of preparing food b/c that is all have done for 25 days straight. In one respect so much of my life revolves around food when I do a Whole30, but I do love when I get to the point that food is just fuel and not something running my life (as when can I have a cookie?). That point when after I eat a meal, I feel satisfied and my brain stops obsessing on getting food or satisfying a craving.

Breakfast: chicken breast, cucumbers and mangoes (I think!)

Lunch: LO Yankee pot roast w/ tomato gravy and something else that I can't remember

Dinner: breakfast (I didn't eat enough, so I am getting ready to eat some kale salad and tea)

I do remember that I ate salmon cakes for both breakfast and lunch yesterday.  :laugh:

• Like 1

I have not weighed, but today I wore a suit that I hadn't worn in a couple of months and the pants were nearly falling off.   I hated that they were ill fitting, but I couldn't help but be a little happy!

Traveled all week and did totally fine.  It's not even all that hard to make the good food choices anymore.  I feel good.  

Next Friday night (2/5) I'll have my first piece of bread in more than a month.  I hope it doesn't make me feel crappy.

• Like 1

Day 26.  My mom (who is 5' and weighs about 105 soaking wet) asked me to print her out the Whole 30 "rules".  So I did.  She tells me this AM that she is doing Whole30 just like I am.  Except she is going to drink her coffee with sugar and cream.  And she cannot get through the day without her bran flakes cereal in the morning.  And she will continue eating at the club restaurant 3x per week.  And she will have vodka tonic(s) and wine(s)  "when she feels like it."

Sure, Mom.  Sounds just like my Whole30.

• Like 1

Day 26. My mom (who is 5' and weighs about 105 soaking wet) asked me to print her out the Whole 30 "rules". So I did. She tells me this AM that she is doing Whole30 just like I am. Except she is going to drink her coffee with sugar and cream. And she cannot get through the day without her bran flakes cereal in the morning. And she will continue eating at the club restaurant 3x per week. And she will have vodka tonic(s) and wine(s) "when she feels like it."

Sure, Mom. Sounds just like my Whole30.

My mom is doing one of those now. I explained the whole elimination concept and she was like "Well, I won't have much."
  • Like 1

My mom is doing one of those now. I explained the whole elimination concept and she was like "Well, I won't have much."

Mine said the same exact thing.

We are going out tonight with our best buddies to this little town festival with a great band and tons of food and beer trucks.  I'm the designated driver and will be the one carrying my can of La Croix water.

This is the part I hate.

Mine said the same exact thing.

We are going out tonight with our best buddies to this little town festival with a great band and tons of food and beer trucks.  I'm the designated driver and will be the one carrying my can of La Croix water.

This is the part I hate.

It's so worth it though. After the reintroduction period I know exactly what to avoid and why. My quality of life is truly better. :)

• Like 1

LOL It must be a mom thing. My mom said she would do it with me "except"...She has to have honey in her tea. I suggested skipping the tea for the month and she looked confused. There were a few other "excepts" too. I think I've finally convinced her - and my dad! - to do a true Whole30. Mom ordered the book and has been reading it and trying recipes. It'll take her a while to be ready to start but I think they'll do it. Now I want to convince my sister to try it. She's 17 and is addicted to junk food. She's thinking about it but at this point only says she'll "try" it.

• Like 2

Is anyone here continuing beyond 30?  I am, and was wondering if anyone else is.

Day 27 today.  I survived my concert/food and beer truck extravaganza last night.  It felt really nice to wake up after a night of no indulging.

B:  bacon and fried eggs, strawberries

L:  chicken and apple sausage over cabbage and carrots

D:  pork tenderloin with brown sauce and mushrooms

I am still hanging on. I will most definitely be having a proper cup of coffee next Wednesday morning, which will be day 31. I think I will just start with that. I will probably continue in some form following, but i have not yet decided how that will look. 

I have definitely not lost as much weight as I did last time I did this. I have not weighed myself, but I can tell. My skin is looking a little better in this last week, so I think that is a good reason to carry on.

Breakfast: Kind of lame b/c I grabbed something before I left on a long walk (beef jerky stick and bell pepper), then came home and made banana, cashews and coconut flake salad and something else.

Lunch: Hamburger w/ Louisiana mayo and veggie

Dinner: Chicken nuggets, parsnip fries and cucumber slices

• Like 1

Day 31. I had thought about continuing through February but have decided not to - not with a true Whole30 anyway. Some parts of it are just harder than I feel like bothering with anymore.

I couldn't find the sulfite free coconut milk I had been getting when I went grocery shopping last night. So I just bought the one with sulfites and I'm not going to worry about it. Also, I was never able to find coconut aminos anywhere so I'm going to start using my Bragg's aminos (soy) again. I don't use it in very many things anyway. I'm also going to start taking my vitamins again (multi-vitamin, C, and omega-3). I have a really hard time with swallowing pills so I take supplements in chewable or liquid form. Those tend to have added sugar in some form so I skipped them for my Whole30.

I'm going to start with those things for now. Still mostly Whole30 but not not strict enough to claim that I'm still doing it. I may add other things in throughout the next few weeks too but I'm happy with this for now.

I'm still deciding about bacon. I LOVE bacon but haven't been able to find one without sugar or dextrose. It's easy enough to live without but I'm not sure I really want to. Sad, I know. LOL

• Like 1

You guys are doing great! I'm going to start one tomorrow- February 1. I tried one two years ago and only made it through day 22. I learned from that and have been working my way into trying again.

I'm headed to the grocery today and will do some advance cooking. I'm ok with the food, but giving up my morning diet coke and evening glass of wine will be rough. Hoping I'm not too grumpy!

• Like 2

I don't think the intention is to live with Whole30 restrictions forever and always, even the creator does not eat like that on a daily basis. The Whole30 is designed to be restrictive. Habit research shows humans tend to do better with absolutes (the "do not eat this, you can eat this" rules of Whole30). You are trying to reset your attitude about food, find connections and patterns in your eating habits (are you eating because it is night and that's just your pattern or are you genuinely hungry?) and figure out how foods make you feel. Melissa Hartwig says you probably don't have to worry about the sugar in your ketchup or bacon when you are off plan. If soy or rice or half and half doesn't upset your stomach, you can eat that.

To me, it comes down to fueling and nourishing your body with foods that make you feel good. After eating really clean for 30 days we all hopefully have a better understanding of how the foods we eat effect us.

edited for that pesky homophone

Edited by AppleGreen
  • Like 2

Day 28 here.  I must repeat to myself "Day 28 is not Day 30."

I want to lose 20-30 lbs.  Whole30 is the only thing I feel I can do to get there - that and just clean eating in general.  What I like about Whole30 is the hard and fast rules because in my mental makeup that is what I need.  I have no idea why I can stick to the rules of Whole30 and not cheat, I just didn't.  Other times when there is no outside accountability I would cheat.  A lot.  So I think I will stick with this another 30 days (which takes me sometime into early March) and then I will reevaluate. 

I lost close to 10 lbs. this go around, although that has really slowed down this past week (I am guessing it is all the prosciutto I am scarfing down).  But the weird upper stomach aches I was getting almost every time I ate are gone.  The sluggishness and staying up really late and barely dragging myself out of bed in the morning are gone.  The going to bed looking like I was 8 months pregnant due to bloat and waking up not looking like that are gone.

I don't want to go back there.  Long term I think I will go grain and dairy free as a lifestyle change.  I do not really miss the things I thought I would - beer, cheese, chips, pasta, etc. 

It has been fun doing this with all you ladies here.  I have no one IRL doing Whole30 with me.  I have really enjoyed the threads here as well as all the recipes, tips, and support you all have provided.  Thanks a million times over!

• Like 3

Day 28 for me, too.

Like I said previously, I have no idea how much I've lost, but I know I have.  I didn't weigh myself on Day 1, and I have no plans to weigh myself on Day 30 or 31.  I just know I look and feel better, and that's good.  My husband has lost 20 pounds.  

Since I cheated on this Whole 30 (remember the wine a couple of weeks ago? Ugh...), I can't say I did this cheat free, but it was pretty darn close.  I plan to continue the clean eating for pretty much always, 80/20.  I'm scared of the 20, though.  I know myself, and the slippery slope is steep and quick for me.  So, I'm planning my unclean meals in advance, as much as possible.  

This has been fun to do with all of you!  I love checking in, getting meal ideas, and having a place to confess my wine sins. :-)  

By the way, I had tortilla-less Chicken Tortilla Soup last night that was to die for, which I'll have for lunch today, and I have beef short ribs in the slow cooker now that are making the house smell amazing, that I'll servive with Nom Nom Paleo's IP kale and carrots, and cauliflower mash.  So, so good.  I absolutely do not feel deprived.  

• Like 2

Day 28 for me, too.

Like I said previously, I have no idea how much I've lost, but I know I have.  I didn't weigh myself on Day 1, and I have no plans to weigh myself on Day 30 or 31.  I just know I look and feel better, and that's good.  My husband has lost 20 pounds.  

Since I cheated on this Whole 30 (remember the wine a couple of weeks ago? Ugh...), I can't say I did this cheat free, but it was pretty darn close.  I plan to continue the clean eating for pretty much always, 80/20.  I'm scared of the 20, though.  I know myself, and the slippery slope is steep and quick for me.  So, I'm planning my unclean meals in advance, as much as possible.  

This has been fun to do with all of you!  I love checking in, getting meal ideas, and having a place to confess my wine sins. :-)  

By the way, I had tortilla-less Chicken Tortilla Soup last night that was to die for, which I'll have for lunch today, and I have beef short ribs in the slow cooker now that are making the house smell amazing, that I'll servive with Nom Nom Paleo's IP kale and carrots, and cauliflower mash.  So, so good.  I absolutely do not feel deprived.  

Can you post a link to the soup recipe or just tell me where to find it?

I just made the buffalo chicken spaghetti squash casserole for tomorrow or Tuesday night.  It was posted here a few weeks ago and I just got brave enough to taste spaghetti squash.  LOL.  I love it.  Here it is in case anyone missed it the first time.  http://paleomg.com/sneak-peek-recipe-from-juli-bauers-paleo-cookbook-buffalo-chicken-casserole/

I'm going to continue as well. I started Jan 1, but I don't really know what day to call today. I have strictly avoided grains and dairy, but for the first 10 days I didn't realize that peas were out and I was having a protein shake with pea protein powder. I also had it several times later in the month when desperate in order to not cheat even more. Also, on Friday, we went out for the day and I didn't pack enough for lunch so I had some peanut butter.

I feel less bloated and have a little more energy. I've started Jazzercise again and don't feel all sore the next day like I usually do when starting up after a few months off, so I think there is less inflammation. I've not sleeping better and I haven't lost any weight.

I need to focus on the improvements I do have and not on the lack of weight loss. Tomorrow I start a challenge to see if I can go to Jazzercisd for 30 days out of the next 35. Maybe that will help the scale start to move.

• Like 1

I just made the buffalo chicken spaghetti squash casserole for tomorrow or Tuesday night.  It was posted here a few weeks ago and I just got brave enough to taste spaghetti squash.  LOL.  I love it.  Here it is in case anyone missed it the first time.  http://paleomg.com/sneak-peek-recipe-from-juli-bauers-paleo-cookbook-buffalo-chicken-casserole/

So glad you tried it and liked it! I love, love this casserole! Although I think the hot peppers may inflame my skin a little, but I find this casserole utterly sublime. 

• Like 1

It has been a lovely journey with all of you! On more than one occasion having accountability to you all kept me from having something off plan. I would think, "I don't want to have to post on that thread that I had a cup of coffee with cream." So thank you for the virtual support. 

I do think I have a bit more to work to do before I can officially declare this over. I am not certain I have completely slayed my sugar dragon, although I am miles ahead of where I was when I started this endeavor. 

I was grocery shopping today and the cheese in the deli section literally smelled like puke to me  :ack2: . It was nasty and that was unopened packages! We already eat low on dairy and cheese because dairy and DH are not on friendly terms, so I don't cook with a bunch of cheese or anything. You all know how I miss my half and half, so that will make a reappearance. I am going to cross my fingers that small amount of dairy will agree with me. I am also looking forward to testing legumes, specifically garbanzo beans. I am looking forward to a plate of cut up veggies and homemade hummus, as well as some falafel cakes I found while searching for pegan (paleo-vegan!) recipes this morning. I do think my system likes a bit less meat on the regular.

It was a lot of fun to share recipes and chat food and struggles with you all! :grouphug: 

Breakfast: LO chicken nuggets, pepper and two slices of mango

Lunch: Hmm, I should probably get on that

Dinner: Burgers, grilled pineapple and kale salad

I did go ahead and make a compliant menu through next Friday. It is much easier for me to eat well if I know what to cook and don't have to figure out compliant food on the fly.  

• Like 1

It's this one. 

I modified a bit.  Decreased the cayenne, elliminated the poblano and green chiles (so DD13 would eat it....she can't tolerate much heat in her food), and added matchstick carrots and chopped zuchinni.  

The lime at the end, plus the cilantro and avocado, if you like them, really made the soup for me.  I did not use plantain chips, either.  

• Like 1

I didn't weigh myself before I started so I don't know exactly how much I lost but I'm guessing 6-8lbs. For the past several years I have kept a notebook where I've occasionally written down things like my weight and measurements, a food log, health/fitness goals, etc. The earliest date I have is Jan 1, 2011 - 2 months after my son was born. Today I weighed less than any recorded weight in that book. That feels pretty awesome. :-) I've also had more energy, allergies are much better, I'm sleeping better, and my skin looks great.

I'm ready to add some other healthy foods back in. I would like to add in legumes so that I can cut back on the meat. Also, whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, and oats. I've discovered that I really need the carbs and fiber and potatoes are getting old (never thought I'd say that!) I would also like to start eating yogurt and kefir again. I'm a little worried that I'll quickly slide back into bad habits though. The Whole30 works for me because the rules are very strict. I don't do well with "moderation". I've decided that rather than continue the Whole30, which feels safe to me, I really need to start re-introduction so that I can start tackling real life eating habits. Tonight I'm going to plan a menu for the week with that in mind.

• Like 1

It's this one.

I modified a bit. Decreased the cayenne, elliminated the poblano and green chiles (so DD13 would eat it....she can't tolerate much heat in her food), and added matchstick carrots and chopped zuchinni.

The lime at the end, plus the cilantro and avocado, if you like them, really made the soup for me. I did not use plantain chips, either.

Ok, this looks delicious so I made a pot today to get me started and just discovered my chicken broth has cane sugar in it! I'm already cheating! I'm eating it and I'm still counting tomorrow as day 1. I live in such a grocery wasteland I know I'll have other ingredient issues, but I really didn't anticipate chicken broth being my first one. Sad.

• Like 2

I didn't weigh myself before I started so I don't know exactly how much I lost but I'm guessing 6-8lbs. For the past several years I have kept a notebook where I've occasionally written down things like my weight and measurements, a food log, health/fitness goals, etc. The earliest date I have is Jan 1, 2011 - 2 months after my son was born. Today I weighed less than any recorded weight in that book. That feels pretty awesome. :-) I've also had more energy, allergies are much better, I'm sleeping better, and my skin looks great.

I'm ready to add some other healthy foods back in. I would like to add in legumes so that I can cut back on the meat. Also, whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, and oats. I've discovered that I really need the carbs and fiber and potatoes are getting old (never thought I'd say that!) I would also like to start eating yogurt and kefir again. I'm a little worried that I'll quickly slide back into bad habits though. The Whole30 works for me because the rules are very strict. I don't do well with "moderation". I've decided that rather than continue the Whole30, which feels safe to me, I really need to start re-introduction so that I can start tackling real life eating habits. Tonight I'm going to plan a menu for the week with that in mind.

Melissa Hartwig (co-creator of Whole30) just did a Periscope on reintroduction. It is on the Whole30 channel. It may be a good listen. Full disclosure, I have not listened to it in its entirety, just caught a few snatches here and there. 

• Like 1

Ok, this looks delicious so I made a pot today to get me started and just discovered my chicken broth has cane sugar in it! I'm already cheating! I'm eating it and I'm still counting tomorrow as day 1. I live in such a grocery wasteland I know I'll have other ingredient issues, but I really didn't anticipate chicken broth being my first one. Sad.

My Publix and Whole Foods both carry Imagine brand Free Range Low Sodium chicken broth, and it is compliant.  It is in one of those paper cardboard box things.  Honestly, it tastes pretty blah so if you can't find it you are not missing out on anything.  I should make my own I'm just way too lazy.

But yes, isn't it sad that even chicken broth has sugar?