Menu

What's with the ads?

Terabith

I have pneumonia

Blech. I've been fighting bronchitis stuff for six weeks. Would get better but cough never went away. Started feeling lousy again when the snow hit. I have a fever and a headache and am so, so tired. And coughing up nasty stuff. Urgent care doc gave me a shot of antibiotics and prescribed antibiotic and cough syrup with codeine. I'm hoping I can go back to work at the preschool on Tuesday but currently feeling rotten. Anyone had this and know what to expect?

This was me pretty much exactly a year ago--I went in to urgent care Sunday 1/25 after 2 weeks of bronchitis and I was diagnosed with pneumonia. It was the walking pneumonia variety, though I called it driving pneumonia--I could still drive my kids to their activities but I didn't really want to walk much, especially up stairs.

The antibiotics kicked in quickly. I had had off and on fever and after starting antibiotics had no fever within 24 hours. Each day I could notice a little improvement--able to sleep, no more lung crackles--something each day. Getting my regular energy back took several weeks. Go ahead and let yourself lie down or nap as much as you need to. Hope you're seeing some improvement soon.

did they do an x-ray?  you really need one for an accurate diagnosis. 

I had a dr at urgent care give me a rx for an antibiotic - but he didn't do an x-ray. (I was pg.) so, he said it was bronchitis.   My lungs felt full of fluid, and if I was in anything but a completely upright position, I felt like I was going to drown.  i didn't cough up anything when I had pnuemonia.  (except for the actual item I inhaled into my lungs.  that was it.).  two days later I did go to the ER - they eventually did an x-ray, and I was admitted.

it was a slow recovery, the coughing gradually reduced as the fluid in my lungs dissipated.  even weeks later, when I was starting to feel better, people said I sounded terrible.  (you should have heard me before .. . )

just rest and give it time.

eta: for clarification.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

It could take a while to fully recover, but if you don't feel somewhat better in 2-3 days, let the doctor know, as you might need a different antibiotic. That has happened here. Night and day once we got the right drug.

ETA: "a while" can mean weeks.

Edited by slackermom

My DD13 has pneumonia right now. Don't plan to go to preschool on Tuesday, it's not fair to the kids to be exposed to your germy coughing, and you will feel terrible. Enjoy lying down a lot for the next week.

Edited by NorthwestMom
  • Like 4

Blech. I've been fighting bronchitis stuff for six weeks. Would get better but cough never went away. Started feeling lousy again when the snow hit. I have a fever and a headache and am so, so tired. And coughing up nasty stuff. Urgent care doc gave me a shot of antibiotics and prescribed antibiotic and cough syrup with codeine. I'm hoping I can go back to work at the preschool on Tuesday but currently feeling rotten. Anyone had this and know what to expect?

:grouphug:

Please do not go to the preschool on Tuesday. Please.

• Like 4

I have pneumonia and this is my second day of antibiotics. The first day of treatment had a nebulizer and felt better that day. Today, I feel about the same as I have. For me, the worst has been the pain in one of my sides: I can barely get out of a lying position. My nurse practioner told me not to expect to start feeling better by Tuesday. However, due to a penicillin allergy, I might not be taking the fastest acting antibiotic.

Edited by MrsWeasley

Yeah, I can't imagine that I'm going to feel up to working Tuesday. I've just already missed two weeks of work with the previous iterations. Doctor said if I didn't have a fever and felt okay, since I would have been on antibiotics for 24 hours. But I am having a hard time imagining that I will have the energy. My head and chest hurt. I'm exhausted and weak and feverish. And just generally feel kinda rotten. Not to mention the coughing and intestinal woes.

If you have a fever of 100 or higher, then you have to stay home for 24 hours after it passes, without the use of any fever reducing medicine (common ingredient in cough/cold medicines)!

AND 24 hours on antibiotic.

Remember, it isn't just the little kids you are exposing, it is the infant brothers/sisters, pregnant moms, immune-compromised grandparents, etc!  2 extra days at home, can save countless families weeks of illness and possible complications. 

• Like 6

So sorry.  I had it about 3 years ago and it took a while to get over!  It was about 6 months before I really felt somewhat normal.

:grouphug: Rest and recover at home; pneumonia is nothing to mess with.  You will most likely need a longer break from work and outings.  

• Like 1

I had pneumonia last year and it took a good 2 weeks AFTER seeing the doctor and being on meds for me to feel better. It was terrible - sleeping was hard (couldn't lie down) and struggling to breathe really took a lot out of me.

Don't push yourself, it really does take time to recover from this. :grouphug:

• Like 1

I just had it this fall and have never been so sick. I was in bed for most of the week following my diagnosis. For the following three weeks, I would tire very easily. It took me a full month to get back to my normal day to day routines. I was quite healthy going into it, regularly going to the gym, easily walking 5+ miles a day, so be prepared for a long recovery time. 

Pneumonia is so hard on your body. Your body needs you to rest, rest, rest. Like someone else said, it is nothing to mess around with. I was shocked at how quickly it knocked me out and for how long. 

• Like 1

Just hate this. I don't feel up to reading or watching tv. I can't sleep. Just feel miserable.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

That sucks.

I had a sinus infection followed by bronchitis almost two years ago. I came downstairs each day and lay like a blob in the recliner in front of the TV, because I couldn't bear to be alone in my bedroom all day.

Feel better soon. :grouphug:

My good friend had pneumonia three years ago and she has never fully recovered. She still coughs all the time. She was in her late 20s and in good health when she got it, but she didn't get adequate care or take enough time to rest.

Please rest and let your body heal. Stay home and rest, rest, rest.

• Like 2

I had a bad case, and it took many months to recover. Ten years later, I still cough when I go out in the cold due to lung damage. So, take time to rest and recover. It might take a bit longer than you expect to feel better and get your energy back.

• Like 1

I have pneumonia and this is my second day of antibiotics. The first day of treatment had a nebulizer and felt better that day. Today, I feel about the same as I have. For me, the worst has been the pain in one of my sides: I can barely get out of a lying position. My nurse practioner told me not to expect to start feeling better by Tuesday. However, due to a penicillin allergy, I might not be taking the fastest acting antibiotic.

it's interesting a nebulizer helped you.  they gave me a nebulizer treatment in the ER (they were treating me as though I had asthma) - and it made me worse. (they tested my lung capacity before and after)  that's why they finally broke down and did a lung xray.

I had an older big gun antibiotic (administered IV while in the hospital) that required an antiemetic along with it.

eta: like trulycrabby - I was still coughing for MONTHS after the pneumonia cleared up, I have lung damage.  when I get really sick with a bad cold, the spot on my lung with the miniscule piece of food debris was sitting - hurts like crazy.  it's been eleven years, and this is the first winter I feel like I'm actually being healthy.  dudeling has been sick twice in the last month (which is major exposure for me) - and I didn't get sick. 2ds gave me his cold (glare), and it's only been a really sore throat, headache and fatigue - since friday.  nothing else.  for me, that's major improvement.

Edited by gardenmom5

I am so incredibly exhausted. This is pathetic. All I want to do is sleep.

Do it! Really, sleep is the best thing you can do. Please listen to your body and honor what it needs as much as you possibly can. 

• Like 3

Starting to wonder if people can die of exhaustion. I'm probably just feeling sorry for myself but just feel rotten. And useless.

How long does it usually take to start feeling better?

The first antibiotic I was put on (the one Urgent Care prescribed) was changed when I went to my PCP later in the week. She could still hear the rattling in my lungs after being on antibiotics for 4 days. Once I changed prescriptions, I started to get better a bit faster.

If you are still feeling truly awful or are not seeing much improvement and have been on your antibiotics for a couple of days, get back to your doctor-you might need a different antibiotic. Most people told me they saw marked improvement after the second day of antibiotics. 

Going back to doctor soon. Feeling pretty dreadful. Coughing, wheezing, chest and head hurt, exhausted and weak. Fever is back up. Praying doctor can do something to help. Desperate for relief.

Sorry you are still feeling awful. I hope they find a treatment that works for you. I'm about a day ahead of you on the antibiotics, and while nights are still really rough with coughing that prevents me from sleeping and makes me vomit, I'm feeling better during the day. The pain in my side no longer makes it really difficult to get out of bed. I'm using an inhaler, and that's really helped with the wheezing. I still feel very exhausted. However, I definitely notice an improvement. Today is my last dose of antibiotics. I will be on an inhaler for another week and a half. My nurse had told me that if I hadn't started to feel better by today to go back. 

My temperature was 101. They did a breathing treatment and are testing for whooping cough and mycoplasma. Says she has seen a lot of this bronchitis/ pneumonia lasting forever going around. Thinks it's viral. Prescribed a steroid and told me to go to bed and only get up to pee. Sigh. Referring to a pulmonology. I wish they could knock me out till I was recovered.

How long does it typically take before you can be out of bed for more than a few minutes without feeling awful and exhausted?

Edited by Terabith