Menu

Will I kill my children's love of learning?

lacell

I really like interest-led learning but recently started CLE math 1 for my almost 7 yr old (review and filling in gaps for him) and almost 5 yr old (new for her) due to my own teaching style issues (parental ADD and OCD). It gets done, and We are really loving it. I transcribe for my daughter when she starts to zone or or get that "I'm done" look. I add in some Right Start and c-rod stuff when a new conceptual topic appears. I'm really thinking of adding CLE reading and then language light units, just for 1st and half or 2nd grade. After that I plan to just do SWR or Logic of English Essentials combined with lots of interest-led creative writing. But I'm concerned that doing 2 subjects of workbooks will burn the kids out or make them hate learning, especially the younger child. Right now they love learning and I don't want to ruin that!!! Maybe I could spread out the workbooks by having more informal child-led projects every third day or something. My son likes writing stories to go with drawings to make a book, for example. Or we like math labs sometimes. I love the workbook approach in some ways, at least for this first grade year but I've heard so many anti-workbook statements that I'm afraid to do too much workbooky stuff.

I think it sounds like you are borrowing trouble ;)

Right now, what you are doing is working. It "gets done" and you're all "loving it".

When it STOPS working, when you begin to see signs of burn-out and the kids stop enjoying what you are doing- THATS the time to reinvent the wheel. You are right, sometimes a workbook approach really does work during those younger years. And I've definitely experienced the back-lash from mom-enforced child-led learning, lol.

Believe me, you will notice when what you are doing isn't working anymore, and it sounds like you will be ready with lots of ideas when that day comes. Until then, enjoy this!

• Like 3

We are going for a more interest led approach this year. However it took us forever to find a math program that worked for us (CLE) and I am not about to mess that up so we will still be doing that. We will also continue with CLE LA.

My kids HATE workbooks...with capitals.... but they do not protest at doing the CLE math and LA ones. Anything else and the tears start. I don't think just the two workbooks for those is too much and the first grades are relatively short lessons as well.

If it's working...keep it going till it's not.

• Like 1

My husband and I adored workbooks as kids. My eldest thrives on them and the solid, tangible achievement of completing a page. She actually doesn't respond well to open ended projects, she fails to see a goal to pour her perfectionism into.

If you like workbooks you may find your kids do too. I find learning styles are seemingly inherited to a point

• Like 2

The one thing that jumped out at me from your original post was that you scribe for your five-year-old when she get's that "I'm done" look.  I would try to stop just a smidge before she feels that way.  I'd rather go through the workbook a little slower and have her still love it by the end than burn her out faster by making sure we "get done" each day.

• Like 4

I've learned to keep what's working and let it be just that. I always saw gaps and ways I could improve in certain areas. When I decided to switch things up because of my own insecurities with their education, I ended up messing up what was working. We are now back to the basics and I wouldn't trade it for the world. We now have more time to do FUN engaging and hands on activities!

• Like 1