Menu

Norse Mythology for Older Student

My sons learned a lot about Greek mythology from Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson books. He recently released The Sword of Summer, which is similar, but based in Norse mythology. My boys didn't like it *quite* as much as the Percy Jackson series, but it is a start and a great introduction to the Norse myths.

Some of my boys have read D'Aulaire's Norse Myths as well, which another poster mentioned and I also recommend!

• Like 1

A fun intro without much detail would be the fiction series that starts with Loki's Wolves

Agreeing that D'aulaire's norse myths would be a good book as well.

We haven't tried these, but they are on our list:

Odd & the Frost Giants (Fun, kinda like Loki's Wolves)

Treasury of Norse Mythology (kinda like D'aulaire's)

Just today we started our semester-long study of Norse mythology with my DS 10 and 13 (5th and 6th).  We liked the D'aulaire's  Greek Myths we read last year, but didn't like the poetic tone of the Nat Geo Egyptian Myths this fall semester, so we are first reading D'aulaire's Norse and plan to work in Rick Riordan new book (read Percy Jackson in the past as well as The Red Pyramid this past fall) as well as Guts and Glory: Vikings. 

Myths of the Norsemen, by Roger Llancelyn Green. The introduction is written by Rick Riordan. :)

The Children of Odin, by Padraic Colum, is another choice that has some of the myths.

Both very readable retellings for older children (and mom, too, in the case of our family!)

• Like 1