Menu

For peeps who used Pathway Readers

elizahelen

Sooo First Steps is a sight word primer.. If you used phonics to teach reading, did you wait to finish phonics before beginning First Steps? Did you teach sight words?

I need some help! [emoji6] [emoji14]

I'm using alphaphonics, and we are at lesson 33 (not finished).

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

I just skipped First Steps. I used OPGTR and Alpha Phonics, then right into the first two Pathways books (without the workbooks, though my kid did pull them out and do them laer for funz) and then into Elson readers 2 and 3. From there, my oldest could read anything.

I wait until they are reading well enough to be able to read it easily. So essentially they are just reading it for fun and practice, not necessarily to learn anything. In fact, with my latest reader, I forgot about it for a while so he was well past that level when we finally read it, but my other boys loved those stories so much, I didn't want him to miss them.

• Like 2

Yes, I didn't start First Steps until he was starting Logic of English Foundations C. Then we also did Days Go By and More Days Go By, and didn't start Busy Times until he'd finished LoEFC. I use it mostly for him to practice paying attention to punctuation, etc., when reading out loud.

• Like 1

Yes, I didn't start First Steps until he was starting Logic of English Foundations C. Then we also did Days Go By and More Days Go By, and didn't start Busy Times until he'd finished LoEFC. I use it mostly for him to practice paying attention to punctuation, etc., when reading out loud.

We go through Logic of English Foundations A and B also before starting the Pathway readers.

• Like 1

I love the Pathway Readers. We used TATRAS phonics, which teaches most words as phonetic and not sight words. We started with Bob Books set 1, sounding out even the "sight words" and then did Pathway Readers and my kids were able to sound out the words in First Steps. I just tell them, "ai says eh in this word" to get them through words like said.