Menu

I was thinking about Little House...

thinking I should read through Little House in the Big Woods and making a list of all the things Ma knew how to do, and then comparing it with what I know how to do, except I think it might be too depressing.

Also, does anyone else think they should have just stayed in Wisconsin?

I was just saying this to my oldest the other day! He is a 14 year old guy but had never read these books, and heard me reading them to the little kids and got interested, so he got them out and read through them all in a day, (cool thing about being a homeschooled kid- he doesn't care if other kid's think it's unmanly or babyish to read Little House), and we were discussing them and agreeing how everything kept going wrong after they left Wisconsin. They had everything they needed in the big woods and it seemed so cozy.

I know they couldn't farm with all the woods around, and it was probably harder to find grazing ground for any animals they owned, and maybe eventually, it would have become more populated and harder to find game and natural resources to live on.

ETA: I have always thought Ma's system was a good idea though- you know, bake on Monday, churn on Tuesday, wash on Wednesday, and so on. (I'm not remembering it in the right order off the top of my head, but her system made sense).

thinking I should read through Little House in the Big Woods and making a list of all the things Ma knew how to do, and then comparing it with what I know how to do, except I think it might be too depressing.

Well, if it's any consolation, it would've likely taken Ma months to figure her way around these boards and the internet. :lol: You've got *that* on her.:lol:

My dh has never read the books and he didn't like the show. He told me he didn't like it because in every episode somebody almost dies. I told him, "That's the way the books are! One little thing is different and somebody dies!"

My oldest son read through the books when he was about 8 or 9. I had gotten them out to reread myself and he saw them and got interested. That is a cool thing about homeschooling!

Well, the first successful one that we completed.

We finished it and dd asked me to read it again.

I will say that that was their job. No college. No high school, even. They learned out to make everything they needed. Oh, your hat is worn? Ma will weave new ones for everyone.

*I* would have stayed in Wisconsin. But, the meat was getting scarce and Pa had been making money from trapping furs. And *I* don't know how to make a log cabin, including chinking and leather straps for door hinges. Or butter. Or cheese. Or...headcheese? ick.

However, it does make me feel lazy. Hobby? What hobby. She was knitting and crocheting so they would have clothes to wear.

I live about an hour from where they settled in SD and it just amazes me that this part of the country was settled. It's blazing hot in the summer, freezing cold in the winter. There's still hardly anybody here ;). The farming is good but it is in milder parts of the country, too. I think, maybe that we've lost the appreciation for what it meant to own land and to be so connected with it farming.

I used to really idolize Ma. I thought she was the pinnacle of womanhood. She followed her man to the ends of the earth and back, she homeschooled her kids, she could feed them on practically nothing, she could make any thing or any day special....she could even make the baby a coat out of feathers...now how is that for ingenuity.

Now that I am older and have been married for 23 years, raised or am raising 7 children, I wonder about her sanity! She had a nice home in Wisconsin, close to her family (and Charles's family,) with a productive farm and close friendships. It seems to me that Charles (in real life) was a bit of a putz. He was willing to sacrifice all he had for adventure...when the going got rough he would pick them up and move.

I guess my real assessment of the situation is in what really happened to the fruit of their union. Mary never married, Laura became a very liberal (for that time) woman who had one child, who was a bit of a feminist. (no problem with that, except it seemed to me to be a reaction to her momther's willingness to be moved anywhere...no questions asked, by Charles's whims.) Caroline's children knew starvation, threat of death by warring Indian tribes, city life of saloons, etc. In short their lives were far from idyllic...interesting to look back on and retell, but not exactly idyllic...kwim??

I really used to wish I was Laura...and to go back to those days...but as an adult...and a mature woman, I don't find those books warm and fuzzy any more. I find them frightening. AND as the mother of daughters who are married or of an age to be thinking about it...I do NOT want them to find a Charles...I would rather they found a nice solid young man who would encourage them to stay a bit closer to security...or at least accept their wife's advice and wisdom into the decision making process.

So, sorry I got long winded...but I have really thought about this for years...I am a Little House lover...but my views have changed so much over the last 15 years.

~~Faithe

We say that on a regular basis as we read through the books.

We went through the basic set a few years ago, then started over again with Martha, Charlotte, Caroline, Laura, and just started on Rose. So often I find myself wondering what the heck they were thinking with some of the decisions they made.

Yes, I have always thought it interesting that America's most famous family has no direct descendents. But I don't think I would blame that on Ma and Pa's marriage.

Mary would have had to marry a man rich enough to hire out what she couldn't do, which never happened.

Laura had another son that died in infancy, and after his illness, Almanzo was never the same.

Carrie married but never had children (effects of near starvation in formative years?). I think Grace got married as well, but also never had dc.

Laura's dd Rose had a son who died in infancy (as did Ma).

I think the Little House books are great, but I know quite a few people who try to recreate that life for their own children - seriously- complete with pioneer-looking dresses for everyday wear. Last time I checked it was 2008 not 1880. :tongue_smilie:

I think Ma acted like many women did in her time. But this is another time (thank goodness).

I moved around a lot as a kid (6 states in 12 years), and it was nothing but a wonderful experience. I got to see and experience the culture of different parts of the country and gain a greater understanding of people in general. I was one of those kids who had no trouble making friends though and I can understand how it would be hard on some kids.

Eeks, I won't tell you what I thought of Pa.......Okay, I will. I thought he was an immature jerk. He was always putting his need for adventure above what was good for his family. Constantly borrowing money that he was going to pay back when his crops came in. Taking stupid risks. His theology stunk too.

I especially despised him when he talked Laura into giving him all her hard earned money so that Mary could have a piano (organ?). What a loser. Sure, it was great for Mary, but it wasn't Laura's idea, and she needed that money for herself.

I can't decide whether to admire Ma for her loyalty towards him, or to think she simply had no backbone when she should have said "Has it ever occured to you that you are killing us???"

Now that I am older and have been married for 23 years, raised or am raising 7 children, I wonder about her sanity! She had a nice home in Wisconsin, close to her family (and Charles's family,) with a productive farm and close friendships. It seems to me that Charles (in real life) was a bit of a putz. He was willing to sacrifice all he had for adventure...when the going got rough he would pick them up and move.

I really used to wish I was Laura...and to go back to those days...but as an adult...and a mature woman, I don't find those books warm and fuzzy any more. I find them frightening.

~~Faithe

Me too. I read almost all of them (the originals) to ds in the last couple of years and The Long Winter about did me in. I found it so depressing. When I read that book as a child, I did not get that they nearly starved to death. We followed TLW with Farmer Boy and it was so refreshing! All that food! Wow. The fact that Laura nearly starved to death probably explains why she wrote about the food in Farmer Boy in such vivid detail.

My Mom told me that Laura wrote the books as a means to teach children to remember the happy times. And I must say she did a fair job of spinning even the most horrible of times as having good parts too.

I especially despised him when he talked Laura into giving him all her hard earned money so that Mary could have a piano (organ?). What a loser. Sure, it was great for Mary, but it wasn't Laura's idea, and she needed that money for herself.

I too think he put his family's best interest behind his need for adventure. However, the organ purchase (with Laura's money) seemed to me to be because he felt so horrible about Mary's blindness. I think they all did.

Also, when I read these books as an adult, I didn't much like Mary. Even after she was blind, I thought she was catty and condescending to Laura.

I can't decide whether to admire Ma for her loyalty towards him, or to think she simply had no backbone when she should have said "Has it ever occured to you that you are killing us???"

Maybe she did. I doubt they would have let the girls know about such conversations and certainly Laura wouldn't have written about it. I did notice that they didn't go beyond SD even though Pa really wanted to. There might have been many a heated discussion about that. I think by the time they survived TLW Ma had reached her breaking point with his foolishness.

These books have been a traditional read aloud during winter evenings ever since our oldest were old enough to listen. My dh absolutely loves. Secretly, he images himself being Pa Ingalls. I think Pa had wanderlust; Wisconsin was getting too settled for him, and he heard of the land in Kansas. So off they went.

We have taken several trips to S. Dakota, Minnesota and Pepin, WI. One summer we even made the trip to Kansas and through Mansfield, MO. Lots of wonder Little House memories.

I will add to that though. We were re-reading the books to my middle dd, and our oldest was listening in again. She had heard them when she was about 5 or 6 previously. I think it was the one on the prairie, maybe, where they encountered Indians, Ma made some deregatory comments about them, but Pa seemed more open minded. Anyway, my oldest really heard that comment for the first time and got very upset. Obviously it had sailed right over her head the first time we read it. My girls have Native American heritage from their dad's side, and take it very seriously. Unfortunately, Little House has never been the same for my oldest since that.

I enjoyed them much more as a child than as an adult. As an adult, they were just too sugar coated for me, but they were written for children. I often wondered if Ma ever said anything to Pa about all the moving around and disrupting family life. I felt she came across a little 'cold-hearted'. Remember when Laura wasn't allowed to cry when they thought they had lost Jack? Maybe that's the way it was then? But I found her a little too distant for my tastes.

I've often wondered what life was really like behind the walls of their cabin. It wasn't all sweetness and fun listening to Pa play his fiddle. I guess I remember stories from my grandmother who born in the hills in 1880. When my grandma was real little, her mother was very sick one winter. Dad was gone to town working. She was afraid she was going to die, so she told her children to put her body under the floorboards because she would stay frozen and they could bury her in the spring. That kind of stuff that you don't find in a children's book.

In spite of all that, we love those books and are getting ready to re-start the series shortly.

Janet

AND as the mother of daughters who are married or of an age to be thinking about it...I do NOT want them to find a Charles...I would rather they found a nice solid young man who would encourage them to stay a bit closer to security...or at least accept their wife's advice and wisdom into the decision making process.

Do not ever let your dd's marry an entrepreneur. I am saying this with respect, but people are cut of different cloth - thank goodness. I know that some of Pa's judgement was a bit questionable, but I see him as an early day entrepreneur.

My dh is an entrepreneur. In the years we've been married we've made a lot of money and we've lost a lot of money. Our lives are a roller coaster. Sometimes we're up - sometimes we're down. However, our life and lifestyle has allowed us (and our kids) to travel to 6 of 7 continents, dine with famous business leaders, meet dignitaries and politicians and experience some incredible things. This likely wouldn't have been possible if my dh settled into a 9 to 5 job in the suburbs.

If my dh had chosen a life of security and stability there would be several hundred less 9 to 5 jobs in the suburbs for those not cut of the same cloth.

I will add to that though. We were re-reading the books to my middle dd, and our oldest was listening in again. She had heard them when she was about 5 or 6 previously. I think it was the one on the prairie, maybe, where they encountered Indians, Ma made some deregatory comments about them, but Pa seemed more open minded. Anyway, my oldest really heard that comment for the first time and got very upset. Obviously it had sailed right over her head the first time we read it. My girls have Native American heritage from their dad's side, and take it very seriously. Unfortunately, Little House has never been the same for my oldest since that.

I doubt that passage would have made it through the editing process today. In the 50s when these books were written being PC wasn't such an issue. I used that passage with ds to show him that we all have our flaws and that no doubt that particular flaw of Ma's was fueled by fear---she had some family killed by Indians---is that correct? Anyway, we talked about the importance of not stereotyping an entire group of people based upon our dealings with a few bad--or good---ones.

I for one am glad that comment was left in. It gives some dimension to a woman who, as you say, at times seemed cold. As wrong as she was to feel such hatred and fear of all Indians, she certainly felt passionately about the subject.

Considering that we started the series leaving Zacatecas, Zacatecas, Mexico and finished in Cottage Grove, Kansas, we LOVED the series and still listen to odd tapes now and then on the road to town (we live about 15km from the shopping town and 6 km from the nearest settlement). I packed up the family, we lived on the road for 4 years and then settled down in Mexico and now the kids, after a year in the same area, have an itch to roam again, so we're heading out in October to cover old trails and new ones in Mexico. I'm a bad person to ask as the wanderlust is deeply ingrained in my being. :)

I doubt that passage would have made it through the editing process today. In the 50s when these books were written being PC wasn't such an issue. I used that passage with ds to show him that we all have our flaws and that no doubt that particular flaw of Ma's was fueled by fear---she had some family killed by Indians---is that correct? Anyway, we talked about the importance of not stereotyping an entire group of people based upon our dealings with a few bad--or good---ones.

I for one am glad that comment was left in. It gives some dimension to a woman who, as you say, at times seemed cold. As wrong as she was to feel such hatred and fear of all Indians, she certainly felt passionately about the subject.

I agree - we've used a LOT in many books as springboards for discussion.

I guess I should listen to all the advice & stay in Wisconsin, huh??

I am reading the books to my dd & ds, and they just love them. My dd wants to be Laura, and was hearbroken when she found out she couldn't go meet her sometime! I like the lessons they teach about children obeying, and doing their chores-without argument! And the fact that Laura was happy and most content when they were just all together as a family.

I used that passage with ds to show him that we all have our flaws and that no doubt that particular flaw of Ma's was fueled by fear---she had some family killed by Indians---is that correct?

I wonder. In the Caroline books it mentions that the Indians her father befriended kept the family from starving after her father died. They don't mention any problems with the Indians.

But I haven't made the leap to reading the actual historical account of the family, so I don't know what's missing from the books. What little I've read about the real history has discouraged me from wanting to find out more (for instance, the way Jack's death occurred was different). If I do start reading obsessively about the family, please come and shoot me, okay? Because we've been reading these books a-chapter-a-day for years and years, and I think it's starting to affect my brain :blink: When I'm old and senile I'm going to be jabbering about when we lived in South Dakota and had to twist straw for the fire ....

I don't' think the passage should be taken out, and I would probably be upset if they reprinted the book without it. My dh and I just took the comment within the context of the time and situation in which Ma lived. We took quite a bit of time explaining it to our dd, but nonetheless, it truly upset her, and Ma and Little House were never the same for her. I guess it's a history lesson she needs to learn although not a pleasant one. But I also remember that Pa was more reasonable than Ma about the Indians. No doubt, she had very good reasons for what I perceived as her cold attitude. I don't recall if she lost a family member to an Indian raid, but no doubt they knew of people who were killed by Indians. I remember well the mother in The Yearling. When I first read the book, I detested her. Now as an adult, I view her very differently.

I, for one, have no desire to go back and live when the Ingalls did. I would love the simplicty and quiet and independence, but not the lack of medical care, electricity, running water, indoor plumbing, transportation, just to name a few things. However, there are quite a few issues we have today that I could easily give up.

Janet

We took quite a bit of time explaining it to our dd, but nonetheless, it truly upset her, and Ma and Little House were never the same for her. I guess it's a history lesson she needs to learn although not a pleasant one. But I also remember that Pa was more reasonable than Ma about the Indians. No doubt, she had very good reasons for what I perceived as her cold attitude.

I, for one, have no desire to go back and live when the Ingalls did. I would love the simplicty and quiet and independence, but not the lack of medical care, electricity, running water, indoor plumbing, transportation, just to name a few things. However, there are quite a few issues we have today that I could easily give up.

Janet

How old was your dd when she was upset by Ma's comment? Ds was only about 6 I think, and I think it went over his head. I had to point out how wrong it was of Ma to hate Indians. So I was wondering if your dd was older when it upset her.

How old was your dd when she was upset by Ma's comment? Ds was only about 6 I think, and I think it went over his head. I had to point out how wrong it was of Ma to hate Indians. So I was wondering if your dd was older when it upset her.

She was older. The first time she heard them she was 5 or 6, and it didn't even register. The next time she was 10. We were re-reading the books to prepare for our trip through Kansas and Missouri.

She's always been and still is very sensitive. She has a very hard time watching movies where people are mistreated. And animals.

Janet

This thread is like a train wreck. Thoughts of the Ingalls family never made me depressed before.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to depress anyone, if it was me. Just got me to thinking about the books and the family. They were a big part and are a big part of my family. My girls would dress in their prairie dresses, teach school to their dolls with their McGuffey readers. Have tea parties outside under the tree pretending to be Mary and Laura. They have watched and re-watched every episode. Many good things. Just real life with all the good times and bad times and human imperfections.

Anyway, I'm through because I have 4 boxes of peaches waiting to be peeled and canned. I'm sure Ma would be half way through them by now. If it weren't for this dratted internet....

Janet

I used to really idolize Ma. I thought she was the pinnacle of womanhood. She followed her man to the ends of the earth and back, she homeschooled her kids, she could feed them on practically nothing, she could make any thing or any day special....she could even make the baby a coat out of feathers...now how is that for ingenuity.

I guess my real assessment of the situation is in what really happened to the fruit of their union. Mary never married, Laura became a very liberal (for that time) woman who had one child, who was a bit of a feminist. (no problem with that, except it seemed to me to be a reaction to her momther's willingness to be moved anywhere...no questions asked, by Charles's whims.) Caroline's children knew starvation, threat of death by warring Indian tribes, city life of saloons, etc. In short their lives were far from idyllic...interesting to look back on and retell, but not exactly idyllic...kwim??

I really used to wish I was Laura...and to go back to those days...but as an adult...and a mature woman, I don't find those books warm and fuzzy any more. I find them frightening. AND as the mother of daughters who are married or of an age to be thinking about it...I do NOT want them to find a Charles...I would rather they found a nice solid young man who would encourage them to stay a bit closer to security...or at least accept their wife's advice and wisdom into the decision making process.

So, sorry I got long winded...but I have really thought about this for years...I am a Little House lover...but my views have changed so much over the last 15 years.

~~Faithe

I found that reading them as an adult gave me an entirely different view of Pa too. I really didn't like him. Same basic reasons that you found. My mother just reread the books and came to the same conclusion. He was not the man we remembered. I think many of my original opinions about Pa came fromt he television series instead of the actual books. When I read the books, I was totally focused on the children and really paid no attention to what the adults were doing.

Hyperventilating here....

Okay, as a self proclaimed Little House junkie, who has read probably 3 or so different biographies of Laura and one on Rose, I LOVE THESE BOOKS!

I do think there was a lot of "signs of the times," such as Pa seeming to completely rule the family, but wasn't that how it was back then? Can you imagine how it was for him? Women were allowed only very limited opportunities to work, so EVERYTHING fell on him. Hunting, gardening, raising animals, being at the mercy of the weather. UGH. Also, Laura wrote these books mainly from memory, so a lot of the adult reasons for moving and such really don't come across the in the books that well. In fact, in one bio I read it said that Little House on the Prairie were Mary's memories, and Little House in the Big Woods were Laura's memories. (I guess they lived in Wisconsin, moved to Kansas, then moved back to Wisconsin befor heading to wherever Banks of Plum Creek is, which I can't remember right now.)

I have a grandmother who very much reminds me of Ma. I would never call my grandmother a doormat though. Just because she doesn't constantly argue with my grandfather doesn't mean she doesn't let her feelings known, or that my grandfather doesn't take them into account when making desicions. (Doesn't mean I'm cut out for that type of marriage, but it works for them.)

Life was hard back then. Many did die of starvation. Did anyone watch that show on PBS where they took three families and they had to build their own log cabins and live off the land for half a year or so? I don't think they almost starved to death, but I do remember the families talking about the hunger and guilt they were going though putting their kids through that. Back then I think it was just a way of life.

I always thought that even though the events that happened in the stories were hard, it was the family love that pulled them through. An earlier post mentioned about the fruits of the family...well, it's true the Charles Ingalls family didn't have a lot of descendents, but Laura's love for her family and childhood caused her to write about them as an elderly lady, whose books are still being read many decades later. So Pa couldn't have been that much of a jerk. It was quiet, well manered Ma who insisted all her children have a very good education (it was because of Ma that Pa settled near towns so their kids could go to school.) Because of this love of learning, Laura insisted the same for her daughter Rose, who actually had quite a career as an author and journalist herself before helping her mother write the Little House books. (And yes, Rose was a feminist, which I would think meant something different then than it does today, but either way I love Rose's feminism, and as a feminist myself that doesn't bother me at all.)

One thing...no, we don't like the fact that Ma was racist towards Indians, but it's important to include that part about her. How can we understand what life was like back then if we constantly white wash the not so pretty parts. My own grandmother who reminds me of Ma doesn't like "Indians" much either today, and she's very much part Native American!!! For me and my kids, it's important to see how attitudes and perceptions influence our thinking so we can guard against them.

Okay, now that I've written a book here when I'm supposed to be homeschooling, just ignore this post. These books were my first and most lasting literary love, so I guess I feel a little passionatly about them. (Can you tell???)

Off to school now!:seeya:

I could never have been a pioneer. I would not have moved 400 miles away from my family without telephones, cars and airplanes.

Several years ago, I read an article about the genetics of early Americans and the genetic predisposition to lust for adventure, new places, try new things...boldly go where no man has gone before, etc, etc, etc. In the article it talked about how the outflow of adventurous, pioneering type personalities from Europe to the US in the 1700-1800 is really what led to much of the European countries losing their influence in the world. That same flow of people, with that genetic trait for adventure (for lack of a better word), is what led America to grow so quickly into a major global influence who is achieving so much. In 200 years we went from a brand-spanking new country to having people on the moon! There has historically been that push to see what's next, what can we do next. That push is what defines America to me.

Obviously Pa had that trait as well, and Laura to some degree.

ummm...yeah....When I was a girl my mother made dresses & bonnets for my sister & me and we wore them and played "Little House" for hours & hours & days & Days.

I still like these books as read-alouds to my kids. My ds8 remembers them fondly. We're almost ready to read them again wtih ds6. We talk about how hard it was in the "Little House days" compared to our life. These books really give us a sense of what it was like to be a child during this time period. Yes, they can be depressing, if we look at them through our modern day eyes, or they can make us thankful that we're not pioneers. I, for one, don't think I'm strong enough. I complain if I have to work 3 shifts in a row and come home to a messy house! I can't imagine sweeping a dirt floor or doing the kind of work it took just to have some maple syrup on my pancakes or flour for a cake. Thank GOD I live today!

I had this in my bookmarks: Laura Ingalls Wilder Timeline

I think the thread particularly depressed me because of the thoughts about starving to death. It really wasn't all depressing and negative to begin with. I have had that "never fully awake" feeling. I was starving from Ulcerative Colitis. I went to the doctor begging to be fed through an IV with something to help me sleep. I had totally given up. I can't imagine going through those feelings as a child, and/or with no hospital and IV to look to.

I always thought that even though the events that happened in the stories were hard, it was the family love that pulled them through. An earlier post mentioned about the fruits of the family...well, it's true the Charles Ingalls family didn't have a lot of descendents, but Laura's love for her family and childhood caused her to write about them as an elderly lady, whose books are still being read many decades later. So Pa couldn't have been that much of a jerk. It was quiet, well manered Ma who insisted all her children have a very good education (it was because of Ma that Pa settled near towns so their kids could go to school.) Because of this love of learning, Laura insisted the same for her daughter Rose, who actually had quite a career as an author and journalist herself before helping her mother write the Little House books. These books were my first and most lasting literary love, so I guess I feel a little passionatly about them. (Can you tell???)

Several years ago, I read an article about the genetics of early Americans and the genetic predisposition to lust for adventure, new places, try new things...boldly go where no man has gone before, etc, etc, etc. In the article it talked about how the outflow of adventurous, pioneering type personalities from Europe to the US in the 1700-1800 is really what led to much of the European countries losing their influence in the world. That same flow of people, with that genetic trait for adventure (for lack of a better word), is what led America to grow so quickly into a major global influence who is achieving so much. In 200 years we went from a brand-spanking new country to having people on the moon! There has historically been that push to see what's next, what can we do next. That push is what defines America to me.

ummm...yeah....When I was a girl my mother made dresses & bonnets for my sister & me and we wore them and played "Little House" for hours & hours & days & Days.

I still like these books as read-alouds to my kids. My ds8 remembers them fondly. We're almost ready to read them again wtih ds6. We talk about how hard it was in the "Little House days" compared to our life. These books really give us a sense of what it was like to be a child during this time period.

Thank you all for giving this thread a positive spin! Hopefully there will be more.

Here's my 2 cents worth. :001_smile:

First, Caroline was afraid of the Indians. Well, the realtionship between Indians and white folk hadn't always been peachy, so I sorta think she nmight have had a right to be a little fearful of them.

Secondly, If the exploring people hadn't included families, NOTHING would have been developed, aside from an antiquated trading post! What do men need when they move to a new place? What do women need?

It was important to have some people exploring and be willing to venture beyond the outskirts of town. Even now there are places that I could not imagine living. While vacationing in Yellowstone/Jackson last year, we traveled down a dirt road. There were a couple of ranches that sit 12 miles down the DIRT road. That was a 20 minute drive to your MAILBOX. And I won't even think about wintertime. To me, that might as well BE Little House in the Middle of NOWHERE.

I still like these books as read-alouds to my kids. My ds8 remembers them fondly. We're almost ready to read them again wtih ds6. We talk about how hard it was in the "Little House days" compared to our life. These books really give us a sense of what it was like to be a child during this time period. Yes, they can be depressing, if we look at them through our modern day eyes, or they can make us thankful that we're not pioneers. I, for one, don't think I'm strong enough. I complain if I have to work 3 shifts in a row and come home to a messy house! I can't imagine sweeping a dirt floor or doing the kind of work it took just to have some maple syrup on my pancakes or flour for a cake. Thank GOD I live today!

OH MY GOSH!! I sooo know what you mean. I am that Mom who made prairie dresses and used the Prairie Primer my first hs'ing year. I loved little house, one room schoolhouses, the togetherness through really rough times. Oh, wow!!! I wanted to BE Ma!!!! I guess after so many years of hard times...and an entrepenureal type dh...I am a bit jaded. I think Laura must have been a bit too...since she refused to "obey" in her marriage vows...took newspaper reporter jobs, and was a strong independent woman. I guess I might have changed from admiring Ma to admiring Laura :D

She really was an amazing woman!

As far as my dd's...one is married to a Physics Major...she is a Graphic Designer...one is a swim coach, lifeguard, swim instructor who is in college...and also teaches at a pre-school. Independent.

My other dd is 10...so we'll see :tongue_smilie:

I don't think any of them are really Ma's...they are more like Laura's.

I guess I am more of a Laura too...I am DEFINITELY NOT a Mary :D

As far as that entrepenureal spirit....I am not really there. It totally stresses me out.

I think when I was younger, and I married my Charles, I really didn't get the whole picture. I didn't realize the toll of such a difficult type of life on a woman...and I have it nowhere as hard as Ma had it. There are no drums in the backround, we have central heat and air...and a woodstove if we run out of oil...we have health insurance, for now...most modern conveniences...BUT back when i married, I adored the idea of a pioneer's life...I learned to sew and can and cook from scratch...bake bread, grind flour. We were pretty poor so we relied a lot on my ingenuity to stretch our dollars as far as possible...BUT it has taken a toll. I hope my dd's (and sons) have a more secure go of it. It seems to me Ma left all that security to follow her Charles. I wonder how her parents felt.

HMMMMM

``Faithe

I guess I don't have that gene. Both my mother's family and my father's family came to here before the US was a country.

Do not ever let your dd's marry an entrepreneur. I am saying this with respect, but people are cut of different cloth - thank goodness. I know that some of Pa's judgement was a bit questionable, but I see him as an early day entrepreneur.

My dh is an entrepreneur. In the years we've been married we've made a lot of money and we've lost a lot of money. Our lives are a roller coaster. Sometimes we're up - sometimes we're down.

If my dh had chosen a life of security and stability there would be several hundred less 9 to 5 jobs in the suburbs for those not cut of the same cloth.

What an interesting observation. We have several entrepreneurs in the family and an old friend who is one. All of these families have been through what you describe.

Our old friend was a neighbor and I remember some pretty bleak times, including the period when she moved the answering machine to the far corner of the basement because they were getting so many angry calls about something her dh was in, she didn't want the kids to hear.

It also takes a pretty unique and hardy spouse to hang in there with the entrepreneur. Sounds like you could write a book as well.:001_smile: