Menu

FAFSA ID question

TheApprentice

I thought my stress was suppose to come down after my child got some acceptances. Nope. Could someone please walk me through the process of obtaining the parent FAFSA ID. My son went through the steps this evening to get his ID, but I did not see how I'm suppose to get one that ties me to him. From my understanding, the parent is suppose to have a separate ID that is still attached to the student. And he did not get an actually number. I don't get it. If you have gone through this process, could you share, please?

Thanks

I don't think your ID is linked to your child's ID. Your ID is used to verify your identity and you only need it to electronically sign the fasfa as the parent. You use the same website that your chikd used to get your own ID. You follow the same process.

IIRC, the ID is used for more than FASFA, including applying for government college loans.

I just looked at my notes. The ID is really just a username and password. You will also have a SAVE KEY that you chose so that you or your student can save your progress as you fill it out.

I know it seems confusing because IT IS! Only the government could come up with something like this. After you both get your username and passwords set up, Have your student login to the FASFA site and it will let you know when you need to input your ID. I believe it's only near the end of the process.

Good luck.

Edited by NicksMama-Zack's Mama Too
  • Like 1

I don't think your ID is linked to your child's ID. Your ID is used to verify your identity and you only need it to electronically sign the fasfa as the parent. You use the same website that your chikd used to get your own ID. You follow the same process.

IIRC, the ID is used for more than FASFA, including applying for government college loans.

I just looked at my notes. The ID is really just a username and password. You will also have a SAVE KEY that you chose so that you or your student can save your progress as you fill it out.

I know it seems confusing because IT IS! Only the government could come up with something like this. After you both get your username and passwords set up, Have your student login to the FASFA site and it will let you know when you need to input your ID. I believe it's only near the end of the process.

Good luck.

AMEN. It just gets stupider and stupider!  And this year, I have two FAFSAs to complete.  :svengo:

Thankfully, so far, I have two of the three IDs completed.  Annoying because I've used my email for dd in the past so she doesn't get the endless emails reminders about  FAFSA. But now, each ID must have a unique email address.

I've never had it go smoothly.  This year, I'm wondering how my stolen tax refund last year and new IRS PIN will play into using the data retrieval function.  Will I be able to do that?  Last year, we couldn't, and we weren't even able to get  certified copies until mid July or so.

FAFSA is going to give me an ulcer eventually, I'm sure of it.

AMEN. It just gets stupider and stupider! And this year, I have two FAFSAs to complete. :svengo:

FAFSA is going to give me an ulcer eventually, I'm sure of it.

The second FAFSA should go quickly. When you complete the first, there is a prompt to copy all the parent info to a new FAFSA for an additional child.

The Edvisors guide to the FAFSA is excellent if you want step by step advice. Free e-book or available for purchase if a physical book is easier.

https://www.edvisors.com/fafsa/book/direct/

If you have any PROFILE schools on your list, that one is worth getting an ulcer over. Otherwise, just believe me when I say the government form is much, much easier.

And, it is actually getting easier instead of stupider. You will reuse this FAFSA's data on next year's FAFSA. This is because the system is changing to "prior-prior year." In other words, you will use the tax forms you filed the previous April, rather than the one you will file the upcoming April, starting next year. No more guessing then updating.

The second FAFSA should go quickly. When you complete the first, there is a prompt to copy all the parent info to a new FAFSA for an additional child.

The Edvisors guide to the FAFSA is excellent if you want step by step advice. Free e-book or available for purchase if a physical book is easier.

If you have any PROFILE schools on your list, that one is worth getting an ulcer over. Otherwise, just believe me when I say the government form is much, much easier.

And, it is actually getting easier instead of stupider. You will reuse this FAFSA's data on next year's FAFSA. This is because the system is changing to "prior-prior year." In other words, you will use the tax forms you filed the previous April, rather than the one you will file the upcoming April, starting next year. No more guessing then updating.

Thank you, very encouraging!  I did #1dc yesterday and am taking a break before I do #2 dc.  That makes me feel better already to hear that the info will copy.

I've seen the Edvisors guide when I google more info for questions.  So I can count of what they recommend to be accurate?  I am always confused by "fair market value" of rental property, for example.

Thankfully NO CSS!!

I'm still going with stupider over easier.  Just because it looks like it might be doesn't make it so.  I say this after working several years with federal government paperwork, where every single change has been for the worse!

:crying: :ack2:  Ye gads. I have to do the PROFILE for ONE university dd has applied to. ONE! :blink: I'm leaning toward talking her out of this university... :P

I finished the FAFSA on-paper worksheet, but haven't gotten the accounts set up yet - I am honestly terrified of messing something up!!  It was on the agenda for the past two weekends, but I have been just-busy enough to allow myself to put it off. :bored:  Deadlines are looming, though, so it's crunch-time now.

I'm a bit :mellow:  that the helpful Edvisors Guide to the FAFSA is 192 PAGES LONG!!!!

• Like 2