Menu

What are your curriculum plans for 2016-2017?

I will have two seniors, so we will be in the "get everything they still need on their transcript done" mode.  

A lot will depend on what the co-op schedule looks like for this fall, since we use it for science and some other things.

One dd will be schooling entirely at home, most likely.  

English: EIL

Math:  TT Pre-Cal

US Gov/Economics: This will be a combo of various texts I have at home and online videos.

Science: Likely Physics of some sort.  We are still trying to decide.  She wants to join a robotics club and wants to tie her science into that somehow.  

My other dd:

English:  Either DE Eng Comp. or something at co-op

Math:  DE Pre-cal/Trig

Science:  Hopefully something at co-op.  Otherwise it will be Physics or advance Biology of some sort.

US Gov/Economics: Same as dd above.

Plus a generous helping of college applications and part-time jobs.

• Like 2

We're unschoolers and ds (14) is hellbent on attending certain colleges, so his preferred plan for 10th grade will most likely look something like this:

• Teaching Textbooks Algebra 2 (continuing from this year)
  • Daily Sparks Writing
  • No Fear Vocabulary
  • Various novels and short stories of his choice
  • Painless Chemistry and Painless Earth Science
  • Biology and Chemistry lab work done at the science museum (5 minutes away)
  • Short Lessons in World History
  • SAT and TASC prep workbooks
  • Muay Thai boxing classes (3x/week)
  • Piano (lessons) and ukulele (self-trained)
  • Lots of computer coding, programming, building, and gaming 
  • Self-study of 2D animation (reading bios of his idols, using software, workbooks, sketchbooks, and professional tools)
  • Art, Technology, and/or English classes at the community college - 1 or more per semester (or more depending on how he likes the one he's doing this year)
  • Many NYC field trips, Broadway/Off-Broadway theater, and restaurant visits
  • Like 2

My biggest move will be to get the Teaching the Classics DVD training set and some of their materials, and to implement that as both writing/literature work.  

For my rising 4th (gasp!) grader:

- Math- SM 5b and probably 6 at current pace

- Writing- combo of various sources, Bravewriter approach/lifestyle

- Spelling- Apples and Pears... cuz it's working!!!

- Histroy- SOTW and French resources

- Science- Ellen McHenry's The Elements and maybe The Body Book with little sis

- Nitty Gritty LA- French correspondence course from Sainte Anne (grammar, conjugation, spelling)

- German- Umm... finish DuoLingo then move on to online course?  Not sure yet.

Other stuff?  Probably, but this set-up will be our must-do items.

DD, rising 2nd grader:

Math- SM

Spelling- A and P

Writing- Also BW approach

History- SOTW

Science- The Body Book and...  hmmm...

French correspondence course for her LA

German- DuoLingo

• Like 4

I went from feeling all excited about the plans I am pulling together, to feeling sick to my stomach with the feeling of incompetence after seeing whatever others are planning.  :laugh:

So far (for the older three) I'm thinking ...

Sonlight Cores B & G

Math Mammoth, Life of Fred, Zaccaro

First Language Lessons 1&2 (continuing for 1 child), R&S grammar 3 and 5.

Writing With Ease (continuing), oldest might begin WWS at some point in the year

Spelling Power for all

Visual Latin for oldest

I guess I will be adding something for Logic, and I still have no idea what I want to do for science (but that appears to be a perpetual state).

The youngest will continue learning to read and write, and enjoying stories, informal math, and games.

• Like 8

So far...

10th Grader

*Algebra 2 (Saxon)

*World Geography (still working on this but it will be homegrown --looking for the right Spine to pull it together)

*Earth Science (that's what we're calling it on his transcripts but it's a homebrew --  we're going to work through the lens of The Big History Project and tackle some Cosmology, Astronomy, Geology, Ecology, Oceanography and Meteorology in an multidisciplinary, inter-curricular approach, we'll touch on the CK-12 Earth Science spine here and there )

*British Literature (Homebrewed -- going to England, Scotland and Wales during the year... want him to connect to that)

*Russian continued

*Music - continue clarinet lessons and playing in church orchestra

*Something from the co-op

and 6th Grader

*Math -- probably Saxon 8/7 for him... not fully decided, it will be his first year home and while Saxon is the right fit for Muppet Boy, I'm not sure for LG

*Parallel World Geography ... we'll study the same overarching areas but with differentiated assignments

*Parallel "Earth Science" - see above again CK-12 Earth Science as the fall back spine

*English - homebrewed writing and literature (British Focus) with some kind of grammar reinforcement.

*Wants to focus on Coding and learning Japanese

*Something from the Co-op

EXTRAS: both in Scouts, youngest in Archery... probably some kind of theatre group.

I think.

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 2

Still making decisions but right now looking like...

DS, 4th grade:

CLE Math 400

Phonetic Zoo

SOTW Vol 2

Classical Conversations Foundations

Classical Conversations Essentials??

Interest-led Science

Books, books, books

Art, soccer, gymnastics, horseback riding, piano and Scouts (not all at the same time)

DD, 2nd grade:

AAR 2/3

AAS 1/2

Queen's Language Lessons

Getty Dubay Intro to Cursive

SOTW Vol 2

Classical Conversations Foundations

Books, books, books

Art, gymnastics, soccer, horseback riding, theater and piano (not all at the same time)

We are also going to focus on character building and home/life skills. We will have a new baby and it is a good time for the big kids to take on some responsibility. For Bible, we mostly read aloud from one of our Bibles or devotionals and discuss. 

• Like 2

I went from feeling all excited about the plans I am pulling together, to feeling sick to my stomach with the feeling of incompetence after seeing whatever others are planning. :laugh:

Sonlight Cores B & G

Writing With Ease (continuing), oldest might begin WWS at some point in the year

Spelling Power for all

Visual Latin for oldest

I guess I will be adding something for Logic, and I still have no idea what I want to do for science (but that appears to be a perpetual state).

The youngest will continue learning to read and write, and enjoying stories, informal math, and games.

I understand the feeling, this place is a blessing and a curse. I know more than once I've posted all jazzed and proud and then leave all let down. Hugs.
  • Like 5

As my husband says, these plans are written down in wet sand during high tide. But...

7th:

Pre-algebra, probably Saxon 1/2.

Apologia General Science or a Earth and Space something or other.

MFW Rome to the Reformation or that time period the WTM way with Kingfisher and the library.

Art from that period

Music from that period

WTM literature

Some type of daily grammar review

Latin Alive

WWS

Logic? Critical Thinking?

Dance. Auditions are in May and she may be in a company.

Home Ec and Child Development. ("Please cook dinner because your brothers don't sleep and then read them stories so I can nap...")

Preschool:

LOL

Edited by Kristie in Florida
  • Like 3

Y'all are making me feel like a slacker. I have ideas, not plans, at this point.

I've got summer term done. 

French-review units from Ecoutez, Parlez 1,2

Latin-continue Second Form Latin

Math-continue CLE, will be in 600 series, and Key to Decimals series book 1

Grammar/Composition-CW Poetry for Beginners Book B

History-Arkansas State History

Science-Prentice Hall Explorer's Series Astronomy (Best time for us to get clear skies is in the summer)

Literature-Shakespeare Stories (Garfield), and watching a few plays

• Like 6

Our school year officially starts from September but as both kids came out of PS after Easter break, we mostly start new stuff each April. so planning is well underway already and this is what I have lined up for DoodleBoy (8) and FlowerGirl (9 with LDs). Here in UK they are in Year 4 and Year 5 according to birth date but I'd place both as 3rd Grade, US style!

Maths- continue with MEP, Year 4 for Doodle and Year 3 for Flower. I've considered Singapore for Doodle but he wants to stick with MEP.

English- ELTL 2 and if we successfully school through summer (no planned house move this year, so fingers crossed) we will start ELTL3 after Christmas.

AAS 3 and 4, depending on how fast they each progress during the year.

KS2 reading comprehension exercises once a week. Kids hate them and I'm not sure they benefit either much, but I'd at least like them to be familiar with the layout in case either ends up taking the KS2 SATS test in Year 6.

I'm considering adding EIW into the mix too as I'd like them to have a bit more explicit writing composition instruction. ELTL feel quite light on this currently, but I believe it picks up in later levels. Not sure if it would be overload to do both and really don't want to put off my very reluctant writers.

Flower will continue with her Occ Therapy exercises as they have really helped improve her handwriting.

French- continue with Nallenart grade 2 and 3. We only recently started this program after their former weekly homeschool class was cancelled. Flower also listens to multiple songs in French per day and learns to sing at least 1 per week (though doesn't understand fully what she is singing yet).

History- a homemade mix of SOTW and Our Island Story to try and incorporate more British History. Continuing from where we are now we will cover the Roman Invasion through to Spanish Armada hopefully. I'll definitely add in the brilliant CGP books when available for certain topics, but that getting more difficult as the current NC demands all primary school level history to be confined to pre 1066.

Geography- finish up Mapstart 2, then I'd like them to do a detailed British geography for the next year or so. Unlike the many options for 50 states style US geography that exist, there is NO equivalent for the counties of UK! I'm going to have to piece this together myself from scratch, which may be beyond my abilities (I know very little UK geography, BIG reason why I want my kids to learn it) so I might need to find a back up.

Science- Just given up on yet another curriculum. Kids have hated them all so far. I haven't found anything I love either, which makes it hard to plough on through. I'm currently pulling together something to cover Animal Kingdom, Human Anatomy and Plant Life Cycles to see us through to summer. I can do this myself as I have a degree in Biochemistry but I'd really rather not due to time constraints (I work outside the home as well as homeschool). Really want to find a curriculum we can just follow and get done instead, one that covers everything and I like well enough to make it work.

Arts- A mixture of stuff from Harmony Fine Arts and Artistic Pursuits each week, for Art, Picture/Composer Study. Mainly Flower who choose to do these by choice in her free time. Doodle tags along as and when he feels like it, which is okay by me.

Religious Studies- this year we just expanded on our history topics by looking at what ancient people believed and read lots of the stories from the polytheist mythologies. Really enjoyed it and would like to continue through next year to cover the monotheist ones as well, to include Christianity, Islam and Judaism. Once again though I can't find anything non-biased and age appropriate, so would need to do it myself.

Citizenship, Social and Health Education- continue working through our Folens/Collins guides for this. It works, its mainly common sense, but gives us useful prompts for topics of discussion.

Music- Both will continue their private violin lessons and also attend the Saturday morning Area Music Centre classes and Summer School in July. Flower will continue the Junior choir.

ICT- continue with typing.com and/or dance mat typing. Doodle will carry on working through his Scratch project book, then move onto Python coding.

Extras- Twice weekly swimming and coaching session weekly. Both are Cub Scouts and Flower will be aiming to complete her Chief Scout silver before she graduates to the full Scout section (eligible from September-gulp!) also planning march with the local Bonfire Society again next season.

I'd like to add in some extra PE somewhere, but neither are big sports fans and its so expensive (no homeschool discount) I'm not sure how I'd fund it anyway. Also love to have proper character instruction in our schedule but that will need some serious thought on my part and I'm already snowed under.

• Like 2

As of right now I have a rough idea.  But that is scheduled to change at any moment!

For 4th Grade:

ELTL 4

Beast Academy 4

Fix It Grammar

Spelling by Sound and Structure OR All About Spelling 

Possibly doing Medieval writing with IEW or Write Through History OR Writing and Rhetoric (depends on if I think ELTL writing is enough or not enough)

Latin of some kind, I haven't researched this enough to decide yet.

Pentime 5 Cursive

Possibly Wayfarers medieval history....possibly something else entirely.

Possibly Wayfarers science OR Home Science Adventures by Stratton house (we are loving the set we got this year so I might do the next set next year)

For my 2nd grader:

ELTL 2

Singapore Math or maybe CLE or Beast Academy 2 when it comes out.  

All About Reading 3-4 (depending on how far we get in 2 this year).  Reading is his struggle.

All About Spelling whichever level(s) we get to.  He's doing Level 1 right now.

Pentime 4

Science and History with his older brother.

• Like 2

Together:

History: SotW Ancients 

Art: ???

Shakespare: ???

First Grader:

Language Arts: AAS, FLL, WWE, HWOT

Math: Rightstart 

Science: BFSU

Music: Suzuki Violin and Classics for Kids

Fourth Grader(!):

Language ARts: AAS, FLL, WWE

Math: Beast Academy, plus other stuff while we wait from more to be published (Jousting Armadillos, Calculus by and for Young People, not sure what else....), maybe starting AoPS pre-algebra if Beast Academy comes out on schedule

Science: I have no freaking clue. We've really liked Ellen McHenry's The Elements/Carbon Chemistry and have thought about doing more of her stuff, but I wanted to do physics with her this year, though there's this other part of me who fantasizes about having my two grammar stage kids combined for science....

Music: piano and Classics for Kids

Spanish: Rosetta Stone

Geography: Drawing Around the World Europe

• Like 1

DS7

Maths - mep, Galore park, Problemoids Math Challenge, Zaccaro's Challenge Math, Mental Maths - Arthur Benjamin, Murderous Maths, Cryptoclub and Soroban

Logic - ?

English/Latin - Galore park + lots of books & videos 

History - Galore park, History: King and Things, The Story of Europe from the Fall of the Roman Empire to the Reformation

Science (Biology/Chemistry/Physics) - Galore Park, Basher Science Books, Elements + library books and stem toys + Science center's Lessons

Astronomy/Meteorology/Geology - free home school lessons + library books and documentaries

Technology - Programming and Coding + toys based on RPI + Lego Mindstorm+ IT and Robotics Course 

Russian - Language + Literature + History

Picture Study

Extra's - Tennis, Ballet, Gymnastics, Swimming, Mt, Piano, Chess

DS5

Maths - SM, Soroban, MEP

Logic - Break the code, Lollipop Logic

English/Science - Galore Park + Lessons at the Science Center + Variety of Books, Videos and STEM toys

Geography - Evan Moor

Technology - Coding + Lego WeDo + IT and Robotic Course

Russian - Lang + Lit-re

Picture Study

Extra's - Gymnastics, Swimming, Ballet, Mt, Piano, Chess

• Like 2

I went from feeling all excited about the plans I am pulling together, to feeling sick to my stomach with the feeling of incompetence after seeing whatever others are planning.  :laugh:

Sonlight Cores B & G

Spelling Power for all

Visual Latin for oldest

Go back and read my post! You will feel better!!!!  ;) (It's just math and reading....and yeah, I'll force some copywork down some throats too....)

Sometimes I think if you've found your rest and peace in your own plan, the best thing to do is ignore everything else!! 

• Like 3

Y'all are making me feel like a slacker. I have ideas, not plans, at this point.

French-review units from Ecoutez, Parlez 1,2

Latin-continue Second Form Latin

Math-continue CLE, will be in 600 series, and Key to Decimals series book 1

Grammar/Composition-CW Poetry for Beginners Book B

History-Arkansas State History

Science-Prentice Hall Explorer's Series Astronomy (Best time for us to get clear skies is in the summer)

Literature-Shakespeare Stories (Garfield), and watching a few plays

At least you have ideas, I'm completely empty!

• Like 5

Math---CLE 6

Spelling--Soaring with Spelling (he is a lucky natural speller)

English-Killagon Grammar for Middle School

Reading---assigned reading, fun reads and probably Figuratively speaking

Science--Real Science 4 kids

History--- not sure yet

Writing--Jump In

• Like 2

No need to feel like a slacker! I wouldn't be this far right now if we didn't have to choose between the local community colleges (we are within reasonable reach of three) for dual enrollment, and then get applications together for registration this spring for the fall term. She'll finally be eligible for the community college program next semester, so we are starting from scratch with that. 

• Like 4

My son will be in 8th grade. Our co-op will plan classes for next year in February, so things could change. We do 3 classes, 2 of which normally have homework. One is usually some type of fun elective.  

Bible: Continue an overview of the entire bible using AO; should be to the New Testament

History: CLE's Changing Frontiers (US history)

Science: probably Apologia Biology in co-op 

Math: Algebra 1 if I feel he's ready, haven't chosen which text yet;

Patty Paper Geometry

Latin: First Form Latin (giving this a try to see if Latin will be his high school foreign language)

Language Arts: Co-op might have a composition class (Elegant Essay if no writing there, or if I don't feel it's enough.)

Memoria Press American Literature Short Stories and Poetry

CLE LA

Word Wealth

Books: haven't chosen these yet; I might continue leading a book club. 

Piano/Guitar: just started piano, might pick up guitar, too

Basketball

Edited by mom31257
  • Like 2

March changes :)

DD - 11th grade (waiting for acceptance letter into local CC)

Comp I / Comp II (DE)

Chinese I / Chinese II (DE)

Intro to Stagecraft / Intro to Theater (DE) Costuming / ??? (DE)

Acting Fundamentals / Acting I (DE) Makeup / ??? (DE)

Dance Fundamentals (DE)

finish Geometry and Algebra (MUS)

Introduction to Astronomy / Introduction to Geology (Teaching Co, etc.)

extracurriculars: all theater based 

DD - 7th grade

Algebra I (Saxon, Alcamus)

H Earth/Space Science (FLVS, TOPs experiments)

H Physical Science (FLVS, TOPs experiments)

Vocabulary / Grammar (Lukeion Wordsmith, Diagrammarian)

Spelling (finish Megawords series)

Writing (WTM Academy WWS 2)

Literature (Lightning Literature 8)

Hake Grammar 7

Adv. U.S. History (FLVS, Critical Thinking US History Detective) Taking this over the summer

H World History (FLVS - second semester only) Taking this now

CNN Student News

WTMA Story of Modern History

TC History of the U.S.

additional readings

Socratic Discussion (WTMA - one semester)

Geography (WTMA - one semester)

Latin I (MP First Form Latin)  CLRC Intermediate Latin I

Information Technology (FLVS)

extracurriculars: rowing team, triathlon training, 4-H

DS - 5th grade

Saxon 65

Beast Academy 4

LOF Fractions

Oak Meadow 5 (U.S. History, Environmental Science, English)

CTC Science Detective

CNN Student News

additional readers in history and science

VP self-paced Omnibus I - secondary

Hake Grammar 5

Writing and Rhetoric 1-3

Spelling Power or Megawords

Vocabu-Lit E

Kolbe Elementary Literature ???

VP self-paced NTGR

CTT Greece and Rome

VP Legends and Leagues - North and South ???

CTT Animation 2

additional art class - undecided  Phonics of Drawing and Art Adventures in Narnia 1 & 2

extracurriculars: 4-H, soccer team, cross country team, triathlon training, swim team (maybe)

Edited by Melissa B
  • Like 2

Sonlight Cores B & G

Spelling Power for all

Visual Latin for oldest

I always feel like less than an underachiever after coming to this site, but I still read things over here to get advise.  

Edited by armom
  • Like 3

My plans are still in the "thinking" phase.  

My twins in 10th:

Sonlight Core 200 or MFW AHL (I cannot decide) - We will use this for history, bible, Literature and some writing

Discovering Design with Chemistry 

Spanish for one and Latin Alive 2 for the other

Algebra 2 (plan on using Foerster)

art appreciation or music appreciation

thinking of using The Elegant Essay (have on the shelf) or The Power in his Hands for writing

7th grade student:

Sonlight Core E

Sonlight Science G

AOPS PreAlgebra 

CAP Writing and Rhetoric

BJU English 7

• Like 1

Haven't even thought about it, so this is a good opportunity to do so. Let's see how many decisions I have yet to make, shall we?

3rd grade:

Reading- no clue. I know I want to introduce the idea of literature study.

Spelling- either Spelling Workout or Spelling Power. I own both, so its probably a matter of what I'm in the mood for come September.

Grammar- either Language Lessons for Today grade 3 or Easy Grammar grade 2 or Treasured Conversations. So, pretty much, no clue.

Writing- Language Lessons for today includes copywork. I already have EIW level 3. It doesn't excite me. I would love to try something from IEW. I get the BraveWriter emails and could implement some ideas but it would take a little effort to plan. Still clueless.

Math- This I know for sure!!!! Math Mammoth level 3!!!

History- American History year 2 using who knows what as a spine. Will probably be pretty free-wheeling.

Geography- Doesn't Guesthollow have a geography curriculum for this age? I should probably look into that.

Science- well, I missed the Mr. Q annual sale so I dunno. I would like to try RSO. Maybe. Maybe not.

Extras- we might get to those Deep Space Sparkle art lessons. Piano daily will happen. Swimming lessons will also happen.

Kindergarten:

Reading- I really want McRuffy Reading and Phonics but I don't like the price. Plus, I already own 100 Easy Lessons (boring!).

Math- Saxon 1 or Math Mammoth 1. Own both so we'll see which is a better fit for him in Sept.

Will tag along with big sis for the rest. He'll have his own swim lessons.

I am counting 9 subjects that I don't have a solid answer for. Meh, I'll start sweating around May. Then panic will set in for the still undecideds around August 1st. They're young and resilient, right?

• Like 2

Haven't even thought about it, so this is a good opportunity to do so. Let's see how many decisions I have yet to make, shall we?

3rd grade:

Reading- no clue. I know I want to introduce the idea of literature study.

Spelling- either Spelling Workout or Spelling Power. I own both, so its probably a matter of what I'm in the mood for come September.

Grammar- either Language Lessons for Today grade 3 or Easy Grammar grade 2 or Treasured Conversations. So, pretty much, no clue.

Writing- Language Lessons for today includes copywork. I already have EIW level 3. It doesn't excite me. I would love to try something from IEW. I get the BraveWriter emails and could implement some ideas but it would take a little effort to plan. Still clueless.

Math- This I know for sure!!!! Math Mammoth level 3!!!

History- American History year 2 using who knows what as a spine. Will probably be pretty free-wheeling.

Geography- Doesn't Guesthollow have a geography curriculum for this age? I should probably look into that.

Science- well, I missed the Mr. Q annual sale so I dunno. I would like to try RSO. Maybe. Maybe not.

Extras- we might get to those Deep Space Sparkle art lessons. Piano daily will happen. Swimming lessons will also happen.

Kindergarten:

Reading- I really want McRuffy Reading and Phonics but I don't like the price. Plus, I already own 100 Easy Lessons (boring!).

Math- Saxon 1 or Math Mammoth 1. Own both so we'll see which is a better fit for him in Sept.

Will tag along with big sis for the rest. He'll have his own swim lessons.

I am counting 9 subjects that I don't have a solid answer for. Meh, I'll start sweating around May. Then panic will set in for the still undecideds around August 1st. They're young and resilient, right?

Lol, your plans look like mine.

Edited by mama25angels
  • Like 1

Math: CLE

Grammar: CLE

Writing: WWE

Handwriting: Zaner-Bloser

Spelling: Undecided. Probably a mixture of AAS, Zaner-Bloser Spelling and Spelling Power.

Critical Reading: "Daybooks for Critical Reading & Writing", Mensa Kids reading list.

Creative Writing: Probably Evan-Moor

Science: CPO Science (probably Earth & Space) and Ellen McHenry

History: SOTW 3

Latin: LfC

German: my own curriculum I'm putting together

Vocab: Vocabulary from Classical Roots and Wordly Wise

Bible: CLE

Geography: mapping workbooks and book list from Guesthollow blog.

Start up piano lessons again.

Gymnastics

Swimming

online typing program

oh yeah and art... some kind of art appreciation, art history, artist study, etc. mix I will put together including working through "Drawing With Children".

Youngest one will be doing AAR and ETC till she can read fluently.

Edited by strawberryjam
  • Like 1

Here's what I'm thinking so far (not even set in Jello yet!)

Some form of literature class, maybe G3, mostly for social reasons. DD is thinking the Shakespeare looks interesting. She will probably continue to be a teacher's assistant at Athena's as well.

Environmental Science or ecology at the college level, either live or hybrid (online with live labs).

Continue biology, microbiology, and herpetology research (with her mentor). She will hopefully have enough replicant data after this season to start preparing her project for possible publication, which would also basically be her writing curriculum for the year. Possibly a special topics course, since Entomology is working well (Icthyology is a possibility, as is more work with invertebrates)

AOPS Intermediate Algebra OR take a year and review/solidify Pre Algebra, Beginning Algebra, and Geometry. Puberty is starting to hit hard here! Statistics as needed for science, R programming.

History--DD wants to do Australian history, and it's worked well to have her work through Galore Park, so I'm planning to get their high school level textbooks and go from there. Apparently a new edition is due out for 2016.

Latin-Comtinue Galore Park. I think DD would love Lukeion, but I'm not sure about finding time, especially if she's starting college classes, so I'm thinking another year at home won't hurt.

Piano, music theory (with private instructor and with me)

Cheer team and tumbling, unless DD wants to try something else.

• Like 2

DS8 - Memoria Press 4A (minus their use of R&S Math - we do Saxon + BA instead), I'm considering using MP's online academy for First Form Latin

DS6 - MP 2nd grade

DS3 - Keeping him outta stuff and engaged in appropriate stuff

DD10 months -- enjoying the last drops of babyhood.

• Like 2

I will have a 6th and 8th grader next year.  Oh my!

Together, they will do:

Language Arts     MCT Level 4 (assuming we finish up Voyage level)

MCT Lit - Search and Time Series

Possibly EIL level 1

Lots of good books

History                 6th grader - Notgrass America the Beautiful

8th grader - Will probably listen in.  He wants to follow his own interests and have a year of research and writing/ projects.  We will see...

Science               Exploration Education Advanced

OR, Thames and Kosmos kits along with KSE and living books to cover physics and more chemistry

Math                   6th grader - AOPS Algebra 

8th grader - AOPS Intermediate Algebra 

Latin                   Visual Latin 2

Co-op                 Whatever is offered but 8th grader wants to continue with German

PE                      6th grader - Competitive gymnast, hoping to be level 6 next year

8th grader - AAU Basketball - might try out for local public school team as well

• Like 1

I always love to see how my plans change .... But for now....this is what I am thinking...

Dd--6th grade

Bible- maybe a return to BSGFAA....maybe not...undecided, definitely continue with Megaverses and catechism

Math- Math Mammoth 6

LA:

Spelling: most likely R&S 7 but I am considering Megawords

Grammar: Analytical Grammar

Writing: most likely WTMA expository Writing ...considering AttuneUp as well...

Reading and Reasoning

Literature: VP and MP mix

History: VP self paced MARR

Science: not sure...leaning towards Education Exploration intermediate

Spanish: Middlebury Interactive

Piano and gymnastics

Ds-4th grade

Bible- maybe a return to BSGFAA....maybe not...undecided, definitely continue with Megaverses and catechism

Math- Math Mammoth 4

LA:

Spelling: PZ A or possibly considering Megawords

Grammar: IEW Fix It or FLL 3

Writing: TC

Handwriting: cursive copy work

Reading and Reasoning

Literature: VP and MP mix

History: VP self paced MARR

Science: not sure...leaning towards Education Exploration intermediate

Piano and tennis

Dd- 1st

Math- Math Mammoth 1/2

LA:

Phonics: AAR 2/3

Spelling: AAS 1-2

Grammar/Writing/Handwriting/Literature: BraveWriter Quiver of Arrows, maybe FLL 1

History: Legends and Leagues and ??? Probably interest led from our read alouds...

Science: not sure...

Piano and gymnastics

Edited by ByGrace3

My youngest will be in 8th grade, it's got her more freaked out than me but not by much.

****All of this is likely to change depending on what our new town's Co-op offers as classes.....

For DS who will be 15 and 10th grade

Alg. 2 will be out sourced- I've got a call in to the CC near where we will be living but doesn't look great, so maybe Derek Owens or WTMA, at least the free Saxon online group.

Soc. Stu.- US History and Government 1 (first half of American History and .25-.5 credit worth of Government. I'm going to mix a couple syllabus' (fundafunda and Now is the Best Time) using K12 AO, OUP Pages from History, and TGC US History lectures. We'll cover pre-Columbian time to Civil War for 10th grade and do the rest the next year.

Eng.-I'm looking at EIW and we'll do our own American Lit or EIL (only 1st half to be concurrent with Hist.)

Science- Chemistry using ..... Spectrum, maybe. Something really well laid out and simple to implement.  

ASL 2- my goal is to get him fairly vocab fluent then send him to CC in 11th.

Electives- If the CC lets him take the Alg. Class in the Fall I'm hoping I can convince them to let him take a Comp. Sci in the Spring, or we'll do a drawing class that DD will actually help teach (Manga) and maybe an Art History or Film History class (I'm sure I can find something) to make a full Fine Arts credit.

DD who will be 13 and in 8th grade is a whole other set of parameters

We're moving to a major metro area!!!!!! (seriously beyond excited). She may have an opportunity with a just starting Sudbury school. I'm not sure what their requirements are/will be but if it fits her's and my needs we may do that with a modified version of the following......

Math- Either CLE 8 or Power Basics Algebra (she'll do CLE Algebra in 9th)

English- Maybe some of the EIW, what I can convince her to do plus she'll read the same books/stories and do discussion with us.  I might be able to get her to write a paper within the curriculum's assignment but more likely she'll rework it into  what fits her interests.

U.S. History with her brother, she'll just do the Great Courses lectures and maybe some of the primary Document readings. 

Probably teaching us the basics of Manga drawing, and joining a, soon to be, local theater group for Stagecraft/costume designing.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 1

DS/10th

Geometry, either Birkhoff or Moise/Downs (still thinking)

WHA Rhetoric

Center for Lit British Literature

ACE or Novare for Science (Intro to physics and chem)

Probably World History, currently thinking Notgrass

La Clase Divertida 2 online

Aeroscholars

Ukelele/Choir/Bells/Civil Air Patrol for E.C.

DS/4th

Strayer Upton Arithmetic

CM skills for English

Maybe Apologia Astronomy

A Child's History of the World

A First Book in American History

La Clase Divertida

DD/1st

Ray's Primary Arithmetic

Smithhand

Lots of books

Edited by birchbark
  • Like 1

Math: Singapore Math Standards Edition + Challenging Word Problems + Fan-Math

Language Arts: YOUNGER TWO: Homeschool Australia's Learn to Read, Write & Spell Kits. Bravewriter Lifestyle + Jot It Down. OLDEST: Bravewriter Lifestyle + Partnership in Writing.

History, Science, Social Studies etc: KONOS Volumes

Aboriginal Studies/Australian History: Crackerjack Education

Art: Discovering Great Artists by Maryann Kohl

Health: Healthy Living from the Start (Oak Meadow)

Home Ec (Eldest): Lessons in Responsibility for Girls

Technologies (Eldest): Digital Camera + Photo - Editing Software

• Like 1

This is really on my mind.  My dd8 will be starting grade 3, so her first more serious year of work.  I think I have a good sense of what I might do with her:

Math - MM

History - A Child's History of the World, the ancient and medieval sections, and then I think semester 1 we will listen to OUr Island Story, and semester 2 some Canadian history stories.  We might also read Viking Tales here.

Literature - I think with this student I'll just be picking books that will appeal, my main goal will be upping her reading stanima.  She tends to avoid longer books, and she needs some carrots in this area.

Spelling - this will be her first time with spelling, and I am going to try sequential spelling since I have it.

Writing - we'll be trying to get deeper into the copywork I think, and work on cursive.  I am thinking about some sort of creative writing, as that seems to be something she enjoys.  I might think about W&R Fable, just the first book over the whole year, and much of it orally.  But that really depends on how other things are going.

She'll still do choir and piano and probably guitar, and I think we will do an online drawing course.

I need to find something physical she'll enjoy, and think about French.

Dd 11 is tricky - she is in grade 6 and will probably be going to a brick and mortar French immersion program for grade 7.  We'll carry on with MM for math, but I want to be more formal than I would have been otherwise for writing - something that is a one-year set of work for grammar and essay-type writing, and we will probably do another level of SS.

We'll also need to work on her French.

I am really on the fence about lit and history.  I could just have her read a lot, but some analysis, maybe especially with poetry, would be nice.  With history we are due to go into the modern period for both world and Canadian history, but I am not sure how I want to handle that.  It would be nice to integrate history and/or lit with writing.

She'll do piano and violin, and may I think more from the jr to adult choir.

I have to think about science for both as well, I'm tending toward geology.

Ds6 will be starting K, I haven't thought much about that yet - I don't have a sense of where he will be in September yet.

Edited by Bluegoat

Currently my plan is... do more school, learn some stuff. Y'all are all crazy with these specifics at this point! We're barely halfway through this year. :laugh:

(No offense meant for anyone who gets joy from planning!)

I was just thinking this, though part of me would LOVE to have the next 18 months planned out before Baby gets here. Most of what we're doing is already "turn the page" so there's not much planning to be done anyway.

I'd really like to add art and Spanish and flush out science... but we'll have to see how much time I'll have to do those anyway.

• Like 1

We don't have any big changes coming. I was thinking of moving DS into heavier independent work this year (mostly because I am going to be doing the last of my undergraduate classes), but I think I will keep him with our BYL studies and get through at least AAS 3 before considering a more independent curriculum in Fall of 2017.

DS8 

Language Arts: Language Lessons for the Elementary Child Vol. 1 by Queen

Copywork/Dictation:  BYL Gr 2
Poetry:  BYL Gr 2

Math: Singapore 4

Science:  BYL Gr 2, local co-op class, McHenry Science - The Brain and The Elements

Spelling: All About Spelling 1, 2, 3

History: BYL Gr 2: SOTW Vol 2

Art: local co-op class

Music: Local homeschool chorus

Reading List (I think my list is up to about 10 books)

DD6

Language Arts: Language Lessons for the Very Young Vol. 1 by Queen

Spelling: All About Spelling 1

Copywork/Dictation:  BYL Gr 2
Ă¢â‚¬â€¹
Poetry:  BYL Gr 2

Math: Singapore 2

Science:  BYL Gr 2, local co-op class

Social Studies: BYL Gr 2: SOTW Vol 2

Art: local co-op class

Music: Local homeschool chorus

Reading List: Ginn readers

Read Aloud Lit List: BYL Gr 2

Other thoughts:

We have been exploring some foreign languages this past year, not sure if we will start formal curriculum next year on any of them.

This summer we will continue working through BYL Prehistory and BYL Harry Potter.

Edited by againstthegrain

Currently my plan is... do more school, learn some stuff. Y'all are all crazy with these specifics at this point! We're barely halfway through this year. :laugh:

You should see my spread sheet with our plan for the next 4 years lol. It's more of a goal sheet that will change. I just need to know where we are going and to make sure we cover every branch of science and all history cycles. I realized I had so many ideas floating around about specifics I would like to cover and their are things like poetry that we have never done. I had to write a plan to make sure I could fit it all somewhere. It makes me feel like we are covering what we need to even though I might drop the whole plan when we get to that year.
  • Like 3

Ok.

the school year starts here in Vic Aus tomorrow. this is our year plan

DD16

She will be doing year 12 this year -  plan for next year will be doing Open Uni units and the following year starting her degree- atm she wants to study Occupational Therapy

finishing off grammar book  that she didn't quite complete last year (aBeka)

Classical study of books using WEM, Grun and reading list - modern times

WWS level 3

last half of Advanced Math - Saxon

Japanese - correspondence school

Year 12 biology - online- similar to a Community collage

Art appreciation

Spielvogel world history

reading list

great expectations

the return of the native

the life and times of Fredrik Douglass

Huckleberry Finn

The Great Gatsby

Grapes of Wrath

I can  jump puddles

I am David

Night

Ann Frank

Berlin

Lord of the rings

A town like Alice

the invisible man

Goodnight mister Tom

The great Escape

DS12 -

he has pretty bad Dyslexia so he is all over the place with levels and abilities

Math Saxon 65 - almost complete followed by 76

LEM spelling

last 2 books of Explode the Code

Writing program - first half of year Wide Brown Land then Aus Unit IEW

Diagraming workbook once a week

Rod and Staff Grammar book 5

Dictation twice a week own sentences (min 6)

an extra phonics program form Speech Pathologest ( which I haven't seen yet)

Chemistry  mix of resources

History WTM style modern times

Reading list

all these books are abridged either Usborne reading series or stepping stones and are at or just above his reading level.

Treasure Island

The Hound of the Baskervilles

Robinson Crusoe

Tom Sawyer

Pinocchio

The First World War

Hitler

The Second World War

The Holocaust

20 and 10

Swiss Family Robinson

The Vietnam War

Twins will be going to Preschool x2 days a week.

also doing large amount of fine motor therapy ( min 2 hours a day)

Learning Alphabet and counting up to 20

very slowly doing OPGTR

Reading eggs

Rod and Staff early workbooks

Spielgaben

large amounts of small games and activities that help develop problem solving skills etc. like animal dominos, memory game, leapfrog, barrel of monkeys, snap, etc

later in the year

Bob Books

Fitzroy readers

• Like 1

2 year old- all aboard the animal train (for two's)

1st grader- mfw 1st math, Lang, and Bible only

4th- Singapore math, Rod and Staff Spelling, language lessons for today, and finish explode the code books (might finish this year)

Both- Prairie Primer as core and La Clase Divertida level 3

All subject to change, but this is what I'm thinking right now:

9th grade - Apologia Bio, TT Geometry, MUS Geometry instead, Notgrass history, LLATL Gold, not sure what for writing (probably Writing to the Point), R&S Bible, book list for literature

7th grade - TT 7, Easy Grammar, LLATL Green, WTM writing, Fallacy Detective, R&S Spelling, Apologia General science, R&S history

5th grade - MM 5 TT5, R&S or CTGE LLATL Purple, WTM writing, R&S Spelling, Logic Countdown, interest-led science and Exploring Nature with Children, R&S history, Typing Club

3rd grade - MM 3 TT3, PLL R&S English, R&S Spelling, WWE 3, Teach Me Joy cursive, interest-led science, Exploring Nature with Children, R&S history

Plus Bible memory, music, Lamb's Book of Art art projects from Pinterest with 3 younger ones, I really want to do more read-alouds... and I think that's it.

Edited to Update

Edited by hollyhock

You should see my spread sheet with our plan for the next 4 years lol. It's more of a goal sheet that will change. I just need to know where we are going and to make sure we cover every branch of science and all history cycles. I realized I had so many ideas floating around about specifics I would like to cover and their are things like poetry that we have never done. I had to write a plan to make sure I could fit it all somewhere. It makes me feel like we are covering what we need to even though I might drop the whole plan when we get to that year.

I get you. I do. I have to see the big picture or I loose ground easily.

My plan actually starts now. I am in Australia, so start in January/February. So I'm always posting on some 'tween thread, that is never actually the right timeframe. So by the time I'm "planning" my following year, there are no threads on current curriculum as people have only started their school year (in about Oct is when I slowly start figuring out following years plan)

• Like 4

I'm one of the crazy ones who plans the following year this time because it's Tax time & Convention time!

Here is what I've got set in the books to do and I'm super excited about it. I made so many changes last year and previous years that I think I'm on to a path of finally finding what works for us.

DS7 - 2nd Grade

Math: CLE

Bible: CLE

Social Studies: CLE

Reading: CLE

History: SOTW

Writing: WWE

Geography: Daily Geography Practice by Evan Moor

Spelling: AAS

Science: Undecided

Art: HAS

DD11 - 6th Grade

Math: ACE

Bible: Undecided

Reading: CLE

Geography: Daily Geography Practice by Evan Moor

Science: RS4K Physics

Writing: IEW

LA: ACE or CLE (undecided on which)

Art: HAS

DD13 - 8th Grade

Math: ACE or CLE (Still undecided)

Bible: Undecided

Reading: Chapter Books

Geography: Discovering the World of Geography

Science: RS4K Physics

Writing: IEW

LA: ACE or CLE (undecided on which)

Art: Mike's Inspiration Station

We are keeping school simple. It's what works and what actually gets done when we go this approach. I'm ready to reboot and get this show on the road the right way!

My plan actually starts now. I am in Australia, so start in January/February. So I'm always posting on some 'tween thread, that is never actually the right timeframe. So by the time I'm "planning" my following year, there are no threads on current curriculum as people have only started their school year (in about Oct is when I slowly start figuring out following years plan)

We are in Europe, but same here. A neew year - a new program. 

Next September I'll revise everything and create a new program :)

What I find interesting is that DD wants to do Australian history, and the new edition of History for the Australian Curriculum is supposed to be out in June. The old one is pretty much impossible to find. It works for us, since we start our next year in September, but wouldn't that kind of leave Australian schools up in the air between books?

My kids are still adding to the shopping list for this semester :lol:

I still have PVC pipes for his ROV and a chem lab kit to buy for DS10 for this semester.

• Like 1