Menu

Why is Sarah Palin more newsworthy than (knowingly and preventable) poisoned children?

Joanne

This is the most frightening part of the story.

I've seen more about Flint, and it's something that caught my attention quickly because our town recently changed it's water supply. They had to because they couldn't pass water safety tests with the last supply.  But the new water supply has been damaging the town's water pipes.  There have been burst pipes everywhere supposedly because of something in the new water supply.  But they say it's safe.... :huh:

I think Flint is the beginning of a problem.  Many areas have either exhausted their existing supply or their existing supply is too poisoned. And to top it off there is zero money for infrastructure.

It's all depressing.   

• Like 5

CNN has Palin's sweater on their front page, nothing about Flint. I listen to NPR regularly, so I've heard a lot about Flint. 

I am at a loss as to why the problem isn't being addressed more aggressively. The Army Corps of Engineers builds entire cities in relatively short periods of time. They have the knowledge to fix this problem. Bill Gates, Warren Buffett and their friends have the money to fix this problem. They also have the power to negotiate pricing and affect production with suppliers. Is that an out of the box funding solution? Sure - but we need to get out of our boxes because our boxes are hurting people. 

The school system there needs to start applying for grants and asking various universities to conduct studies so that their children can get the services they need. This will be a life long problem for people who have been injured by the contamination. So, short term screening and immediate intervention needs to start happening and a long term plan also needs to be developed. These are separate things, though. There is no need to delay helping children now under the pretense that a long term plan is needed. 

Creating a long term plan to address water needs in our nation is an issue that affects Flint, but it is a separate issue. Helping the people of Flint shouldn't be dependent on figuring out why Flint happened or how to prevent it happening in other places. I am just imagining a bunch a bureaucrats sitting around and talking, talking, talking. I can't even begin to imagine how much time it will take or what it would cost to replace all of the piping and whatever other pieces of the infrastructure are affected, but, in needs to be done. So, get started. Instead, people are just pointing fingers. 

• Like 7

I agree that they should put a different person in charge. That said, DPS has major financial issues... according to the Economist, they get $7450/student, of which $4400 goes to debt payments - half or so to unfunded pension liabilities. And they're losing students very rapidly (wonder why, ahem), so they have fewer and fewer resources to deal with those issues. Not sure why they keep paying their debts though rather than just defaulting on those and doing their job first.

It sounds like it's time for the DPS to declare bankruptcy, or have they done that already? I know the city did. 

• Like 1

I have seen more locally on Palin then Flint but that is because of where I am located. Nobody posted positively about Palin. Everyone is tired of how hypocritical they are and the things they say and that is on both sides of the spectrum politically. I would like to read more on the Flint situation.

Edited by MistyMountain

CNN has Palin's sweater on their front page, nothing about Flint. I listen to NPR regularly, so I've heard a lot about Flint. 

I am at a loss as to why the problem isn't being addressed more aggressively. The Army Corps of Engineers builds entire cities in relatively short periods of time. They have the knowledge to fix this problem. Bill Gates, Warren Buffett and their friends have the money to fix this problem. They also have the power to negotiate pricing and affect production with suppliers. Is that an out of the box funding solution? Sure - but we need to get out of our boxes because our boxes are hurting people. 

The school system there needs to start applying for grants and asking various universities to conduct studies so that their children can get the services they need. This will be a life long problem for people who have been injured by the contamination. So, short term screening and immediate intervention needs to start happening and a long term plan also needs to be developed. These are separate things, though. There is no need to delay helping children now under the pretense that a long term plan is needed. 

Creating a long term plan to address water needs in our nation is an issue that affects Flint, but it is a separate issue. Helping the people of Flint shouldn't be dependent on figuring out why Flint happened or how to prevent it happening in other places. I am just imagining a bunch a bureaucrats sitting around and talking, talking, talking. I can't even begin to imagine how much time it will take or what it would cost to replace all of the piping and whatever other pieces of the infrastructure are affected, but, in needs to be done. So, get started. Instead, people are just pointing fingers. 

Perhaps, the OP should look at other news sources.  I also get the majority of my news from NPR.

http://www.wnem.com/category/305446/flint-water-crisis

This is the timeline from my local news.

Thanks for that.  It took me a bit to figure out how the timeline worked, lol, but once I worked that bit out, there's a lot of information there (for the benefit of other Luddites, you hit the arrow cursors on the right to move along in time, and can click into any of the full articles that were written at the time).

• Like 2

Any good articles about Flint?  I know there water has been bad for a while, but haven't read much about it.  Help me remedy that.

I do not have an article to refer you to, but I have watched extensive coverage of this on FNC.  Originally, it began with a truly horrible decision, made by the City of Flint, or the Flint Water Board, to stop purchasing water from the City of Detroit,  and to begin using water from the Flint River. Flint River water is less expensive.  The problem is that the water in the Flint River is so contaminated that GM or FORD (I forget which) doesn't use Flint River water in their factory, because it removes the paint from their brand new vehicles.   So, it began with a local decision that was horrible.  Then, the State government and the Federal Government didn't seem to take any action that was helpful.  The Governor of MI has apologized, which I suspect is something he didn't need to do, and the woman who was the Regional Director of the E.P.A. has resigned (polite word for her being fired or told to resign or you will be fired).    That people have been drinking and bathing in this contaminated water, for so long is a disgrace. The majority of the blame, IMO, is at the local level. That's where the initial horrible decision to use water from the Flint River and not continue buying water from the City of Detroit was made.  There is enough blame to go around and the State and Federal governments seemed to drop the ball.  It is easy to get into a finger pointing blame game. "It's not my problem, it's his problem and he should fix it".  

ETA: I hope they can improve the water quality for Flint residents quickly, but I suspect that will require major changes to the Infrastructure of the Flint Water Supply and if that is the case, it may take a long time, before high quality water is running in the pipes of Flint homes again. 

Edited by Lanny

Wouldn't this thread, most all of it, fall under politics?  Does that only go one way here or what?  If you are liberal and anti-Fox News, go at it.  Otherwise, you need to shut it?  Just asking because that seems to be the underlying message so often.  

I watched an innocent and positive thread about Pastor Saeed get shut down.  So this one is okay to go on?  

Edited by Texas T
  • Like 5

Wouldn't this thread, most all of it, fall under politics?  Does that only go one way here or what?  If you are liberal and anti-Fox News, go at it.  Otherwise, you need to shut it?  Just asking because that seems to be the underlying message so often.  

I watched an innocent and positive thread about Pastor Saeed get shut down.  So this one is okay to go on?  

Sounds more like a current events discussion.  Interesting you want to shut down a discussion that is mainly about some of our fellow citizens being poisoned.

• Like 6

I have relatives (white ones too) in Flint. 

Er...me, too...I'm worried I shouldn't even post this...I have family that lived near there.  My uncle (one of them) died a couple of years ago from cancer.  *sigh*  Was their water contaminated??  Is more than the water in that area contaminated?  

Good lord, step away from FNC.  Please find a deeper, more intelligently written source. Please find out who made this "local" decision.  Please read about the Governor's initial response.  Please read up on corrosives, as it is clearly not only due to dirty river water.  Try googling Democracynow.org+ Flint,  that should keep you busy. Then come back and tell us why the governor should not have apologized.

I don't even know what FNC is but I agree that this was definitely NOT a local decision and the governor is most certainly one of many people that is to blame.

Flint River water is not contaminated (well, it probably is, but that is not the issue at hand), it is corrosive.  The corrosiveness caused issues at GM, not contaminants.  It stripped the biofilm off of the old lead pipes so that the lead is now leaching into the water.  The switch back to Detroit water will not fix the problem because it will take a long time for the biofilm to build back up.  Meanwhile, the leaching and poisoning continues.  The only fix is to replace the 100+ yo Flint water system in its entirety.  Which of course, Flint cannot afford to do.

Many municipal water systems have lead piping.  It is not dangerous unless they are allowed to corrode.

I would be very curious if anyone can provide a news source that claims this was a local decision and that the state had no hand in the problem.

Edited by skimomma
  • Like 5

Spewing hate filled lies. I am calling out the lies. Yes, I despise them. But I'm done now. Carry on, SKL. I imagine it will get deleted, anyway, lol.

Ah hypocrisy, isn't it fun? This is why I can't stand politics in this country. Everyone loves to point fingers while pretending their chosen side doesn't do the exact same thing.

• Like 3

There is no such link because both has a hand in the decision that started all of this. Quite frankly Michigan has a lot of issues that could be fixed if only there was funding to fix them (there is money available but that's a political thing). Our roads suck, the Flint water system, Detroit's schools and so many other things.

Edited by MomtoCandJ

I don't see this thread as a political thread, but as a thread about the state of our infrastructure and how we deal with poverty. That is something that transcends politics, although *how* to do that can divide along political lines. I also see flaming liberals and conservatives such as myself freely posting here; we all have an interest in solving this problem.

Wouldn't this thread, most all of it, fall under politics? Does that only go one way here or what? If you are liberal and anti-Fox News, go at it. Otherwise, you need to shut it? Just asking because that seems to be the underlying message so often.

I watched an innocent and positive thread about Pastor Saeed get shut down. So this one is okay to go on?

• Like 8

I didn't feel like there was too much coverage of Palin's endorsement. She's a former vp candidate who endorsed the current frontrunner from one major party. Regardless of my feelings, it's newsworthy.

There was a lot of coverage of that in my FB feed, but it was mostly jokes, mostly visual jokes, and things like an entire article about the wacky sweater she wore. On the other hand, my FB feed has had dozens of actual in depth articles about the Flint water crisis. My favorite is the shocking graphic from wapo in this article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/01/15/this-is-how-toxic-flints-water-really-is/

I strongly do feel that race and poverty are tied to the lack of response. Flint is a largely poor minority city. If this had happened in an affluent, mainly white city, I have no doubt it would have been addressed much, much sooner.

• Like 2

I do not have an article to refer you to, but I have watched extensive coverage of this on FNC.  Originally, it began with a truly horrible decision, made by the City of Flint, or the Flint Water Board, to stop purchasing water from the City of Detroit,  and to begin using water from the Flint River.

Here's where your news source commits a faux pas. The state of Michigan (hence, Gov. Snyder) imposed an Emergency Manager on the city of Flint basically disenfranchising local citizens. It was this EM not the elected mayor or city council who decided to switch the water source. That's why Gov. Snyder and the state of Michigan are responsible for the water crisis in Flint. There's also an EM in the Detroit Public Schools (Darnell Earley who is, in fact, the same dude who poisoned Flint, seriously, you couldn't make this stuff up).

• Like 9

I  The problem is that the water in the Flint River is so contaminated that GM or FORD (I forget which) doesn't use Flint River water in their factory, because it removes the paint from their brand new vehicles.   So, it began with a local decision that was horrible.  Then, the State government and the Federal Government didn't seem to take any action that was helpful.  

Actually, the real problem is that they didn't pay to add the anticorrosives into the water, that are needed to keep the pipes from degrading. Now that they have degraded and are leaching lead into the water it doesn't matter that they have switched back to city of Detroit water. It's too late. The lead is still there. 

Then, when people tried to bring this to official attention they were ignored. 

• Like 9

re: why it's not just Flint's problem

Kim, I "liked" your post, but not, certainly, because I like what's happening in your own area.

We have water issues across the nation.  In some areas it's associated with drought, in other areas it's associated with contaminants in the water table, in some areas it's associated with changes in the snowcap that feeds the annual supply.  It warrants both nationwide coordination of water test results/best conservation practices/dissemination of technologies that reduce leakage& waste etc and also a national conversation about the factors that are driving the  problems.

The issues in Flint should be of particular concern to those that live in colder regions where rock salt is used on the roads in the winter. The salinity of the Flint River is significantly higher than that of Lake Huron (Detroit's water source).  There is a salt mine 1,000 feet under the city of Detroit, so regionally, things are pretty salty. The addition of rock salt run off proved to be disastrous for Flint's aging lead pipe infrastructure. I worry we're going to be seeing more and more of it.

Ă¢â‚¬Å“ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s incredible. In many northeastern cities because of road salt use, salt content in rivers has doubled in the last 20 years.Ă¢â‚¬

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jan/18/michigan-flint-river-epa-lead-contamination-mdeq-pollutants-water-safety-health

• Like 6

Dot, thanks for linking these articles. It's just devastating.  There was also a link through these articles calling the California methane leak the biggest environmental disaster since the BP spill. But hey, if it's not in our backyard... :tongue_smilie:

Have you seen the pictures of the Detroit schools? Children do not seem to be high on their priority list.  :sad: Get it together people.  :ack2:  :cursing:

http://usuncut.com/class-war/detroit-teachers-want-you-to-see-these-disturbing-photos/

It's not that easy. The infrastructure in Detroit is on a scale that many of us do not comprehend and white flight means there is little money to fix existing issues and yes, corruption definitely plays a part.

Did I see that the emergency manager that made the Flint water decision is now in charge of Detroit's public schools?

It's not that easy. The infrastructure in Detroit is on a scale that many of us do not comprehend and white flight means there is little money to fix existing issues and yes, corruption definitely plays a part.

Did I see that the emergency manager that made the Flint water decision is now in charge of Detroit's public schools?

Yes, that's correct. Darnell Earley.

• Like 1

Actually, the real problem is that they didn't pay to add the anticorrosives into the water, that are needed to keep the pipes from degrading. Now that they have degraded and are leaching lead into the water it doesn't matter that they have switched back to city of Detroit water. It's too late. The lead is still there. 

Then, when people tried to bring this to official attention they were ignored. 

The chemical treatment was relatively inexpensive, but the costs to replace the infrastructure are staggering.

The articles that Dot linked that discussed what has happened to the health of an actual family and their children is truly heartbreaking. Infrastructure can be repaired; the damage that has been done to real children cannot be.

• Like 9

I turned the TV on about 540 P.M. (E.S.T.) and the discussion on Fox was about Flint. For quite awhile...  There was NOTHING about Palin.  They pointed out that this should not be a Political thing, and that there is plenty of blame on both sides of the aisle. Concentrating on finding a solution should be the priority.   All parties have truly screwed this up and nothing was done, for almost 2 years?  This is truly a horrible thing and it would be nice if those responsible could be charged criminally, but I doubt that can or will happen. As I wrote upthread, I believe it will take a LONG time, for them to be able to resume sending clean Detroit water to Flint homes again.  Also, I am beginning to wonder whether the entire water distribution system in Flint, including the plumbing in peoples homes, will eventually need to be replaced, because of Lead contamination.  This is never going to be a "win win" situation. This is a "lose lose" situation and is catastrophic  for the health of the people who live in Flint.  Hopefully they will find a quicker way to resolve this than I think is possible.  

• Like 7

I've seen tons of Flint coverage. 

I'd be surprised if it hasn't made the digital front page of every major outlet at some point in the last few days, but the nature of the news beast is that headlines change frequently (and this was true back when print was king as well). It will likely bounce back to the front page several more times, when they can write a new headline, but it isn't going to stay on the front page. Almost nothing does. 

Again, that is and was true for print as well, although one was at least more likely to page through and read more of a print newspaper if it was sitting there. 

At this moment, there's at least one Flint-related story on the digital front page of CNN, Fox, HuffPo, NPR, and NYT. They are mostly 'below the scroll' but they are there. 

Below the scroll means front page, but you have to scroll down to see it. The print term is below the fold, or on the bottom half of the folded newspaper (so you do not see it when a newspaper is stacked in normal fashion). 

• Like 2

It has been out there for a while if you read a variety of news sources. I posted about it in December expecting a lot of interest here at least...but my neutral article got 1 post and a few views. Even back then there were a lot of politicized articles about it, but the blame game has gotten crazier, and people only seem to read about it or care about it when they can blame the other side, sadly, and then complain about how politicized everything is.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/580659-lead-in-flint-michigan-water/?hl=%2Bflint+%2Bwater&do=findComment&comment=6742505

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 3

It has been out there for a while if you read a variety of news sources. I posted about it in December expecting a lot of interest here at least...but my neutral article got 1 post and a few views. Even back then there were a lot of politicized articles about it, but the blame game has gotten crazier, and people only seem to read about it or care about it when they can blame the other side, sadly, and then complain about how politicized everything is.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/580659-lead-in-flint-michigan-water/?hl=%2Bflint+%2Bwater&do=findComment&comment=6742505

I believe the FOX program I was watching (approx. 540 P.M. yesterday) said they have known about this issue since April 2014?  If I have the date correct, we are approaching 2 years.  This isn't like the water shortage in CA, which is apparently the result of terrible decisions the state of CA made in the 70's, this is where a horrible mistake is devastating the health and safety of thousands of people. And when others (State and Federal) found out about it, they did little or nothing to try to mitigate the situation.      I wonder if Flint will eventually be like the Love Canal area in New York State and be vacated. 

• Like 4

Yeah, same. But I filter my news intake to be pretty serious issues oriented and don't do TV news at all. Radio and selected print/online publications are the way to go if you want to avoid the crazy.

Yes, this.

TV news is, I think, just impossible.  It's always going to be influenced by what makes the best pictures (and this is also true of what many publications choose to put in their headlines.)  So - Trump and Palin - simple and crazy picture.  Contaminated water - well, sewer pipes or sick kids may not get clicks or stop people from changing the channel.

And tv news segments, or short articles, simply don't have the scope to deal with anything complex.  Show a picture of the town, show a picture of the water, get a clip from a resident, one from an expert, and one from an official.  Quick sum up, and that is it.  There is no room for real analysis, and there is so little that what you get is what the reporter things you should know.

And to do real journalism on something like Flint will take time, and therefore money.  To do a story on an announcement by a political figure takes almost no money, and no time.

• Like 4

I couldn't stop thinking about this. How are the people of Flint that get sick going to get treatment? Where is the money going to come from when it's a bankrupt state? How are they ever going to get any kind of settlement?

Unfortunately, there is no treatment.  The real question is will they get services for life because that is what will be needed.  And there is no real way to know who will be affected and how/how much, sometimes until years later.  I cannot imagine the panic I would be feeling if I lived there.  Actually, I can.  Dd was misdiagnosed with severe lead poisoning when she was 2yo.  For about 12 hours, we believed our dd has been poisoned and we were grappling with the potential implications.  We live in a very old house and all of the local housing stock has lead paint (although in our case it is covered up and not flaking), so the diagnosis seemed reasonable.  It turned out to be a mistake and all is well, but the terror and helplessness we felt was awful.  What I cannot imagine is being in that situation AND being powerless to move and having to rely on the very government officials that caused the problem and LIED ABOUT IT to fix it.  In our case, had the diagnosis been correct we had the resources to move and access the very best services possible.  We have family that would have offered financial help and we have the know-how to advocate for ourselves and child.  Many people in Flint do not have any of those things.  They are barely surviving.

Also unfortunately, I will be shocked if more municipal systems aren't found to have this problem now that it is making the news.  Lead piping and soder is prevalent in many (probably most) water systems, which of course is not an issue in itself.  But I would wager that there are other cities that are not properly treating their water and the leaching is occurring elsewhere as well.  I hope I am wrong.  I believe someone above already posted this link but I would encourage concerned people to read the link below.  It is NOT from a news source but from a university in the Flint area.

https://www.kettering.edu/sites/default/files/resource-file-download/KetteringUniversityWaterUpdateParentsandAlumni.pdf

I have been doing some digging and interestingly, not all houses are at risk.  The lead lines are found primarily in the feed lines into individual houses so one house can have lead in the water while the house next door does not, or at least at much lower levels.  So, I also suspect we are going to find that the number of people affected is not as high as we are fearing.

Edited by skimomma
  • Like 3

Not only have they hurt a lot of people but they have destroyed any sort of property value anyone had or will ever have. Would you buy a house there, ever?? I know this is easy to say but I think I'd declare bankruptcy and leave the area. What a nightmare!

Not only have they hurt a lot of people but they have destroyed any sort of property value anyone had or will ever have. Would you buy a house there, ever?? I know this is easy to say but I think I'd declare bankruptcy and leave the area. What a nightmare!

The problem is probably many of those affected cannot afford to declare bankruptcy and then move.

• Like 2

Yes, I had my kids tested for lead because of some odd things when they were tots.  (They were born in a developing country, so I didn't know whether they were at risk.)  At the time I read that there are treatments for lead poisoning.  I am sure they are very expensive to provide for a whole population.  :(  And yes, the damage is permanent to a degree, but interventions can still make a big difference.

And I agree with the posts saying that the U.S. is fast approaching a broad infrastructure crisis.

And for me, one of the ridiculous things about this is that spending money on infrastructure supports exactly the kind of middle class jobs we so desperately need right now. Our state has recovered quite well from the recession, but almost all of the job growth has been in high paying and low paying jobs.

Edited by Frances
  • Like 12

I couldn't stop thinking about this. How are the people of Flint that get sick going to get treatment? Where is the money going to come from when it's a bankrupt state? How are they ever going to get any kind of settlement?

Oh there will be a settlement I am sure. It will take years but it will happen. Unfortunately no money and no services will compensate people for the irreversible impact. I have no doubt Flint will join Detroit on the list of bankrupt cities and that the state of Michigan is going to strained to the breaking point financially. And it's not like they are flush with cash right now either.

I physically shudder when I think of all those babies fed powdered formula made with that water.

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 2