Menu

MUS upper level math....question

We used MUS all the way from the beginning to the fractions books...where they kids really were confused by their explanations.  we went to Rod and Staff and finished up elementary math in those books.

I am looking at the Algebra 1 book....and the sample they gave on their website was very confusing to me.  It seems to me they go WAY out of their way to try and explain every little thing, that you lose the process.  

So I am wondering if there is anybody here who has used MUS Algebra who could set me straight on that....especially for someone who hasn't used MUS for a while.  

I am also looking at their geometry...the sample there looked a lot more straight forward.  Please tell me I am right.  I like the idea of DVD's, full solutions in the TE and the way MUS works as a mastery program....so I hope I am right with that.  

But my daughter is using Algebra: A Fresh Approach and is hanging in there...but not thriving.  I don't know if switching her to this program with DVD's now is a smart move...but I don't want her to be lost because she barely made it through Algebra 1. 

thank for your help.

Math U See focuses on teaching to understanding.  So, no, they do not just teach the process and move on.  They want the student to understand WHY the process works and the reasoning behind it. I'm sure some students find this to be "too much" but it provided many "Oh! Now I understand!" moments for DH and I (with 3 university degrees in technical fields between us).

If you are going to be hopping between MUS and other programs, geometry would be the one least tied in with the sequence (easier to use geometry in a different program than jumping between programs for algebra, for example).

Oldest is finishing up algebra 1 in Chalkdust and I own the equivalent of Algebra 2 in that series as well. I own Holt Geometry.

Because kid2 has learning disabilities, I went ahead and purchased algebra 2 and geometry in MUS to compare that the books I mention above.

The Geometry is pretty straightforward. I cannot imagine a more simply designed program. Most of the program will be a review for Oldest who went through Singapore math. It will be perfect for my kid2. Algebra 2---I like the layout and the problem sets. They are on the easier side but adequate for non-math majors. I am not sure of what to make on the instruction. It seems more straightforward than algebra 1---but I haven't watched enough of the videos to offer a good opinion.

My son is using their geometry. It is very straightforward. I can't say it is a strong program, though. I selected it because I knew it was fairly basic and that it was not time-consuming. I wouldn't have selected it for a student who is thinking about a STEM career. All the proofs are extremely simple and they are fill in the blank.

We just started homeschooling (again) this semester with my freshman son. We are using MUS Geometry and are liking it. Since he had a semester of geometry in the fall at school, we are doing 2 lessons a week to get through the whole book this semester. It's been a good review so far. We love the dvd component since I cannot teach it! He also is not going into a STEM field, though I don't know enough about MUS or any other math curriculum to speak to what is a good program for STEM kids.

Not what you are asking, but some extra information - I don't think MUS is a strong program. After finishing Algebra 1 (with a different book), my son looked at MUS Algebra 2 and he could ALREADY do all of it. MUS might have decent explanations (I don't know), but it does not take any of the math to a deeper level that students looking at STEM careers ought to be challenged with. Yes, there are kids that do MUS and go on to higher level math, but there is an obvious difference in how they approach more challenging problems.

We really didn't like MUS Algebra. I loved the elementary series, but thought Algebra was poorly presented, confusing and too easy - all at the same time! 

I did love their Geometry. My kids are not STEM kids and just needed a solid ACT prep Geometry. It does very little with proofs, but does a clear and easy to understand run through all the Geometry concepts covered on standardized tests. It was the only high school product I liked from MUS although I bought both Algebras and Precalc (which is really just a simple trig course). 

• Like 1