Menu

Hearing footsteps at night

PrairieSong

I had a friend in highschool who discovered a homeless man living in their attached garage, which they actually used. Apparently, he snuck in when they were already in the house and the garage door was going down. He would come into the house, because they didnt lock the door leading to the garage, late at night when everyone was sleeping to get food. They had 5 people living at the house so everyone just assumed it was someone else getting a late night snack. He lived in the garage for about a month before she discovered his nest in a corner of the garage hidden by their junk. They estimate he was there for a month because of when the first person in the house noticed specific foods had been eaten in the middle of the night.

• Like 3

I had a friend in highschool who discovered a homeless man living in their attached garage, which they actually used. Apparently, he snuck in when they were already in the house and the garage door was going down. He would come into the house, because they didnt lock the door leading to the garage, late at night when everyone was sleeping to get food. They had 5 people living at the house so everyone just assumed it was someone else getting a late night snack. He lived in the garage for about a month before she discovered his nest in a corner of the garage hidden by their junk. They estimate he was there for a month because of when the first person in the house noticed specific foods had been eaten in the middle of the night.

Note to self: never let the pace of life get so frenzied that I fail to notice a grown man nesting in my garage.

That is very troubling.

• Like 42

One time I lived in a home where we heard scratching under the bathtub (calm down, this isn't really a creepy story). Turned out possums were under the house right there.

This house does not have a slab foundation, either. So we've heard animals under the house before. Are you on a slab?

No, we have a main level (ground floor) and a basement. That is really funny about the possums.

And I want to hide under my covers just as much from rats, possums and feral cats as potential spooks and specters.

And homeless men in my garage .... although I have random cadets in my (finished) basement sometimes. They're kind of like really polite homeless men.

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 4

At certain times of year, our office sounds like it has a ghost walking around. I typically go in on weekends when the office is empty and the desk I use has me sitting with my back to the staircase. If the weather is just right, it sounds like someone is walking up and down the stairs. Last winter, there were many times I jumped up and walked back to the stairs to see who was there. Each time, the building was empty. Super creepy though!

At certain times of year, our office sounds like it has a ghost walking around. I typically go in on weekends when the office is empty and the desk I use has me sitting with my back to the staircase. If the weather is just right, it sounds like someone is walking up and down the stairs. Last winter, there were many times I jumped up and walked back to the stairs to see who was there. Each time, the building was empty. Super creepy though!

I've only worked at our office on the weekend a couple of times, and it creeped me out. It didn't help that there's a ghost story about someone who died in the building decades ago. I don't believe there's really a ghost, but when you're all alone in a huge building that's making weird noises you don't hear or notice during the week and it sounds like someone else is lurking about, you can imagine all kinds of things.

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 2

:) We are in a rental now and I've never heard footsteps but I've heard whispering several times since I've been here. It is like a kids voice saying "mom". I've always thought it was my kids and gotten up and looked around...nothing. It doesn't help that the first few weeks we were here my 6 yr old would wake up screaming at night. One night I went in there and she started pointing behind me and freaking me out and I was yelling what? What? She goes

"It's a boy." Ahhh!

I guess I won't be sleeping tonight.

One night a few weeks ago, I was falling asleep and heard a loud banging sound like someone banging into a door trying to get in. I was immediately wide awake and listening for any other sound and my little dog sleeping next to me was standing up on high alert. Dh was asleep next to me. I got up and checked on the kids upstairs. Ds woke up when I opened his door because I kinda banged it when I opened it. I asked him if he had heard a noise and he said he was asleep and didn't but he did get up and check downstairs and outside with me. All the doors were locked and none of the motion detector lights were on outside. 

It took me awhile to stop my racing heart. I would have thought the sound was part of a dream except my dog would not have heard a sound in my dreams? Weird.

We need Albeto to come to this thread. Albeto! Come here! Dispell all the paranormal talk with your rational knowledge!

Please? Now I'm freakin scared to death!

• Like 11

Does anyone remember that post about someone waking up to something that sounded like people in the room?  I think it was the poster's sister, and she ended up somehow recording what was going on and it turned out that a man and a woman (I think) were coming into her apartment every night.  Or something like that.

ETA:  Ok, found it, or a reference to it anyway.  It was a little different that I remembered and really has nothing to do with the OP, but here it is... http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/224149-remember-post-about-a-tape-recorder-picking-up-strange-voices-in-night/

Edited by EKS
  • Like 2

Does anyone remember that post about someone waking up to something that sounded like people in the room?  I think it was the poster's sister, and she ended up somehow recording what was going on and it turned out that a man and a woman (I think) were coming into her apartment every night.  Or something like that.

Y'know, I can't remember if we ever got a clear answer on that - was it really people coming into her room? We need a link to that thread, but I don't remember the OP's name.

Does anyone remember that post about someone waking up to something that sounded like people in the room? I think it was the poster's sister, and she ended up somehow recording what was going on and it turned out that a man and a woman (I think) were coming into her apartment every night. Or something like that.

ETA: Ok, found it, or a reference to it anyway. It was a little different that I remembered and really has nothing to do with the OP, but here it is... http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/224149-remember-post-about-a-tape-recorder-picking-up-strange-voices-in-night/

For some reason I can't open up the original thread that is linked in that thread. I'm curious now...

Y'know, I can't remember if we ever got a clear answer on that - was it really people coming into her room? We need a link to that thread, but I don't remember the OP's name.

IIRC, something was really going on, because I think the update was that her sister had involved the authorities and the OP couldn't post about it any further. 

And threads like this are why I still set our alarm every night before going to bed!

• Like 1

Note to self: never let the pace of life get so frenzied that I fail to notice a grown man nesting in my garage.

That is very troubling.

When my children were younger, I would go into office during evening around 7 p.m. to perform my part-time work.  One Friday night about 11 p.m. from my office tucked in a far back corner, I heard two distinct male voices open back door and enter office.  I assumed the guys were part of the cleaning crew.  

I never saw them, and I left for home shortly before midnight through the front entrance of building.

Office manager called Monday morning to ask if I heard or saw anything Friday night.  I stated that I heard the cleaning people arrive around 11pm but did not see them or chat with them.  She responded that the cleaning people were there Sunday night that particular weekend, not Friday.

All the petty cash had been stolen along with several computers and miscellaneous items.

• Like 1

For some reason I can't open up the original thread that is linked in that thread. I'm curious now...

Here it is. That was a creepy story and no, we never found out the ending.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/209350-someone-please-toss-me-a-virtual-brown-bag-im-hyperventilating/

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Today our handyman came over to discuss some business with me, and I told him about the footsteps. He said, well, if you want me to tell you it was the house settling so you'll feel better, I will. Then he proceeded to tell me that when he was married to his first wife, they lived in an old house. They got divorced and he started dating another woman (his current wife). She was helping him clean out the old house and her parents were nearby. She told them to stop by and see the beautiful older house. Her mother took one step inside the door, stopped, and backed out of the house, saying, "I am NOT going inside. There are bad spirits in there. Someone was murdered there." My handyman friend was freaked out. Someone had been murdered there in the late 50's, long before he'd moved in, but he hadn't told his girlfriend or her family. He said this is not an uncommon thing for his now mother-in-law...to just "know" things like that.

• Like 2

Living in south Florida, unaccounted for footsteps at night means it is time to call the rat exterminator.

This is prob. what happened with DH's grandmother who lived in Miami.  She swore the neighbor boys were living in her attic and called the police twice to report them.  She was already in her 90s and losing it a bit.

There is no way someone would "live" in that attic.  It was 200 degrees up there and only about 3' of clearance and the only entrance was outside, up a ladder and into a small hole.  (well, I think there was a pull down inside the house, but other than that, only outside)

So last night DH and I went to bed around 10pm.  I was SO tired.  I haven't been sleeping well and I have been so busy, i haven't been able to nap.  

He got into bed and wanted to start talking.  I told him I just couldn't and he replied, "Ok, well, I am going to go watch TV in the basement and let you sleep."  

Because of this thread I was freaked out!  

Thanks guys.

PS:  If any of you were on the old SL forums, do you remember a woman who said she talked and saw spirits all the time?  I think they were military and she said the dead soldiers walking around Pearl Harbor was a huge number.  And she read to a little girl (dead) in her house.   I cant' ever get that story out of my head.

I don't know if you are religious, but this sort of thing would cause me to have my house blessed by my priest. My friend had this happen all the time at her house. I even witnessed crazy things happen with lights coming on and garbage cans spontaneously spilling over. They got the house blessed and it stopped.

I, too, have witnessed some strange things. OP, I hope your floorboards are just popping. If you find you have reason to believe otherwise, and if you're interested, here's some relevant Scripture: Luke 10:17-20, 1 John 4:4, Acts 19:11-17.

• Like 3

I used to work in an old printshop that used to be an old railway storage facility. It had burned down from a 2 story structure, to a 1 story structure and eventually became a print shop. It was partially built into the raised tracks area so there was no windows on one side. The floors had been worn down so far that you could see the rail tracks still in the building. Well one day I was working there (during the day) and I was alone in a back room mocking up something. I heard someone walk behind me and it took me a second to realize that I was alone. I ran out the front of the store and I never worked in the mock up room again by myself. There had been times where children would get on the roof of the structure (it was level with the tracks) but this wasn't one of those times, the footsteps were clearly on the cement and not on the roof. I found out later that other print shop employees had reported seeing someone in yellow in the building that they couldn't explain. 

Separate story. My mom and I were both afraid of the same house and didn't know that the other felt that way till years later. I don't remember my mother's experiences, but I was 7 when we moved there and shortly there after, at night, I saw something that looked like someone holding a rifle like gun pointed in our window. I hated to go by those windows at night after that. And to this day I close all curtains if I am alone (or alone with children) in my house. Glad that house is out of the family now. This house was in a suburban location with houses all around. No one would be there with a rifle like that accidentally. 

My MIL says she has to go into a house and feel it before she even thinks about purchasing a house. She said that one time she went into a basement of a house that she was looking to purchase and felt very strange. She later found out someone had died in a hot tub in the basement of that house. 

• Like 1

I used to work in an old printshop that used to be an old railway storage facility. It had burned down from a 2 story structure, to a 1 story structure and eventually became a print shop. It was partially built into the raised tracks area so there was no windows on one side. The floors had been worn down so far that you could see the rail tracks still in the building. Well one day I was working there (during the day) and I was alone in a back room mocking up something. I heard someone walk behind me and it took me a second to realize that I was alone. I ran out the front of the store and I never worked in the mock up room again by myself. There had been times where children would get on the roof of the structure (it was level with the tracks) but this wasn't one of those times, the footsteps were clearly on the cement and not on the roof. I found out later that other print shop employees had reported seeing someone in yellow in the building that they couldn't explain. 

Separate story. My mom and I were both afraid of the same house and didn't know that the other felt that way till years later. I don't remember my mother's experiences, but I was 7 when we moved there and shortly there after, at night, I saw something that looked like someone holding a rifle like gun pointed in our window. I hated to go by those windows at night after that. And to this day I close all curtains if I am alone (or alone with children) in my house. Glad that house is out of the family now. This house was in a suburban location with houses all around. No one would be there with a rifle like that accidentally. 

My MIL says she has to go into a house and feel it before she even thinks about purchasing a house. She said that one time she went into a basement of a house that she was looking to purchase and felt very strange. She later found out someone had died in a hot tub in the basement of that house. 

We were looking at a house once. It was a bit out of the city in what used to be corn fields, but had houses built on 3-4 acres each.  The house had the strangest basement.  7' ceilings, very low, and just cement floors and concrete block walls.  There was a laundry room down there and a storage room with an old creaky door.  It felt very eerie down there.

Then the house had 2 stories and a huge walk up attic.  While I was touring the 2nd floor room that had the door to the attic, I felt something very strange and creepy.  I opened the door to the attic and started walking up there but it felt so creepy I waited for the realtor and DH to get there to go with me.  

I didn't SEE anything but I felt it.  

Dh liked the house but I told him no way!  

We found out from our realtor later that the people who bought the house said they were "into" ghosts and felt there were ghosts in the house and wanted the house with ghosts.  HOLY COW!  So maybe I am not crazy.

Meanwhile the previous owners swore they never heard, felt, or saw anything like a ghost/spirit presence.

For those who are spooked by these stories and need a dose of reality:

There are no ghosts, or spirits.  Every sound has a logical explanation.  Even when I was little, I would listen to sounds in bed at night, or in the morning when I woke up, and would eventually be able to identify them.  Some houses have a LOT of settling noises that don't necessarily sound like settling noises, others not as much.

There are a lot of other strange noises.  For example, in my current house I have a huge wall that creaks whenever the heat is on; the refrigerator has been know to make some really odd sounds that don't sound like a refrigerator, and the TV setup on the first floor occasionally makes these weird vibrating/whirring noises.  The first time I heard ice/snow slide down the roof of this house, it sounded like a noise that was *in the room* but it wasn't.

At night when it's quiet, it's a lot easier to hear things that you wouldn't normally hear, and from farther away than you might think.  I've been in bed and heard the people talking before...it's the neighbors, but not the next door neighbors, but ones behind us and sometimes even a couple houses down.  I do get up and check it out, looking out the window and using my ears to figure out which direction it is coming from.  Sometimes people run some sort of machinery at really odd times of the night too.  I've heard doors slam and garage doors open that are not ours, but at first sounds like it could be downstairs.

We once lived in an apartment where not only could I hear the people above us having a fun time in bed, but then later I heard when mice started scurrying in the ceiling.  That was strange at first.  I was glad when we moved.

Hearing noises that wake you up can be a sign of anxiety.  I've heard these noises, and I always go investigate:  I check the front door, sometimes I go downstairs to the basement, but if everything checks out and I don't hear it again. then I know it was just in my head.  There is even something called Exploding Head Syndrome, that an estimated 20% of people have, who hear loud noises that aren't real that wake them up.

As far as the OP, I don't know why you heard footsteps, but if I was there I could probably figure it out.  People are always asking me what sounds are, I guess because I'm good at identifying them.

Also, the stories of people living in garages or basements, or the story where someone came to steal from the office, I find those fascinating, but again, completely logical explanations.  I think the takeaway from that should be to always investigate sounds that you can't immediately place, and look perhaps where you might not think to look.  That's what I do.  I've been known to walk around the house, even during the daytime, listening for a sound, first trying to place whether it's an inside or outside sound, but once I've placed it, I can be confident what it is.

Oh, and I have this one piece of tape in my bedroom that gets blown around whenever the heater turns on that freaked me out the first time I heard it, because it can sound like whispering or someone shifting something around, but I would have to move a whole bunch of heavy stuff to get at it to remove it, because it's under heavy furniture, and I'm just not that motivated.

EDITED to add:  And sometimes, if it sounds like a duck, then it's actually a duck.  On the roof.  In the morning, quacking for 15 minutes and waking me up.  The duck on the roof returned 2-3 more times within a period of a week or two, never more than two houses away from where it originally showed up.

Edited by Ellyndria
  • Like 7

I don't know if you are religious, but this sort of thing would cause me to have my house blessed by my priest. My friend had this happen all the time at her house. I even witnessed crazy things happen with lights coming on and garbage cans spontaneously spilling over. They got the house blessed and it stopped.

We are Catholic. The house has been blessed but it was years ago. We might have it done again. I've never witnessed anything like you describe.

• Like 1

Do you have close neighbors? I can hear my neighbors on their stairs and it sounds like someone walking in my house if conditions are right. The dh leaves for work about 4 am so I am sometimes woke up to that sound.

We have neighbors all around but the houses aren't super close. I have never heard anything that was going on inside a neighbor's house. I only hear them if they are outside. I hear their dogs bark if they are out in their yard.

There are no ghosts, or spirits. Every sound has a logical explanation. Even when I was little, I would listen to sounds in bed at night, or in the morning when I woke up, and would eventually be able to identify them. Some houses have a LOT of settling noises that don't necessarily sound like settling noises, others not as much.

Are you subbing in for Albeto? :D

• Like 3

It's amazing what building materials can do.

My house is less than 25 years old, and on extremely cold nights (usually below 10*, though sometimes higher if it's a quick plunge) our decks pop as loud as shotguns.  Living in a hunting area, I don't like hearing "shotguns" quite this close!

• Like 1

Hey, it seemed like it was needed. :)  And I do feel that every sound has a logical explanation. :)

I agree 100%, which is why I liked your post. :D

Even when I thought I heard whispers in my hallway, I knew they weren't actually ghosts. 

Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 2

Google is my friend. I learned something new today. Or possibly re-learned it. I think I heard about this before, but maybe didn't realize it had an official, though not quite original name.

I think I first heard about it on Mental Floss in a YouTube round-up of mysterious--and in some cases still unexplained--noises. But I vaguely recall it coming up in a previous thread here, too. Interesting stuff. (BTW, on a related note, The Message podcast/radio theater performance is fun.)

• Like 1

They should put you to work on The Hum.

You know, I was on vacation last year, staying in a hotel, which has all sorts of different noises, and it sounded like there was a truck outside.  I eventually got up and looked...no truck.  Then I thought maybe I was hearing someone else's A/C running.  But I stayed up looking at information and that was the first time I had heard of The Hum.  And I thought, huh, that's weird.  I wondered if I was hearing it, but I thought probably not.  And I was wondering if I had heard it before, because silence can be pretty loud and almost hum-like at times.  I feel like I have pretty sensitive hearing, but I have no idea if I can hear what people call The Hum or not.  It would be interesting to go to a place that has frequent reports of it and find out.

I think I first heard about it on Mental Floss in a YouTube round-up of mysterious--and in some cases still unexplained--noises. But I vaguely recall it coming up in a previous thread here, too. Interesting stuff. (BTW, on a related note, The Message podcast/radio theater performance is fun.)

Yes! Someone here did post about that! I remember replying to the thread, and there was a long discussion of the possible causes, but none of them fit the sound. Now I need to go find that to see if it was ever identified. 

Gee thanks. That makes me feel a lot better. ;-) Seriously, I am not scared and did not jump to the conclusion that the footstep sound was a ghost or spirit, but it WAS weird and still mystifies me.

Ha! 

I'm not even kidding.  But then I'm the one who had paranormal investigators come to my house, so that's a super logical conclusion for me.  :-)

• Like 3

The ghost is a.....wait for it...

a Christian.

Albeto will be here in 5...4...3...2...1... ;)

(Hopefully, that will be taken in the humor in which it was intended.)

You rang?

Today our handyman came over to discuss some business with me, and I told him about the footsteps. He said, well, if you want me to tell you it was the house settling so you'll feel better, I will. Then he proceeded to tell me that when he was married to his first wife, they lived in an old house. They got divorced and he started dating another woman (his current wife). She was helping him clean out the old house and her parents were nearby. She told them to stop by and see the beautiful older house. Her mother took one step inside the door, stopped, and backed out of the house, saying, "I am NOT going inside. There are bad spirits in there. Someone was murdered there." My handyman friend was freaked out. Someone had been murdered there in the late 50's, long before he'd moved in, but he hadn't told his girlfriend or her family. He said this is not an uncommon thing for his now mother-in-law...to just "know" things like that.

These stories always remind me of the "Dork Sided" lady who was sure there were dark spirits fighting invisible battles around her and she is a personal warrior for the almighty. We laugh at her because she's ridiculous, but if she were calmer, more articulate, less emotional, her claim would be no more credible. 

Shhhh. No one listen to this poster. The ghosts are real. They've been talking to me, too. They want you to send money to me and they'll go away. They promise. But only if you send money first. Otherwise, they'll keep teasing you, and do little mysterious things like take a sock out of the dryer before you can pair it with its mate, move your glasses to the other table where you won't think to look first, make the toilet run in the bathroom farthest away from you, and fill your mailbox with extra flyers and useless coupons for 5 piece furniture at AMAZING PRICES!

EDITED to add:  And sometimes, if it sounds like a duck, then it's actually a duck.  On the roof.  In the morning, quacking for 15 minutes and waking me up.  The duck on the roof returned 2-3 more times within a period of a week or two, never more than two houses away from where it originally showed up.

:laugh:

We are Catholic. The house has been blessed but it was years ago. We might have it done again. I've never witnessed anything like you describe.

Case in point, with regard to the details of the claim. How do blessings work? Exactly? What elements make them work, and what variables thwart those workings? Can you identify them? Can you isolate them? Can you repeat the procedure with predictable results? In what way can the mechanics of a blessing be understood and manipulated? If you (or your priest or bishop) can answer these questions (they can't), then you'll have the answer to why your previous blessing didn't take. 

But if you think about it in broader terms, think about all the mysteries in life that people have experienced that have been answered. We understand now why the sun is sometimes blocked by the moon. We understand why the stars move about the ways in which they do. We understand why some years there's more rain and some years there's less. We understand how conception works, and how to prevent infection when pulling a tooth, or how to address it in those uncommon times infection arises. We understand how to prevent polio, how to harness the energy from nuclear fission (we're working on harnessing energy from nuclear fusion, how cool is that?). The thing is, with every mystery we've ever solved (why do babies have their daddy's smile and their mommy's eyes, why is there so much snow this year, what happened to that missing jet over Malaysia?), the answer has never been supernatural. Ever. What are the chances that all the discoveries made thus far, all the interesting mysteries unlocked, all the answers that have been found and point to natural means, ghosts clomping around in a person's house is the one exception to everything we know?

• Like 11

For one moment of seriousness, thought I should mention in case no one else did, that sometimes, apparently, or at least so I have been told, a too high carbon monoxide level --can play with neurochemistry and make people think there are presences. 

Expanding and contracting floorboards, raccoon, are probably more likely, but this would be more serious.

• Like 2