Menu

Snowtorious B.I.G. Whining justified!

KungFuPanda

I saw flakes. I plan to complain until spring thaw. I know the Mid-Atlantic has been darn lucky so far, but it seems our luck is about to run out. Judging fron FB rumblings, the DC beltway is not pretty right now. I can't tell if they already got dusted or if it's just a particularly bad traffic night for no good reason. Ugh.

Whine whine whine

Eta: Traffic woes make sense now. When I sat down in this chair to peruse the boards, it hadn't really started. I just walked by a window and everything is white. THAT escalated quickly. I hope co-op isn't cancelled tomorrow :-(

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 3

I'd be happy to take some off your hands.  I'd like a good sock-in snow storm . . .  (we had one in 2008/2009.  we had TWO feet of snow at our house.  not much for some, but for us it was unheard of.  and we've lived here for 30 years.  we had two more big storms that winter, though not as much snow.)

I live inside the DC beltway.  We got one inch of snow and the entire world has come to an end.  

I am so hoping for two feet of snow this weekend. 

That's DC for you.  One inch and the cogs grind to a halt.  :D

I usually hope for snow and would be totally stoked for 2 feet, but with two sick kids and DH out of town, I really don't want snowmagedon.  It's all about the timing, here.

• Like 2

We are in the Philly suburbs.  I am whining.  I don't mind being "stuck" at home.  We are pretty well stocked with food and important snow things like hot cocoa.  I think we are out of chips and dip makings, though.  Better check.  But we are in pretty good shape to enjoy the time (unless the power goes out for several hours and our devices die). 

But... on Saturday my daughter is scheduled to work. She works only .5 miles away, so she walks it.  But when she has to be there before sunrise, I walk her because... it looks and feels like the middle of the night, so it's creepy.  On super cold mornings I drive her.   So I'll be whining on Saturday morning. Her boss already informed her that it takes a Very Bad Storm to make them close.  

Either way, it'll be bad for me.  I don't like driving in snow at all. 

I've been in denial all day, but I had this sense of urgency to get my snow shopping done. I haven't been paying close attention, but thought it was supposed to start Friday night. To avoid the serious crowds, I went ahead and did my shopping around 6:30 p.m. tonight. I might have seen one stray flake, but I didn't feel threatened by it.

So, I return from the store, unload groceries, clean the kitchen, then goof off online for an hour. (This was when I started this topic.) I finally got up and there's an inch out there! I never asked for this!

• Like 1

I will build snowmen, go sledding on Capitol Hill, throw snowballs, make snow angels, and drink hot chocolate for all of you snow haters out there while you stay warm and dry inside. I am so excited!  I have to make the most of this because I haven't seen snow in a few years and I'll be in Saudi Arabia for the next few.  I was worried that we wouldn't get any decent snow, but I'm hopeful. :)

• Like 9

I live inside the DC beltway. We got one inch of snow and the entire world has come to an end.

I was wondering how DC could have enough for accidents when we had nothing just a few miles north. It turns out it just snuck up on me while I wasn't looking :-/ I wonder if they'll start shutting down things for tomorrow or wait til morning?

• Like 1

I will build snowmen, go sledding on Capitol Hill, throw snowballs, make snow angels, and drink hot chocolate for all of you snow haters out there while you stay warm and dry inside. I am so excited!  I have to make the most of this because I haven't seen snow in a few years and I'll be in Saudi Arabia for the next few.  I was worried that we wouldn't get any decent snow, but I'm hopeful. :)

For you, I hope it dumps a ton of snow on DC!  

We are just south of DC, and we'll send all of our snow your way this time.  See, it's a sacrifice, for you.  :D     We love snow, just not this time.  

• Like 1

I am ready.

Everyone has a pint of Talenti gelato. I made chili today. Will make meatballs tomorrow. Chocolate chip waffles on Saturday.

All this food will distract me from the fact that my neighbor with the snow blower is away and the kids and I will have to shovel. A lot.

• Like 2

I am ready.

Everyone has a pint of Talenti gelato. I made chili today. Will make meatballs tomorrow. Chocolate chip waffles on Saturday.

All this food will distract me from the fact that my neighbor with the snow blower is away and the kids and I will have to shovel. A lot.

Hire someone?  

I'm only half kidding.  One kid here with bronchitis, one with pneumonia, and I've got whatever nasty bug they've had, too - doc put me on asthma meds.  I'm adding cash to pay for snow removal to the storm prep list.  Thinking we're not going to get much shoveling done...

I haven't been grocery shopping since Xmas, and tomorrow is the first day that I am able to go. We are slow or out of everything, so I need to do a big stock up, including toilet paper. I hope the stores aren't out of what I need when I finally get a chance to go tomorrow. I am sending dh to Wegman's after work tomorrow. He's not happy about going because he thinks he will have to park a mile away.

• Like 1

It took dh over an hour to get home from work, normally a 10-15 minute drive. He said roads were not that bad, people were just panicky. We're inside the VA Beltway. 

I'm looking forward to this weekend. Mostly just to everything being canceled and having some lovely days at home. We went to the library today so we're ready. :) 

• Like 3

The traffic will be crazy over the next 2 days for sure!  I'm happy that our school has called a 2 hour delay for tomorrow morning...were just south of DC.

Dh has a 1 1/2 hour commute on a good day --can't wait to see what the next two days bring...not!  :rolleyes:   

I am, however, very excited to play with my grand-baby in the snow this weekend.  :wub:

• Like 1

I think the roads were extra-slippery because they didn't pre-treat--apparently it makes a difference.

I am looking forward to the Big Snow! Unfortunately, my parents, who stop here every year to celebrate my birthday on their way to Florida (where they stay for a couple of months, coming from NHamp) are leaving ahead of the storm, so I won't get to really celebrate with them. But--better safe!

• Like 2

I feel like I should be worried and prepping, but can't find anything to actually do. We always have enough food for a week or so, so that isn't a problem. Plenty of water stored in our chest freezer. I'm mostly worried if the heat goes out, we don't have a fireplace. However, our neighbors do, so worst case we will just walk to their house. 

I'm very much looking forward to play in the snow. With a 6 and 2yo, it should be a blast!

• Like 1

We're not supposed to get the worst of it (for a change) so I'm pretty much okay with it.  There are plenty of other things I wish I could be doing this weekend, but we didn't have any big plans.

I do have to do a little running around today to fill in some preparation gaps, and I'm not looking forward to *that.  I'm also dreading taking the 6" tall dog out in real snow, although we do have back up plans (that he doesn't like, either.)

Oh sheesh! Over 100 accidents in VA? That's bad, even by D.C. snow-phobic driving standards. This hit at the exact wrong time :-(

I think the worst of it was hitting the roads at the height of rush hour.

I left work last night for a five minute drive home around 8. The roads were incredibly slick. It was slow going. There were people who past me trying to go normal speed and then started sliding all over. I'm glad it was past rush hour because there would have been accidents if there were more cars.

I have to go to my other job this more. The school district where I live is closed, but the one right next door is open and on time. Dh is giving me the more snow/ice worthy vehicle today.

I live inside the DC beltway.  We got one inch of snow and the entire world has come to an end.  

I just read about yesterdays snow in DC.  An attorney told WaPo that it took him FOUR HOURS to go 1/2 mile, from his office in DC to an Interstate in NOVA.    

Stay warm.  Have water for 3 days and a battery powered radio.  

I don't normally mind the snow but we had a big even planned at church this Sunday that has been postponed.  I hate it when that happens. 

Less than an inch of snow last night and traffic was awful!  What has happened to people & the local gov't???  I don't remember an inch causing such terrible delays in my youth/young adulthood.  This seems to be a newish (last 5-10yrs) pattern for this area.   I used to go out when it would start snowing and it was never like this before.  I never remember this kind of thing happening back in the  day when I was working.    My daughter got caught in it last night trying to cross the bridge into MD from VA.  She said it was a nighmare.  I'm just glad she got home.

• Like 1

I'm delighted to get a two-hour snow delay for school this morning because homeschooled ds's early morning class was cancelled and public schooled ds goes in late. This is my first-ever school weather delay or cancellation. They didn't do them in Utah when I was growing up. I'll be sending the boys out to play this morning while I walk to the grocery store. I have been bringing snow gear with us for the last few years (from Bishkek where we needed it to Charlottesville to DC to Guadalajara to DC) and we'll finally get it use it this weekend. :)

I'm sorry to not be whining on a whining thread, but I am so excited.

• Like 5

I need to show what you wrote to DD.  I know that she WOULD LOVE to be with you and do the sledding and throw snow balls and build a snow man. We live in a Tropical Valley, those are things she dreams about doing.

• Like 2

We're not supposed to get the worst of it (for a change) so I'm pretty much okay with it.  There are plenty of other things I wish I could be doing this weekend, but we didn't have any big plans.

I do have to do a little running around today to fill in some preparation gaps, and I'm not looking forward to *that.  I'm also dreading taking the 6" tall dog out in real snow, although we do have back up plans (that he doesn't like, either.)

When we lived in VA and got a lot of snow (or a lot for a little dog) I remember having to make a "doggie latrine" outside - shoveling a big circle of grass so the dog could do her business :lol:

We are in Florida now, and complain when it dips below 50.  I would love to be in VA for one more snow where everyone has to stay home and there are plenty of provisions in the house.

• Like 1

Mine is pee pad trained, but he loves snow.  So the dog who won't go out when it's above 70 or raining (at any temp) will want to go out and romp around in it, and he'll get snowballs built up all over him and come back in and melt all over the house.  :lol:

I don't normally mind the snow but we had a big even planned at church this Sunday that has been postponed.  I hate it when that happens. 

Less than an inch of snow last night and traffic was awful!  What has happened to people & the local gov't???  I don't remember an inch causing such terrible delays in my youth/young adulthood.  This seems to be a newish (last 5-10yrs) pattern for this area.   I used to go out when it would start snowing and it was never like this before.  I never remember this kind of thing happening back in the  day when I was working.    My daughter got caught in it last night trying to cross the bridge into MD from VA.  She said it was a nighmare.  I'm just glad she got home.

I'm guessing the traffic load in most big cities is the main factor in incidents like that.  The same thing happened in the Raleigh/Durham area last year (or maybe it was the year before--I can't remember).  When you have already overcrowded roads it doesn't take much of anything (a little snow, a couple of fender benders) to create gridlock.

Huh weird.  They are the opposite here.  I don't think they cancel stuff enough. 

Normally, I'd be happy about the snow since we haven't had any this year. But, I have been waiting for months for a very important doctor's appointment for my dd on Monday. My husband made arrangements so that he could go as well. I'm going to be so upset if we can't go because of the snow.

• Like 1

Complain away.  Day two of cancelled school, college and co-op.  This is the first week of the semester at college.  Chaos will ensue.  

Apparently there is more of this white atrocity on its way.  I told summer it needed to return back in November and we had our first cold snap.  I'm not a fan of this freezing stuff that makes people in TN forget how to drive.

My son will likely miss German class on Saturday, and the voter's assembly meeting at church on Sunday will likely be canceled as well. However, I say LET IT SNOW!! My dog has missed the snow. My kids miss the snow. And my DH just got a spiffy new electric snow shovel for him to try out! Yeah weather can be a pain, but it is the cold days that make us appreciate the warm/hot ones. 

Then again, I moved to this area for the 4 seasons. So that is why I like them when I get them. :)

• Like 1

Huh weird.  They are the opposite here.  I don't think they cancel stuff enough. 

Church hasn't been cancelled yet, just the event.  It included bringing our former priest, who is 90yrs old, down on the train from NY on Saturday.  It was to be his b-day celebration.  He was the parish's founding priest.  It does make sense to reschedule this early on.  But it's still very annoying.  We've been working on it for almost 2 months.  Of all the weekends to sock us with a big snow storm..why this weekend??!!  ;)

• Like 2

I'm in Delaware which means if it snows a few inches schools close. If schools close dh doesn't work but still gets paid so I say let it snow!!! On the weekends his work will close if the roads are bad or it is still snowing with no end in sight. The roads are always bad!

• Like 2

Snow's normal for us--in fact, we couldn't ranch without it, as our summer water is snowmelt. That said, going out at 0200, when it's -6 makes we wish we'd gotten more than our few inches yesterday. It brought our total up to about 3' for the  year. We're about 111% of normal snowfall for the year. The difference here, than in the East, is that once our snow starts, it stays for the entire winter. At least it's not -35 like it was 3 weeks ago! Our lives just continue on when it snows--we go over the passes, the plows keep running, and all the school buses have chains!

There are places that are well prepared for this because they know it's coming - every year and people expect it and know what to do - like you.

But places that only get a little bit now and then are thrown into total panic and all grinds to a halt. When I lived in the CA foothills we could get up to a foot of snow one year and hardly any the next. Surprisingly enough, preparation overall seemed to be lacking. The public school would call all parents to pick up their kids at the sight of the first snow flake for fear power would go next. The little store ran out of things inside one hour. Dh and I learned quickly to stock up, have emergency supplies handy, candles, extra water and LOTS of firewood.

I still remember you telling me once that sometimes you can see the first snow in August. BRRRRRR.

Snow's normal for us--in fact, we couldn't ranch without it, as our summer water is snowmelt. That said, going out at 0200, when it's -6 makes we wish we'd gotten more than our few inches yesterday. It brought our total up to about 3' for the  year. We're about 111% of normal snowfall for the year. The difference here, than in the East, is that once our snow starts, it stays for the entire winter. At least it's not -35 like it was 3 weeks ago! Our lives just continue on when it snows--we go over the passes, the plows keep running, and all the school buses have chains!

And here in the Midwest the school close and activities are cancelled for half an inch, it's pathetic. (Oh, and people can't drive... that's another issue)

• Like 2

I'm upset the snow decided to grace the mid-Atlantic rather than Boston.  I just one good snowstorm!  My parents in NC will have had more snow that Boston after this weekend.  I'd rather some pretty snow to keep us cuddly for a day and then summer (not a Boston cold summer, a Southern summer) should come right back!

Our summer water is rain, so feel free to come and get all of the snow you want.  It's really completely unnecessary.

There are places that are well prepared for this because they know it's coming - every year and people expect it and know what to do - like you.

But places that only get a little bit now and then are thrown into total panic and all grinds to a halt. When I lived in the CA foothills we could get up to a foot of snow one year and hardly any the next. Surprisingly enough, preparation overall seemed to be lacking. The public school would call all parents to pick up their kids at the sight of the first snow flake for fear power would go next. The little store ran out of things inside one hour. Dh and I learned quickly to stock up, have emergency supplies handy, candles, extra water and LOTS of firewood.

I still remember you telling me once that sometimes you can see the first snow in August. BRRRRRR.

I'm starting to think it's not as simple as D.C. folks are inherently stupid about driving in the snow.  I think it's more a factor of the sheer volume of people.  In other places, if one car slides a bit it might not be big deal.  Here, if an icy patch exists, 5 cars are going to slide, two will hit each other, and this will block the progress of thousands of other vehicles. It seems like last night, the roads were fine so people were just doing their rush hour thing, but anything remotely elevated was frozen and slick.  Now you have traffic stopped at a gazillion on-ramps and over passes.  

I also think that's why they seem so overly cautious with cancellations.  The sheer logistics of the number of school children that are moved in a day is staggering.  I'm not sure they even do chains on school buses anymore.  I grew up in rural WV.  Our buses had chains and school was rarely cancelled.  Up here, that many chains on that many buses would likely destroy the roads.

ETA:  I'm pretty sure I won the Snow Day.  Our co-op was cancelled and I went back to sleep until almost NOON.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 4

We're not the snowiest in the country, but the Pocono Mountains aren't a stranger to it, either.  

Our schools are somewhat liberal with snow days. People get mad, either way.  Last year, they had a lot of "cold days", which had more to do with bus stop exposure and bus/building heating issues.  Many people completely flipped out.  This year, one of the schools had heating issues and they kept kids in school. Many people completely flipped out. You can't win.

When my son was in school, I kept him home several times when the schools were open.  Those last 200' of elevation at our house make a giant difference in road conditions.

I love homeschooling!

• Like 1

This has been covered repeatedly. Towns that are not used to certain weather conditions are disadvantaged. People that have never driven in snow tend to be overly cautious.

Yet people still get off to making condescending comments about it, while others brag about their towns thriving in -40 degree weather with 10 feet of snow.

It snows here every.single.year. Multiple times. It's not like we are in an area that gets snow only once a decade. So "not used to" snow is a bad excuse.

I am all for people staying home who feel uncomfortable venturing out driving if they have the option, and I understand that some people might truly be unable to get off their properties. But the general feeling of panic ("oh no, SNOW!) and blanket cancellation of activities that happens every.single.time without fail is ridiculous, and I reserve the right to make any kind of comment I choose.

The whole concept of cancellations is alien to me. It is a symptom of the litigious society where everybody is afraid of being blamed for something. Elsewhere, people just deal with the weather and move on (One can actually be outside in subfreezing temperatures. Even - gasp- children! That's why winter clothes have been invented). But then, elsewhere people are also not conditioned to drive from door to door. I actually had able bodied students tell me they would not make it to class because they live a mile and half away from campus and the car wouldn't start. I reserve the right to consider this ridiculous, too.

Edited by regentrude

(One can actually be outside in subfreezing temperatures. Even - gasp- children! That's why winter clothes have been invented). 

I'm not sure what's really important enough to put children out in the 15-to-30-minute-to-frostbite zone with mile walks to the bus stop, plus bus wait.  Perhaps to obtain needed food or medicine, but that's not a common issue here.

• Like 3