Menu

Connecting history topics across eras: civil rights, worker movements, etc

xposted to High School board 

We´ve covered our time frame (modern) chronologically for the year, and now I would like to go back and cover some topics across time and place. Don´t you want to help me make a list? You know you do! 

Here are a few I´m thinking about so far, time frame about 1850 onward (and brief mentions of pivotal moments/people before that).

Please feel free to add new ones to the list, or to add great resources to a specific topic. We do correlate history and literature, and I´m also working on a list of speeches, folk and protest songs, documentaries, youTube videos, so bring it on! 

I´ll compile and repost. 

Workers' movements: child labor in Europe and America, the union movement, Grapes of Wrath, The Cry of the Children

War: related literature and poetry, atititudes toward war and acceptable reasons, War is Kind, compare Vietnam era protest songs and videos, changing doctrines of countries, Cold War 

Equal Rights: women, civil rights movement in US, LGBTQ, apartheid, Invictus, 

Espionage and spies: Code Talker, simple codes and ciphers, spies in the movies vs real life, modern spies like Aldrich Ames 

• Like 1

Something I find interesting is the foment and intersection of several Big Things in the ante-bellum period of US history.

Abolitionism, women's sufferage, pioneer settlements, the Gold Rush, major industrialization, massive waves of European immigration to the US--these all happened in roughly the same period, yet they tend to be taught more or less separately.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 3

How about national liberation struggles? I have a short list of interesting resources about India. 

Yes, please share those. I´m considering spending some time contrasting national liberation struggles where the original land lost their independence and regained it, versus situations where the native people ´lost´ and continue to struggle for rights and/or reparations (United States, Australia). 

Something I find interesting in the foment and intersection of several Big Things in the ante-bellum period of US history.

Abolitionism, women's sufferage, pioneer settlements, the Gold Rush, major industrialization, massive waves of European immigration to the US--these all happened in roughly the same period, yet they tend to be taught more or less separately.

Hmm, yes, all big topics that would need a universal theme. At first glance, all but industrialization would fit into a motif of struggling for freedom, independence, self-reliance, and perhaps that one does as well. People hoping for more freedom and independence at a job in the city versus working the family farm? 

*ponders* 

• Like 1

Hmm, yes, all big topics that would need a universal theme. At first glance, all but industrialization would fit into a motif of struggling for freedom, independence, self-reliance, and perhaps that one does as well. People hoping for more freedom and independence at a job in the city versus working the family farm? 

I have actually thought about this a lot, and I think that the theme is 'instability'.

No more divine right of kings (rockin their worlds!), lots of successful struggles for state independence, lots of mapping one freedom struggle (abolition, or wars of independence) onto another (women's sufferage), lots of cultural instability in Europe with the more or less completed rise of the middle class coupled with SEVERE overcrowding, opportunities for factory employment vs. artisan or farming work, etc. 

EVERYTHING was unstable.  The social order, how to make a living, how to think about proper roles, attachment to a specific piece of land or even a specific village, everything.  And everything is at stake on every hand, too.  Women's sufferage allowed in the territories but not in the US.  The question of whether you can force people to go against their consciences and turn in runaway slaves rachetts the slavery question up several notches.  Are new states slave or free?  Will the pioneers be able to survive?  How about the Native Americans?  Life and death physical and moral questions on every side.  It's quite remarkable.

I have actually thought about this a lot, and I think that the theme is 'instability'.

I think you're right. 

And really,  you just need to throw this into outline form for the rest of us . . .  :laugh:

I've never heard of that, thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

This is kind of mini topic along those lines, but Stuff You Missed in History (podcast) did a series on civil rights that led right into education rights--special education law and the like. The three or four podcasts are sprinkled around in February and March of 2015.

I think it would be interesting to study how disease influenced the course of history--especially something like tuberculosis. There is a good movie on Amazon Prime about tuberculosis. http://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Plague-Chana-Gazit/dp/B00SR33M4I/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1453425566&sr=1-1&keywords=tuberculosis 

• Like 1

Yes, please share those. I´m considering spending some time contrasting national liberation struggles where the original land lost their independence and regained it, versus situations where the native people ´lost´ and continue to struggle for rights and/or reparations (United States, Australia)

Look up Eddie Mabo.

Also check your library for books written by foreign correspondents. Bonus points if they are not your nationality. They provide a whole lot of info you won't hear in the news.

• Like 2

Just in general, there is a book called "Common Ground" that I have read over and over and highly recommend.  

It is about the bussing controversies in Boston.

I believe it won a Pulitzer prize.  

It is very long, quite readable, and somewhat of a pioneer in the art of doing historical writing from several completely different but well developed points of view.  Kind of like what Michener's "Hawaii" did for historical fiction.

It's fantastic, and I think it would fit your theme.  It's not, however, part of my upcoming series "High Stakes Instability" because it is set in the wrong era, LOL.

• Like 3