Menu

If your young-ish kid wants grades

39 members have voted

1. 1. See first post

• I already give grades, whether my kids want them or not
    • I wouldn't give grades to young-ish kids (also check this if you wouldn't give grades to any age kid)
    • I would give grades to young-ish kids if my kids requested them, but otherwise I wouldn't
    • Depends on the kid's personality etc - some kids yes, some kids no
    • Other
  2. 2. If you do give grades, do you feel they're 'inflated'

• I don't give grades
    • No, they're not 'inflated', and as a result are lower than grades many other kids get in school for the same work
    • No, they're not 'inflated', they're similar to the grades kids get in school for the same work, I just don't believe grade inflation is a 'thing'
    • Yes, they're 'inflated', because that's what everyone else (schools etc) does
    • I live in a country other than the USA where grade inflation isn't a thing (yet)
    • Other

So, this is my first year homeschooling my 8yo 3rd grader, and he has asked for grades on a few occasions (but only if he thinks he'd get a very high grade, lol).

I don't see much of a point in giving an 8yo grades. I don't like the American grading system, especially not as inflated as grades often are these days. I would prefer for him to just do without grades for a while, get the emphasis away from testing and grading etc (I don't need to test him to know where he's at, I don't need to grade him to know where he's at, but apparently he has learned in school that it's fun to get 90-somethings on a regular basis). Plus, if he gets grades, his 5yo brother might want grades too. Too much of a headache.

So, not specifically asking for advice here (I'm pretty inclined to just continue saying "nope"), mostly just curious what other people (would) do.

Young-ish children want grades because their friends in school get grades. Or their grandparents keep asking them about their grades. They don't really and truly know what grades even mean; they just want them because. And in my continuing efforts to make our learning at home not look like school at all, because children have to go to a place called a school to learn what they need to know to take care of themselves and their families when they grow up, I avoid giving grades to young-ish children.

• Like 1

My kids have grades when they were in public school and for outside classes. However their grades are test scores. For example if they are able to conjugate german verbs that can be found in their semester one textbook correctly, they get 100% for that section of the end of semester test.

I don't bother giving grades but it is easy for my kids to grade things like how many math questions they did correctly at first try, how many Chinese vocabulary words they can recall by themselves and convert it to a percentage correct. So they give themselves grades when they want to.

ETA:

My kids didn't bother asking. They DIY their grades.

Edited by Arcadia

Nope, no grades. And I've been using MM with its intro pages removed, so he doesn't know what grade he's working at, either.

ETA I can't vote on your poll because WTM says I haven't made any posts in the forum, yet. LOL

Edited by Hwin

I wouldn't give grades with any meaning to a youngish kid. I would maybe give gold stars or come up with our own silly grade system or something if it made the child happy.

Since this always comes up on these threads when the graders chip in, grading and correcting work are different to me. Not giving "grades" doesn't mean I didn't have my kids correct incorrect math problems, for example.

• Like 4

I say... make him "grade" his own work... Print off rubrics or checklists, teach him to divide for percentage on math papers, etc.

He'll get bored of grading soon enough.

Grading's not WHY I gave up teaching high school but it certainly wasn't one of the things that made me want to continue LOL

• Like 2

We do not give grades. However, if we did, they would **simultaneously** be straight As, and not inflated!  LOL How? Because we work at things until we produce excellent work, regardless of how long it takes.

In school, time is held constant (the quarter ends whenever the quarter ends), so the grade reflects what is achieved in the time allotted.

In our homeschool, the grade is held constant (we work until we produce excellent work), so the time it takes reflects how long it takes to produce excellent work.

If I had kids with issues that made learning hard and we wanted to stop a particular subject before we achieved what I consider "excellence", then I would consider it less than an A. But oldest is only in 4th grade, and so far we have always succeeded as long as we kept plugging along.

If my DC really *did* want grades, I would explain to them what that actually meant in a school setting, and how that is different than what we consider grades. I would tell them it would mean I would mark down their "grade" every time I corrected their math page, for instance, and that they would still have to correct their errors. Over time we would average it (or whatever) and I'd be happy to tell them what their "grade" is whenever they want me to (such as in June when everyone else is getting a report card), but that they shouldn't view those grades as the end of the learning in that area. Even though I'd give them grades at their request, we would still continue working until it would actually be an A, whether or not that was on their "report card schedule". Does that make sense?

• Like 3

I wouldn't give grades with any meaning to a youngish kid. I would maybe give gold stars or come up with our own silly grade system or something if it made the child happy.

I really like this, and it's a great way to maintain the dc's motivation to keep working.  We all need some kind of acknowledgement that we are doing something meaningful.

I voted for yes, I would, if they asked, but chose other on the second section. I would not inflate anything, but I have no bloody clue how the school down the street would view the same level of work. (Nor do I care, frankly.)

eta: These grades would amount to an 86% or an 11/13 written at the top of their page. If you're talking full size transcripts I'm out. :tongue_smilie:

Edited by SilverMoon

I voted other. I sometimes gave grades on math tests in younger grades. I don't believe they were inflated but have no idea if schools somehow inflate math test grades--mainly I just wrote "A+" "100%!" if they got everything correct (I actually had an A+ ink stamp my mom gave me), or A if it was 90% and above--I didn't really give out a grade otherwise. I never graded spelling, science, history, reading etc..., and it wasn't something my kids asked for. I DID write comments on things done well (or parts of things done well) for encouragement. Ie, "Neat handwriting!" or "very creative idea" or "I like how careful you were to do xyz..." etc... 

I didn't give out report cards etc... and wouldn't go to that extent for a young student (maybe an older one who wants free things for A's at a local store--our video store does that). 

I don't keep up with whether grades are inflated, but I do think a lot of expectations are out of whack (sometimes both ways, oddly enough). 

I happily teach my kids how to figure out their own grades.  (not letters, but % correct.  I'm a big fan of teaching math concepts when the kids are excited about them.)  I also hand them my grading rubric before they have to submit any written work, so they know exactly what I'm looking for on every assignment.  I don't put any stock in grades because I'm always adjusting my teaching toward the goal of mastery, but if it motivates them to do a better job, why not.

Edited by Plink

I answered that I would give grades to a child who requested them but what I really mean is that I wouldn't refuse to give a child grades.  DD wanted grades for several years and I always tried to, but most of what we did wasn't really gradable.  So for the few things that were she would get marks (like 12 right out of 14) she usually dropped the idea before I had to actually figure up letter grade.  I think that might qualify me as a flake but in the end we were both mostly happy.  She got to see a score that showed she was doing well and I got to avoid the onerous chore of grading every little scrap of paper and project to arrive at an accurate grade.

If you can't tell I don't grade.  Now that I have a H.S. student I have been keeping better track for future Colleges. 

I do not give grades. We do take tests and they know when they have gotten answers wrong. Once in a while a child will be very please with their work and ask for an A+. They got this from books or tv. I proudly write an A+ and give the kid a kiss.

• Like 1

Interesting. I sometimes give grades since my kid loves seeing an A or 100% when he gets everything correct. But that is about it. I never have given grade inflation any thought at all. Same thing about " What grade is he in?" I just laugh and ask which subject and then say his age.

I generally do not give grades .

Gemi and Taurus get a sticker on their completed workbooks pages because that's a big deal to them. Whatever. It doesn't mean anything. I just want them to put the letters on the paper. It's a good incentive that says "Yay! You did a page of busywork without having a meltdown! Good for you!"

I do remember scoring Sagg's work 8/10 type scores. we had a deal where he had to get so many right or do it again. I don't exactly remember. Sagg is very much a numbers-and-facts kind of kid. He needs to KNOW that he's doing well by objective measures. No he uses an online program that does all of that for him, so I don't have to. 

I use a different system with Aries now. He does NOT like scores and judgement. When I correct his work, I recopy the incorrect ones and he does those again. When they are correct, he can move on. No numbers, no scores. He's doing his first bridge in LOF (for the second time, because he failed and I made him start the whole book over with parental guidance). It's likely to kill him. This is first experience with being scored and he does not like it at all. 

I said that Yes I would give scores. They are not inflated, not because grade inflation is not a thing-it totally is- but because I don't grade subjective work. I will score math or a quiz if that's what works for the kid. But if it's not what works, then no. Gemi is extremely self-critical. I don't see a lot of grades and scoring in his near future. 

My kids who had been in ps both wanted grades, so I gave them in subjects where I easily could. For example, math had tests and I graded them. I can't remember what else I graded in elementary years. My kids always thought they were failing if they missed a single question. Giving them grades helped their confidence. Were they inflated? They were usually A's, so some might think so. We worked for mastery, so it was rare to test before they knew the information well enough to get an A. I do believe grade inflation exists, but I didn't try to inflate anything. It just wasn't necessary.

• Like 1

Our schools do not give grades, even. They do give a below-grade-level 2, at / slightly above grade level 3, and far above grade level (next grade) 4, each quarter. However, most teachers make it a policy to give as many kids "at grade level" as possible. They say if many kids are getting fours or a kid is getting all fours, then the curriculum or the kid is not a good fit for that classroom. My kids test far above grade level (2 - 5 grades in every subject) as do many of their peers. The average grade is still "3" which means "don't worry".

I do not believe this is grade inflation, by the way, though we are in the US. A 90% does not mean excellent. It means an easy test.

If he wants to calculate the fraction correct, go for it. Otherwise I'd stay away from grades. I think they are somewhat meaningless anyway if you have nothing to compare him to.

Edited by Tsuga