Menu

Coffee colonics et al VENT

Chris in VA

Ugh. A family member is so into extreme stuff--I'm fine with only organics, watching aluminum in deoderant, even the anti-vax and essential oils stuff (don't agree with some of it, but it seems there are varying opinions that have some basis in truth). And it's this person's right to believe whatever.

But now this person says doing near-daily coffee enemas is a great thing, that the contents of the colon (you know--brown stuff) prevents the absorption of nutrients, so you need to clean it out regularly. Like every day regularly.

Which, to me, is full of crap. So to speak.

I think the body is designed to have that in the colon (not arguing intelligent design so sub in evolved if you want) and that if you eat clean, as this person does, there is little evidence that "detox" is necessary. So this person says, You brush your teeth, don't you? Ugh. Like it's the same thing.

I just get so tired of EVERY conversation turning into this person's radical and frankly, STUPID ideas. Chemtrails, 911 was a conspiracy, faked moon landing, and all the nutrition stuff (ok, some of the nutrition stuff I absolutely believe and yes, I do think Monsanto is rather evil, even though the "spraying wheat with chemicals right before harvest is the reason gluten only sometimes bothers people" has been debunked...). It's as if this person was never taught to seek out information and then TEST IT. This person just reads whatever from whatever source and goes with it, with NO CRITICAL THINKING.

I can't debunk everything, and I don't want to. I can't always pass the bean dip. It's just so ...ugh.

• Like 7

Not that I want to support the woo woo but the coffee enemas do help some people woth chronic illnesses such as lyme disease.

I don't believe it is meant to be a daily thing for anyone, especially healthy people eating a whole foods diet.

• Like 5

Oh my, do we know the same person? The one I know always has a Thing going...whether it is colon cleansing (yes, I've heard of the coffee thing!), building an earth shelter house or straw bale house, liturgical music, various religious themes, raw foods diet, and on and on. If you see her, you will get an ear full of her latest Thing. I don't see her anymore.

As for daily enemas...ugh!! It took me a while to get back to normal after my colonoscopy. Do we really want to be disturbing our intestinal flora every day??? Sheesh.

Sorry you are dealing with this! Can you tell this person you don't want to talk about it anymore? Can you change the subject?

People do that?  :huh:

ETA:  Still :huh: , but now I'm wondering how someone came up with the idea.  You know, sitting in front of the computer, sipping on a cup of hot java...hmm...hot java...I know what I should do.... :scared:

Edited by JoJosMom
  • Like 13

The scientific evidence for any of the detoxing stuff just isn't there, even if you don't eat clean.

Anyway, daily enemas are unsafe.

But some people really like them.

Some people like all sorts of creepy things! Ick.

I'll take my coffee from the top.  The good news is that a good percentage of women have their bowels affected by drinking coffee, and if you are prone to constipation, that's a good thing.  Morning cup of joe works better than an enema for me, and I tried it years ago from desperation. I don't think it was coffee though.

Just though I would throw that bit of TMI in there for ya.

• Like 2

Chris, what if you just outcrazied the person? What if you went all, "That's amazing!!! Tell me more! DH? DH! Come listen to this! I think we need to seriously consider this!" If you stopped resisting and just went 150% supportive, do you think that might make them take a step back in confusion, or would it just amp them up even more? 

Either way, it might make the interaction more amusing for you :D

I'm in the "Nothing's going UP. UP is not an option!" camp.

• Like 7

"The best part of waking up, is Folger's in your....."  

It seems like a sacrilege to treat coffee in such a way.  That stuff is the nectar of the gods.  At least in this house..lol.

ETA:  And yes, I changed my profile picture days BEFORE this thread! lol.

Edited by The Girls' Mom
  • Like 5

"The best part of waking up, is Folger's in your....."  

It seems like a sacrilege to treat coffee in such a way.  That stuff is the nectar of the gods.  At least in this house..lol.

ETA:  And yes, I changed my profile picture days BEFORE this thread! lol.

Do you watch Big Bang Theory?  In one episode Sheldon tries to argue for evidence that the area eh hem behind there has taste buds.  So ya know...LOL

• Like 1

I knew a homeschool family that the father was right into this. We thought it was bordering on wife abuse that he made his wife do this every few days ( and openly bragged about it). We also suspected he might have made some of his children do it as well. A complete nutter.

I believe that coffee  and other substances are more readily absorbed into the body from the bowl than being swallowed, and it can actually be harmful to take coffee this way.

According to my grandma enemas were given fairly regularly to people when she was a child (over 80 years ago) and people seemed to be preoccupied on having regular movements . possibly had something to do with the low fiber diet that people at that time ate. they never used coffee though.

• Like 1

Chris, what if you just outcrazied the person? What if you went all, "That's amazing!!! Tell me more! DH? DH! Come listen to this! I think we need to seriously consider this!" If you stopped resisting and just went 150% supportive, do you think that might make them take a step back in confusion, or would it just amp them up even more?

Either way, it might make the interaction more amusing for you :D

I'm in the "Nothing's going UP. UP is not an option!" camp.

Call them up and say "WOO! Try it with RED BULL! WOOOO!"

• Like 16

I think I remember a news article (which I will NOT google, tyvm) about teens getting drunk during school breaks using this method of administration.  They were caught because they absorbed too much alcohol and nearly got really hurt.  I wonder about caffeine absorption levels in this idea... So, I guess, Red Bull would be contraindicated? 

I can't believe I'm still giggling about this.  Thanks a lot, ya'll! 

• Like 2