Menu

Is Change.org legit? (Kinder Egg Content)

PIE!

I just saw a post from a friend on Facebook asking to sign a petition from change.org.

I can fully get behind the cause - to remove the ban on Kinder Surprise Eggs in the USA.

But I don't know if change.org is legit. I hesitate to give my address to an unfamiliar website. A google search came up with mixed opinions. I thought I'd ask here.

I don't know the answer...but I thought I'd chime in & ask if you're familiar with Yowie chocolate eggs? My husband says they're bigger than kinder eggs but I haven't seen kinder eggs in person.

We were in World Market a couple of weeks ago & they had Yowie chocolate eggs with a toy inside & they had lots of Kinder chocolate, but not eggs, of course.

So, if you're just interested in the novelty maybe the yowie would do? If you're interested in the kinder chocolate...there's plenty of other kinder choices.

• Like 2

I've heard of Yowie eggs, but I've never seen them. 

I can easily get Kinder Eggs because I live on the Canadian border. We eat them before we cross back. I know other people who sneak them across.

It's sort of the principle of the thing. In my mind there is really no good reason to ban them here, and any resources dedicated to the enforcement of this law are resources wasted.

But mainly, I don't want to give my address to a website I'm not sure about, and would like to know if anyone here is familiar with it.

• Like 3

I've heard of Yowie eggs, but I've never seen them.

I can easily get Kinder Eggs because I live on the Canadian border. We eat them before we cross back. I know other people who sneak them across.

It's sort of the principle of the thing. In my mind there is really no good reason to ban them here, and any resources dedicated to the enforcement of this law are resources wasted.

But mainly, I don't want to give my address to a website I'm not sure about, and would like to know if anyone here is familiar with it.

Why are they banned?

It looks like you can order them off Amazon. Can they just not be sold in brick and mortar stores?

I think the ones on Amazon are not the same. They are Kinder Joy (?) which is different.

Also, I didn't realize until today that the small toys inside sometimes come disassembled (which makes them even smaller). The Yowie eggs have a solid piece animal inside kind of like a small Schleich.

I always thought it was weird because the chocolate is outside the egg. So the kid eats the chocolate, opens the egg, and then swallows the toy?   Yeah, I can see how that can happen, but it also can happen when a family has kids ranging from a baby to old enough for Legos. Are the kinder eggs really worse than stray Legos?  

ETA: I notice the French child who choked was 3.  So I guess the toys are a choking hazard even for older kids. 

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 1

I wanted to sign things for change.org before but I think I stopped myself because I didn't want to give up all my info.

I always thought it was weird because the chocolate is outside the egg. So the kid eats the chocolate, opens the egg, and then swallows the toy?   Yeah, I can see how that can happen, but it also can happen when a family has kids ranging from a baby to old enough for Legos. Are the kinder eggs really worse than stray Legos?  

ETA: I notice the French child who choked was 3.  So I guess the toys are a choking hazard even for older kids. 

My guess is sometimes children are given the eggs by oblivious adults/older children?? Based on that link you have to open a plastic egg before removing toy parts, so eating the chocolate is not supposed to be dangerous. I don't know how the 3yr old got to the toy (maybe they were able to open it themselves. Maybe the plastic egg was not sealed??).

Do some adults think "surprise" means "surprise flavor" instead of toy/choking hazard? Is that what all the packages say?

• Like 1

If the plastic capsule inside is anything like the yowie ones...it is very difficult to open. VERY. A 3 year old could not do it. 

I started thinking maybe I had used change.org & I checked my email. Sure enough, I signed a petition in April of last year. It hasn't been intrusive, as I didn't even remember at first. I'm sure I gave up personal information, but I thought the petition was worth it I guess.

If the plastic capsule inside is anything like the yowie ones...it is very difficult to open. VERY. A 3 year old could not do it. 

I started thinking maybe I had used change.org & I checked my email. Sure enough, I signed a petition in April of last year. It hasn't been intrusive, as I didn't even remember at first. I'm sure I gave up personal information, but I thought the petition was worth it I guess.

Yes! I have a hard time opening them too!

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it was change.org, but sometimes after I sign a petition I get emails for more, but whenever I have "unsubscribed" it got rid of the problem.  I know change.org is legit, so I would imagine if you do get emails about petitions or whatever, you could unsubscribe simply enough.

lol, guess what I bought for my kids when I was in Canda this past week? I had absolutely no idea they weren't allowed in the US. I picked them up at a stop on the highway. My kids love the Kinder brand and I hadn't seen them before.  I thought they looked like a fun treat.

FWIW, the chocolate was low quality and not very good. The toy was very silly and will get tossed or vacuumed up soon. But it would make a fun Christmas stocking or Easter basket or grab bag gift

I can't imagine a three year old opening the capsule. We all had a difficult time opening them.  And the capsule is large, on par with a silly putty container or one of those plastic bubbles that have a toy inside that you get out of a gumball machine. It hardly fits inside my mouth..I tried to get it in there. It doesn't split into two smaller halves either, it stays connected. The toys themselves are roughly bigger than Lego people. If you keep legos away from your child, then you wouldn't want him or her to have this. But, if they are safe to be around Legos, then this would be fine as well.

And it is literally wrapped in warnings that they are not for children 3 and under.

I actually think the capsule is the best part. I am sure they will come in handy for storing something. I bet they would make great travel vitamin holders.

• Like 1