Menu

For those who are Pro Flu Shot...

carriede

Is it too late/not so important to get the flu vaccine for my kids and I?

We usually get vaccinated every fall, but I'm just now getting around to having the kids' well-child visits done - which is when we usually have them vaccinated. Also, I did not get mine done with DH when he got his at work since I'm pregnant, but kept forgetting to ask my OB for their shot.

So yeah. Everything I read online says "better late than never". I'm not so sure for myself since I'm 34 weeks pregnant... would that matter?

Thanks for any advice!

I would definitely have the kids get it.  If the flu strikes your area late, you really don't want pukey kids when you have a newborn...

???

Influenza does not usually make patients puke.

And the flu vaccine does not prevent what is commonly known as "stomach flu" which is not, in fact, flu.

• Like 8

???

Influenza does not usually make patients puke.

And the flu vaccine does not prevent what is commonly known as "stomach flu" which is not, in fact, flu.

I've known lots of children who did get pukey with the flu (not stomach flu). It's not uncommon.

I mean, maybe in the coughed so hard he puked way, but not as an actual symptom of influenza. And certainly not the primary danger to a newborn.

It's really not that big of a deal but vomiting and diahrrea are listed as symptoms among children. My neice has lots of gastrointestinal issues with influenza (positive test and most other normally associated issues).

• Like 2

Not too late.

And - last year DS and DD had flu A and B simultaneously, and that particular strain involved lots of vomit. I ended up hospitalized from the same strain, and everyone in the hospital said it was common that year. So, while its not the usual, you can certainly have vomiting as a symptom.

I don't know if it's common, but vomiting is often reported in children with the flu. Adults, not so much. We've only had the flu once, as a family. Kids puked for 2 or 3 days. I've also heard diarrhea can occur in kids.

Our only bout with the flu (knock on wood and all that jazz) involved 4 or 5 of the 6 of us puking regularly.  (The youngest wasn't born yet.)  2 kids and 1 adult were tested, so we're confident it was the real flu (H1N1, actually) in all of us!  It wasn't the longest or most prominent symptom, but it sure was miserable!