Menu

Ditching Horizons math

Juliegmom

My daughter has been using Horizons math for grades 2-5. She does well in math, but doesn't particularly care for it and her strengths lie more in the area of reading/writing (language arts). I like the spiral approach in Horizons math, but other than providing an answer key I find the teacher guide lacking. My daughter is beginning to feel frustrated by the lack of explanations, but is still doing well on each math test. I am not strong in math and we typically use Khan academy when we need extra help. I want something that will give my daughter more guided instruction and sample problems as we get into the upper levels. I thought we'd stick with Horizons for grade 6, but I'm seriously thinking about making a change for next year.

I'm not interested in Teaching Textbook, but am wondering about Math Mammoth. Does anyone have any suggestions how to proceed if we leave Horizons math after completing grade 5? What are some good options? Thank you!

Edited by Juliegmom
  • Like 1

I was just reviewing the grade 6 sample of Mammoth. It shows a lesson on exponents which my daughter is already learning this year in Horizons 5. Hmm. I also saw a statement that they are aligned to the common core which makes me wonder if we will have further problems. I was hoping to make a lateral move into their grade 6 book, but maybe that won't be as easy as I thought.

• Like 1

We used Horizons Math during grade 2-5,

Used in 6 flemish textbooks geared to the exams,

And started AoPS pre algebra after that.

We don't do the challenging problems, but we are very glad with the solid explanations.

We used the Pre-A + Understanding Geometry during grade 7+ 8

We use Intro to Algebra during grade 9+10 with LoF statistics.

Afterthat we will use something Flemish geared to the grade 12 exit exams

• Like 1

Well, I think any sixth grade and up math will have exponents--Horizons 6 does, Saxon 87, Dolciani pre-Alg, etc.

My oldest skipped Horizons 6 and went right into pre-Alg. I used it with the next and really liked it a lot. I loved the practical math at the end.

I've only used Math Mammoth for first and fourth so I can't speak to sixth.

However, after years of resisting I started Saxon with my second child and love it for her. It has the spiral like Horizons with lots of teaching and a great mental math/ fact practice part.

• Like 1

We used Horizons Math during grade 2-5,

Used in 6 flemish textbooks geared to the exams,

And started AoPS pre algebra after that.

We don't do the challenging problems, but we are very glad with the solid explanations.

We used the Pre-A + Understanding Geometry during grade 7+ 8

We use Intro to Algebra during grade 9+10 with LoF statistics.

Afterthat we will use something Flemish geared to the grade 12 exit exams

Thank you! . . . I admit that I'm not familiar with Flemish textbooks. Would you mind helping me a little further in pointing me in the right direction? :)  

Thank you! . . . I admit that I'm not familiar with Flemish textbooks. Would you mind helping me a little further in pointing me in the right direction? :)

Flemish textboks are textbooks from Flanders, where I live and are written in Dutch.

Sorry, I'm no help in that.

She didn't learn much new except calculating the volume of cilindres.

Math in Focus has been lateral with Horizons for us. One of my DC uses both.

To save costs with MiF get the student textbook from a used book site, but the workbook new, and get the "homeschool answer key"instead of the TM. There is more than enough instruction in the student text.

• Like 2

Math in Focus has been lateral with Horizons for us. One of my DC uses both.

To save costs with MiF get the student textbook from a used book site, but the workbook new, and get the "homeschool answer key"instead of the TM. There is more than enough instruction in the student text.

Thank you! Would you recommend supplementing Horizons or switching over completely to MiF?

Thank you! Would you recommend supplementing Horizons or switching over completely to MiF?

In your case I'd probably just switch over. They are both more than enough by themselves, and both solid math courses. We have a different situation. My DC that uses both has a super stubborn/determined fire and ice personality and is a strong math student. She races through Horizons at top speed enjoying herself, until suddenly she decides its too easy/simple/whatever and declares it stupid, thus math time becomes awful. That's when I hand her MiF, which has a very different approach, and math is sunny again. She'll race merrily along in MiF, enjoying the fresh challenge, until it's making her think too much, and wants her comfortable Horizons back. Lather, rinse, repeat. I make no attempt to line either book up, but I do usually end up skipping redundant sections when we do a switch.

Sorry. . . one more question! :-) I see that MiF is common core aligned. Horizons is not. Will this be an issue?

It hasn't been an issue for us, but I don't give a fig about a CC stamp or the absence of such on our books. I expect Horizons would be CC aligned if they cared to have it examined. I believe MiF already met or exceeded all the CC benchmarks when they came out and thus gladly put the stamp on their books. Public schools use MiF so not having the stamp would be the kiss of death. Alpha Omega (Horizons publisher) only serves private schools and homeschoolers, and thus has no need to see if they can use the CC stamp.

• Like 1

My daughter has been using Horizons math for grades 2-5. She does well in math, but doesn't particularly care for it and her strengths lie more in the area of reading/writing (language arts). I like the spiral approach in Horizons math, but other than providing an answer key I find the teacher guide lacking. My daughter is beginning to feel frustrated by the lack of explanations, but is still doing well on each math test. I am not strong in math and we typically use Khan academy when we need extra help. I want something that will give my daughter more guided instruction and sample problems as we get into the upper levels. I thought we'd stick with Horizons for grade 6, but I'm seriously thinking about making a change for next year.

I'm not interested in Teaching Textbook, but am wondering about Math Mammoth. Does anyone have any suggestions how to proceed if we leave Horizons math after completing grade 5? What are some good options? Thank you!

If you want a publisher you can stick with until the bitter end, there's always Saxon. That would be my first choice.

Rod and Staff's math is also excellent, although it only goes through 8th. On the up side, people here report that when their children finished the 8th grade book, they were able to go right into algebra, so there's that. :-)

My dd used Horizons 1-6a.

I think it's an awkward time for you to switch because you are almost into pre-algebra concepts.  What might make more sense is to wait until you finish the first book in Horizons 6 and then switch to a Pre-Algebra program. I can't imagine you having trouble teaching the concepts in Horizons 6a, as...it's 6th grade math...I am not a math genius by any stretch but I have had no issue whatsoever explaining anything,  and just like you said, if you want a different approach you can look it up on Khan Academy.

If you try to switch now you'll find yourself in the last book of any series that teaches everything differently and has a different scope and sequence.  Just my experience as we were tired of Horizons and my dd really wanted to make the switch after 5th grade but it just wouldn't have been wise.  We waited, (finished the first half of 6th) and now she is 100% ready for Pre-Algebra  :o) 

• Like 2

Oh, I just wanted to add, that you could switch now to MIF, for 6-8th grade but they have a very different scope and sequence and it depends where you live, how bright your dd is, and what your schools expect.  Using MIF would mean she doesn't start Algebra till 9th grade.  Here where I live that would be one year behind.  THe really bright students actually do Algebra 1 in 7th grade.  8th grade is for all students.  9th grade would be a year behind.

But, since Common Core, many districts are preferring a slower approach to higher maths and encouraging putting Algebra 1 back to 9th grade.  So, check out what the schools in your state are doing...

BUT MIF would definitely be a fresh approach and looks so great...if you are willing to spread pre-algebra over 3 years. 

• Like 1

We did Horizons from 1st-3rd grade and the switched over to Saxon Homeschool.  It has been a great fit.  The reason I did that is because as much as I like Horizons I did not think the upper courses (pre algebra/algebra) gave enough explanation.  Saxon on the other hand laid out the lessons well and had excellent examples.

• Like 2

Oh, I just wanted to add, that you could switch now to MIF, for 6-8th grade but they have a very different scope and sequence and it depends where you live, how bright your dd is, and what your schools expect. Using MIF would mean she doesn't start Algebra till 9th grade. Here where I live that would be one year behind. THe really bright students actually do Algebra 1 in 7th grade. 8th grade is for all students. 9th grade would be a year behind.

But, since Common Core, many districts are preferring a slower approach to higher maths and encouraging putting Algebra 1 back to 9th grade. So, check out what the schools in your state are doing...

BUT MIF would definitely be a fresh approach and looks so great...if you are willing to spread pre-algebra over 3 years.

Thank you! This is good to know since my plan is for Algebra 1 in 8th grade because I believe she will be ready.

• Like 1

Hi Juliegmom,

Well it's really hard to tell because we are only on day two...  :o)  But my dd really likes the format.  She likes the videos, she likes the syllabus, she likes the independence, she liked scanning and sending her homework in and she's very excited about graded tests.  Even though the vidoes can be a little slow moving, the pace is ok, and it's 1000000% better for her than having to read pages of text.  So...I really see this working as a long term solution (like until she graduates...)  We have the Dolciani book in case I want to look up any concepts if she gets stuck and we also have her brother to help next year with Algebra 1, 2, etc....

So...I can't see it not working. Usually once my dd decides she likes something, she never wants to switch.  :o)

• Like 2

I would not switch to MUS unless you really plan to stick with it through high school especially since MUS has a different scope and sequence.

If she really hates horizons that much and you want something just for 6tj grade it may be better to just get a regular old Holt or McGraw Hill 6th grade textbook, which you'd be more likely to find at a used bookstore or Book Depository or even Abe's books ....though it would be helpful to look at it.

There's also BJU which has a slower scope and sequence. But you could probably get by with just using 6th grade for a nice Chamge and then research what you want from pre algebra to high school. (Although BJU is slower than horizons so you may need to check if 6th grade is the last math before their pre algebra.)

• Like 1

I wouldn't give up on the idea of Math Mammoth just because there may be some things she's seen before. If she gets to something she doesn't need to spend more time on, have her do a problem to show she has it down, and move on to the next thing. The explanations in Math Mammoth are good. We tried Horizons 6 briefly over Summer and found the lack of explanations to be a real problem here as well. As Calming Tea said, a MUS switch wouldn't make a lot of switch at this point, unless there was a reason she was needing that specific approach.

It's nice to hear from someone who has used Horizons and Mammoth. I'm still considering Mammoth and appreciate your feedback! :-)

I had my daughter take the mid year exam from Horizons. She scored 93 on a comprehensive and lengthy test. I don't normally worry about these things at her age, but wanted some more info to really gage where she's at. My hubby wants us to stick with Horizons. I talked with my daughter and think it's more of a confidence issue. She is a perfectionist and is learning that it is ok to not always automatically know the answer. Sometimes it requires perseverance and working it out.

• Like 2

Since Horizon's is spiral, you will see a lot of topics in 6th that you saw in 5th. I would not give up on anything for 6th grade based on it having material you saw in 5th grade. We used Horizon's through preAlgebra. I did not like preAlgebra with Horizon's. It felt it jumped around too much and lacked explanation. And I am a competent math teacher. There just was not a logical progression in topics I felt. Others like it, I did not. That is my personal opinion. I cannot suggest a different program. We dumped the pre algebra half way through and went to Forester's Algebra. My next child is using Singapore Math and I taught with Singapore Math previously in a private school setting. Singapore Math makes more sense to me.

• Like 1

My oldest, language-oriented daughter and I experienced these same frustrations last year (4th Grade) with Horizons Math 4. We made the switch to CLE Sunrise Math (402 through 410 last year, 502 through 510 this year), and it has been a wonderful change.

I wish we had known about CLE sooner. My daughter enjoys math now (mostly), the conceptual explanations are clear and directed to the student, and the student gains a regular sense of accomplishment because the texts are divided into nine or ten separate workbooks. All three of my girls are working in CLE Math now.

Highly recommended!

https://www.clp.org/store/browse/31_curriculum

Edited by Sahamamama
  • Like 3

We use Math Mammoth and I wasn't thrilled about the Common Core alignment either BUT I read the author's explanation and all of my unwarranted hesitations disappeared!  We switched from Saxon because the spiraling was too much for us.  We aren't up to MM 6 but it's working very nicely for us!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Update:

It's the middle of summer and our math woes continue. We successful start up with Mammoth was brief and the way it explained problems drove by husband crazy, especially in the geometry unit which we decided not to finish. So we started our 5th grade year with Horizons, finished the first book and part of the second, then switched to the second half of Mammoth which we completed except for t geometry chapter. Comparing these two programs I think that we would have been better off sticking with Horizons. I think the layout of Mammoth amplified her feelings of defeat when it comes to math. So . . . I just ordered CLE math for 6th grade and we'll see how it goes. I think it will give more detailed instruction and the spiral layout is similar to Horizons which I think is working for her. I'm not too concerned about CLE not being in color. She's at an age where not everything needs to be colorful and fun. We will take the summer to go back to complete the second book of Horizons and work on weak areas. If CLE isn't a better fit then I imagine we will go back to Horizons. I was/am hoping that we can cover Algebra in 8th grade, but she may need to slower pace. We'll see!  :001_unsure:

• Like 4

My daughter started getting frustrated w/ Horizons last year in 3rd, we finished the year but I knew we couldn't continue on it in 4th there were just too many tears. Long story short I bought CLE, MUS Delta and already had Horizons 4.

I had decided on MUS but was discouraged when I started really reading through it the first 1/2-2/3rds would have been review. A friend had suggested Saxon before, which I had long since ruled out. But then again I'm pretty sure that is what I used and loved in school and my daughter is a mini-me (completely unlike my son whom it would never work for). Anyway, she looked at all of them and she liked Saxon the most, followed by CLE. Saxon (at least at the 5/4 level) actually has fewer problems than Horizons or CLE, which shocked me due to its reputation.

Following a suggestion on here I found an online PDF and printed out the Saxon problem pages so she doesn't have to write them out, honestly there is more room on there than Horizons has in spots- there is also a lot of margin space and graph paper if needed. I don't see a need for her to write everything out just yet. I will be teaching the lesson to her, I had thought about going to CLE which is has the instruction in the text but decided although she likes to be independent she needs me for this and will be much more open to me teaching her when I'm supposed to. Despite being very reluctant to try it at first I *think* it will be a good fit, time will tell. Heaven help me I hope we are not going to be flip-flopping math. I ended up in a similar boat with my son after he finished Right Start D we could not find anything that fit just right on its own. 

Wishing you luck, may we all have a good year!

Edited by soror
  • Like 1

My daughter started getting frustrated w/ Horizons last year in 3rd, we finished the year but I knew we couldn't continue on it in 4th there were just too many tears. Long story short I bought CLE, MUS Delta and already had Horizons 4.

I had decided on MUS but was discouraged when I started really reading through it the first 1/2-2/3rds would have been review. A friend had suggested Saxon before, which I had long since ruled out. But then again I'm pretty sure that is what I used and loved in school and my daughter is a mini-me (completely unlike my son whom it would never work for). Anyway, she looked at all of them and she liked Saxon the most, followed by CLE. Saxon (at least at the 5/4 level) actually has fewer problems than Horizons or CLE, which shocked me due to its reputation.

Following a suggestion on here I found an online PDF and printed out the Saxon problem pages so she doesn't have to write them out, honestly there is more room on there than Horizons has in spots- there is also a lot of margin space and graph paper if needed. I don't see a need for her to write everything out just yet. I will be teaching the lesson to her, I had thought about going to CLE which is has the instruction in the text but decided although she likes to be independent she needs me for this and will be much more open to me teaching her when I'm supposed to. Despite being very reluctant to try it at first I *think* it will be a good fit, time will tell. Heaven help me I hope we are not going to be flip-flopping math. I ended up in a similar boat with my son after he finished Right Start D we could not find anything that fit just right on its own. 

Wishing you luck, may we all have a good year!

Can you tell me where you got the online PDF of the Saxon pages from? My DD loves Horizons and is doing well with it. I wanted to switch her to Saxon for fourth grade math and she did okay with it but I could tell she really wanted to go back to Horizons because of the workbook format. She just isn't ready to write the problems out yet either. I plan on switching her to Saxon eventually and me being able to print out the pages would be a tremendous help.

Susie

• Like 1

Can you tell me where you got the online PDF of the Saxon pages from? My DD loves Horizons and is doing well with it. I wanted to switch her to Saxon for fourth grade math and she did okay with it but I could tell she really wanted to go back to Horizons because of the workbook format. She just isn't ready to write the problems out yet either. I plan on switching her to Saxon eventually and me being able to print out the pages would be a tremendous help.

Susie

I just googled Saxon 5/4 pdf and you can find it several places, HTH. There is a way to change sizes too but I printed it out and compared it to Horizons and found it is similar enough in size I didn't worry about changing it. She, unlike my son, can write without issue so if she has to copy some I'm ok with that.

Susie

Another option is to go with Saxon Course 1, 2, 3 and use their adaptation workbook. That's one option I'm considering. Lots of space with that.

Edited by Tiramisu

Horizon's did have a definite lack of explanations in the books. 

Even though MM might cover something your daughter already had, when you switch programs, you will always run in to something you already covered, and that you are missing something they already covered. You just accept that. I do not think it will be bad to re-cover that topic. If MM is the style she likes, then go for it. How do you feel about AoPs? It is not a style I like, but, lots of people here like it and it is not lacking in instruction for sure. She could probably go straight to the pre-algebra. They have a placement test on their website.

• 11 months later...

Update:

It's the middle of summer and our math woes continue. We successful start up with Mammoth was brief and the way it explained problems drove by husband crazy, especially in the geometry unit which we decided not to finish. So we started our 5th grade year with Horizons, finished the first book and part of the second, then switched to the second half of Mammoth which we completed except for t geometry chapter. Comparing these two programs I think that we would have been better off sticking with Horizons. I think the layout of Mammoth amplified her feelings of defeat when it comes to math. So . . . I just ordered CLE math for 6th grade and we'll see how it goes. I think it will give more detailed instruction and the spiral layout is similar to Horizons which I think is working for her. I'm not too concerned about CLE not being in color. She's at an age where not everything needs to be colorful and fun. We will take the summer to go back to complete the second book of Horizons and work on weak areas. If CLE isn't a better fit then I imagine we will go back to Horizons. I was/am hoping that we can cover Algebra in 8th grade, but she may need to slower pace. We'll see!  :001_unsure:

I'd love to hear a current update after you gave CLE a shot...if you're still around these parts. :)

• Like 1

We had a great year with CLE. We used it successfully all year for 6th grade. It was the right choice and a great fit!

We just started Lial's prealgebra and I was a little reluctant to switch. I usually don't like to switch when something is working well. The reasons we switched were because CLE stretches out prealgebra over two years and I wanted my daughter to become familiar with the layout of a more traditional textbook. I chose Lial's after reading several reviews about how it provides several examples and step by step instructions.I think my daughter is ready for Lial's and doesn't need to spend two years covering prealgebra. However, if I find that we chose unwisely I won't hesitate to slow down and jump back in to CLE.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
On 6/17/2017 at 8:22 AM, Juliegmom said:

We had a great year with CLE. We used it successfully all year for 6th grade. It was the right choice and a great fit!

We just started Lial's prealgebra and I was a little reluctant to switch. I usually don't like to switch when something is working well. The reasons we switched were because CLE stretches out prealgebra over two years and I wanted my daughter to become familiar with the layout of a more traditional textbook. I chose Lial's after reading several reviews about how it provides several examples and step by step instructions.I think my daughter is ready for Lial's and doesn't need to spend two years covering prealgebra. However, if I find that we chose unwisely I won't hesitate to slow down and jump back in to CLE.