Menu

Kindergarten plans!!

Peaceful Isle

Alright, I am DONE! Final Selections:

Math & language arts daily, other subjects (art, music, science, poetry, logic)

Math: RightStart A, Miquon Orange

Language Arts: LOE Foundations

Art: Elements of Art Unit Study

Music: Instrument Families Unit Study

Science: Nature Study, Curious Kids Science

Poetry: Poetry Tea Unit Study

Logic: Printables & Games

Edited by Expat_Mama_Shelli

.. Updated, as we start the year right after their birthday :)

Math: Addition with manipulatives (mommy led), dot to dots, etc... will do R&S later or possibly hold off until he is 6

Phonics: Dancing Bear (Volume B to be finished in a month or two, then DB C).  Once done, will move into CLE Reading 1.

Handwriting: I'm just teaching him to write his letters Getty Dubay style

Catechism:  Image of God PreK (repeat using Workbook A this time so that his little brother and he can be grouped)

Science: Using Kingfisher First Encyclopedia of Animals as a spine, other books as we find them.  Our first experience notebooking.

History: Beautiful Feet Early American Primary... toned down a bit though.  Too much talking for a child this age with some of the lessons!

Thanks,

LMC

Edited by LMCme

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow, I must be in the minority. We did only phonics reading lessons, a few workbooks and lots of reading material during the K year. :ohmy:

That's what my daughter will get, my son has just loved all things school since toddlerhood.
  • Like 2

Updated!

For DD4 who turns 5 in October.

Reading - Phonics Pathways, McGuffey readers, the MP's Storytime Treasures list

Writing/Spelling - Spalding, copywork sentences from readers

Math - Math Mammoth 1, Life of Fred Butterflies, Cats, and Dogs

Beginning Geography

Lollipop Logic

Tagalong with DS6 with SOTW2, BFSU, and Fine Arts Fridays

Wow...I haven't posted on this board in ages, but I'm back.  With an upcoming 7th grader (how'd that happen) and my 4th coming home for K, I've decided I need to focus on school and this board helps me do that.  Updating my signature was a hoot!  So in the interest of focus, here's what I have planned for next year:

This is my last time through K.  I've done it pretty much the same way the last 3 times and am not messing with a sure thing.  I LOVE teaching Kinder!

Reading: SWR with SL Readers (part of Readers K/1)

Writing: Cursive First

Math: Finish SM Essential, Start SM1, Miquon Orange

Bible/Literature: SL P4/5...last time  sniff, sniff.  I LOVE this curriculum!

Science: SL P4/5 plus listening in to big brother's science

Art: AP The Way They See It

Extra Curriculars: Soccer

After years of following this forum and thinking about homeschooling, we're pretty sure we're going to take the plunge for my sons kinder year (He'll be six in November)! He's currently in a play based pre-kindergarten program which spends about 30 minutes a day on academics using kindergarten math and language arts materials.

Language Arts: OPGTR (we'll review the lessons that he's mastered at school, and then continue on) adding in Spelling Workout A and FLL after we get to lesson 80 or so. We may add WWE half way through the year but we may wait until next year.

Math: Singapore 1a (slowly)

Handwriting: HWT

Science/History: We're going to start with the prehistory unit from BYL, using the usborne encyclopedia and library books. Once we finish prehistory we'll slowly add in SOTW1 if he's interested. We'll watch a lot of science TV and get library books based on his interests.

Logic: Start with mind benders and go from there.

Art:arts and crafts from pinterest focusing on some of our library books.

Music: We may start piano lessons with a neighbor, but until then just listen to music of all kinds.

I'll join in although I'm still in the early stages of planning since I start my year in Sep. My youngest just turned 5. Usually I do late start K but she's very interested so I'm planning a full year for her and we'll see how her interest leads us. I'll start listing what I'm looking at now although some of this we're already starting and may actually be further in by Sep. :) 

Core -

Reading: Alpha Phonics; Progressive Phonics

Math: MEP Reception and Yr 1; Gattegno Textbook One

Supplemental:

Cursive through Alpha Phonics

Graded Poetry Reader (mom read aloud)

lit list from AO

BFSU Vol I and MSNucleus 

family Spanish

WE Form Drawing 

Follow along with siblings in history, art, fine arts appreciation, and other subjects as interested. 

I will have a young K4 and a K5 this year. 

DD4 

- Right Start Math A 
- Letters/ Sounds/ Rhyming words 
- Barchowsky Beginner Handwriting

DS5
- Right Start Math B 

- Phonics Pathways (possibly Explode the Code)
- Barchowsky Handwriting

My big dilemma is balancing school consistency with flexibility.  (Or maybe I should be more positive and say the GOAL is balancing consistency with flexibility!) Not sure we need a lot of academic discipline for kindergarten, but this is probably the time to start establishing some kind of consistent expectations for daily school work.  

• Like 1

I will have a young K4 and a K5 this year. My big dilemma is balancing school consistency with flexibility.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. At this age, school ought to be fun & engaging so you don't have to do too much convincing 😉

Our only rule is no screen time btwn breakfast & lessons complete. If he chooses to play all day & not do school - no problem! If he wants to get his lessons done all at once so he can "veg" & watch a movie, that's fine too! Usually it's something in-between: a lesson after breakfast, some free play, lunch, another lesson, then screen time.

• Like 2

I wouldn't worry too much about it. At this age, school ought to be fun & engaging so you don't have to do too much convincing 😉

Our only rule is no screen time btwn breakfast & lessons complete. If he chooses to play all day & not do school - no problem! If he wants to get his lessons done all at once so he can "veg" & watch a movie, that's fine too! Usually it's something in-between: a lesson after breakfast, some free play, lunch, another lesson, then screen time.

This is basically what I do with my Pre-Ker when he isn't at preschool on Fridays.  He can either do school or play, but no screens during school time.  Often, he'll choose to play with legos for 3 hours.  I'm thrilled with that.  Next year, he'll be required to do his lessons, but K at our house only takes 1.5 hrs.   

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'll have an 11th grader and a kinder this year. Our plan:

Math: MEP 1

Phonics: Spanish - I do my own program. She practices handwriting as she learns her letters.

Lots of read alouds from Sonlight 3/4, 4/5, and my own collections (English and Spanish)

Everything else is frosting. Lots of games and toys including some from Timberdoodle, cuisenaire rods, puzzles, making play dough, and whatever. Science is child-directed. She's currently learning about the human body. I may give her some drawing and/or piano lessons. She wants to learn German. There will be field trips and a lot of outside play.

The only sure thing is reading aloud, some math, and some Spanish phonics. Oh, and outside. Lots and lots and lots of time outside for my active one! In fact, I should start thinking about setting up an outdoor classroom...

• Like 2

This will be our first year homeschooling, so this is a tentative plan. We'll mainly be trying to figure out which methods work best for us.

Reading: The Reading Lesson, Progressive Phonics

Math: MUS

Science: Experiments once a week or so, interest-led

Geography: Beginning Geography & GEOpuzzles

Plus: lots of read alouds, weekly trips to the library, logic games, Lego simple machines

That's what we're starting with. We'll see how it goes from there.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

Here's our plan. Some materials aren't my first choice, but they were loaned to me by our charter school, which is why there are 2-3 curriculum choices per subject. I am planning on doing no more than 2 worksheets a day with a lot of hands on learning opportunities.

Reading: The Reading Lesson, BOB Books, and Easy Readers from the Library (The Charter gave me Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lesson...but we are not in love with it.)

Spelling: AAS (from our Charter, but I don't know if we'll use it until first grade.) I'm mostly planning on teaching her to spell words as she asks for them...this is kindergarten after all!

Math: Pick and choose activities from MEP 1 and Saxon 1 (From the Charter) Planning to start with Singapore 1 in first grade.

History: MOH 1 with big brother and selections from History Odyssey Ancients 1 (from the Charter.) Library books.

Science: Apologia Zoology 1 with big brother and Let's Read and Find Out and Magic School Bus Science books from the library

Handwriting: HWOT

Lots of Art and Crafts

We are brand new to homeschooling. We are trying to keep it simple at first.

The plan is:

All About Reading

Happy Handwriting

Singapore Math Essentials

McRuffy Science

Reading lots of books

So this has all pretty much changed.

Now we are doing:

Alpha Phonics

Happy Handwriting

Math Lessons for a Living Education

Some freebie calendar thing I found online

Kumon mazes, etc

Dr DooRiddles

Bede's History of Me

Random science and art projects

Read lots of books

So, for next year, I have finally decided :)

I scored a Calvert k set on eBay, so we are excited to use that for our basic main curriculum.

I will add in some extras though.

We will be using time4learning as a way for him to learn, but also be occupied so I can teach my older kids as well.

We will also add in Ivy kids, and maybe kiwi crate or History unboxed.

He will be playing soccer for PE

I can't believe my baby will be 5 soon. :'(

Okay, changing up a few things

Math- math u see primer

Phonics and reading- Calvert k

Science- real science 4 kids k

History- my world and some readers

Supplementing with - mothergoose time , abc mouse, reading eggs, and Ivy kids

Activities - soccer in the fall, tball in the spring

Edited by Peacefulisle

• 4 weeks later...

My Dd turns 5 in October. We are considering this fall our K-ish year. How things turn out this year will determine whether next fall is 1st grade or K 2.0. In addition I am having baby #3 in August to we have elected to start slow and ramp up half way through. 

We are starting with:

100 EZ Lessons

A Year of Playing Skillfully

Beginning Thinking Skills (a bit below her level but she loves them and calls them her brain games)

In January I plan on Adding:

Right Start 2A

Reading Lessons Through Literature 

Handwriting Lessons Through Literature

We also participate in a local Homeschool Coop that my daughter loves. it is strictly fun enrichment at this age. Registration hasn't started for the fall so I don't know what she will be doing (Last spring she did art, number games, and legos). 

I plan to start Kindergarten in June. (Oldest will be 5 in Aug but we school year round so why not start early).

Math: Saxon Math K

Reading: All About Reading Level 1

Science: Big Book of Play and Find Out, and Kiwi Crate (Koala Crate for 3-yr-old)

Music (Appreciation): My First Classical Music Book

Music (Piano lesson): Can't decide if I should start this early? Taught lessons to grade school kids while I was in college but they could all read. Not quite sure how to teach a pre-reader. Anyone out there have some opinions on this?

Art: Meet the Masters

Writing: Jot it Down - Brave Writer

My sister in law has taught many children to play pioan...including Me! Years ago! It's her opinion that waiting till the child is about 2nd grade age and can read is best unless you gave a very gifted child. Anything they learn by starting earlier will quickly be learned later. The later starter will catch up with the early starter. The only reason to early start is for the child's own enjoyment and if it doesn't cost a lot.

I plan to start Kindergarten in June. (Oldest will be 5 in Aug but we school year round so why not start early).

Math: Saxon Math K

Reading: All About Reading Level 1

Science: Big Book of Play and Find Out, and Kiwi Crate (Koala Crate for 3-yr-old)

Music (Appreciation): My First Classical Music Book

Music (Piano lesson): Can't decide if I should start this early? Taught lessons to grade school kids while I was in college but they could all read. Not quite sure how to teach a pre-reader. Anyone out there have some opinions on this?

Art: Meet the Masters

Writing: Jot it Down - Brave Writer

Instructors who believe in the Suzuki method (not just using Suzuki books/CDs in their teaching) theorize that children can learn music the way they learn language, and the younger you introduce it, the more part of them it becomes. BUT, a true Suzuki method instructor will teach a very young child to play by ear, not by sight reading (at least not at first). I think early childhood music ed really depends on the instruction method. When I worked in a Suzuki school years ago, all instructors would teach a 5 year old on any instrument as long as the child could actually manipulate the instrument (upright bass could be tricky even in 1/4 size) and some would teach 2-3 year olds. It's worth looking into if you're really interested in fostering music skill and interest, just being aware that forcing it on a kid who balks might backfire. You can look for Suzuki instructors in your area here: https://suzukiassociation.org/find-a-suzuki-teacher/

Just be diligent with screening because a lot of teachers really do just get the training they need to be certified but might not be gung-ho (or knowledgeable/experienced enough) to teach young kids.

Edit to add you'll want an instructor who specializes in early childhood ed, so search by that criteria rather than by instrument.

Edited by BonnieLK

I'll have an 11th grader and a kinder this year. Our plan:

Math: MEP 1

Phonics: Spanish - I do my own program. She practices handwriting as she learns her letters.

Lots of read alouds from Sonlight 3/4, 4/5, and my own collections (English and Spanish)

Everything else is frosting. Lots of games and toys including some from Timberdoodle, cuisenaire rods, puzzles, making play dough, and whatever. Science is child-directed. She's currently learning about the human body. I may give her some drawing and/or piano lessons. She wants to learn German. There will be field trips and a lot of outside play.

The only sure thing is reading aloud, some math, and some Spanish phonics. Oh, and outside. Lots and lots and lots of time outside for my active one! In fact, I should start thinking about setting up an outdoor classroom...

Slight change:

Math: Still using MEP 1, but will probably only do a couple days a week and do Shiller Math the other days. I did Shiller with older dd, and feel it would be a good fit for the younger as well.

Phonics: English in the mornings, Spanish in the afternoons if possible. Will be using My Father's World for English, which also includes handwriting (when practicing letters), Bible, and some science.

Read alouds still from Sonlight and personal English/Spanish collection

Science: still delight-directed, right now directed toward the science kit from Timberdoodle. And the garden outside.

Lots of outside. Lots and lots and lots and lots and... I really should set up an outdoor classroom.

She'll do dance during the school year. We've been at this dance studio since dd16 was 7 years old. She wants to do the jazz/tap class. So extracurriculars are:

Fall - dance, gymnastics

Spring - dance, soccer

Lots of play time.

Math: Right Start 2B (about 20 lessons left of 2A to get through)

Reading/LA: Explode the Code 2 + Bob Books (Set 5 at the moment)

Science: BFSU

Writing: HWOT 2nd book

misc review from What Your Kindergartner Should Know and new stuff from What Your First Grader Should Know.

We've been doing everything minus BFSU for a while now and it ends up at around 45 minutes to an hour of instructional time per day 3-5 days per week.  

Edited by joshblade