Menu

2016 Newbery and Caldecott winners!

Tanaqui

So, for the Newbery, we've got Last Stop on Market Street as the winner. I didn't even know picture books could win!

And for honors books we have The War That Saved My Life, Roller Girl, and Echo.

For the Caldecott, we've got Finding Winnie: The True Story of the World's Most Famous Bear as the winner.

The list of honors books for this year comprises: Trombone Shorty, Voice of Freedom: Fannie Lou Hamer, Spirit of the Civil Rights Movement, Waiting, and... Last Stop on Market Street. I might have to take a trip to the library for that one, see what all the fuss is about! Otherwise, we don't read many picture books now that the girls are both in their double digits.

So - anybody surprised? Disappointed? Vindicated? Thrilled? Wondering why it took me a week to post this? (Laziness, mostly.)

I may not have read Market Street, but I have read The War That Saved My Life and Roller Girl, and I have to say, I think those two books firmly deserved to be recognized. Good job there, Newbery committee!

• Like 5

It's been quite the conversation over the last week in several of library groups- especially about Last Stop winning the Newbery. Not too common, but not too unusual either, although it's been a while.

A Visit to William Blake's Inn won the Newbery in 1982 and was also a Caldecott Honor.

One of the Frog and Toad books was also a Newbery Honor, as was Docto DeSoto.

ETA: Autocorrect doesn't like "inn!"

Edited by Zuzu822
  • Like 1

Apparently, The War That Saved My Life also got a Schneider award (for disabled characters. There are way more awards than I ever realized). So you should *definitely* get around to reading it soon!

I know this, btw, because I was perusing the author's blog looking for this post on her experience with PTSD. I had thought Ada seemed particularly realistic in that aspect, and now I know the reason why.

Edited by Tanaqui

Apparently, The War That Saved My Life also got a Schneider award. So you should *definitely* get around to reading it soon!

I hadn't read that one either, but I read the little sample on Amazon, and was totally hooked! Ordered it on the spot.

Edited by Zuzu822

The only complaint I have against it is the mother is really monstrous. She's almost like a caricature of abusive parenting rather than simply being abusive. She'd be right at home in the Dursley's guest room, she's that bad.

I haven't handed it over to my nine year old yet for that reason. I don't really heavily censor or preview everything he reads, but this is making me hesitate a bit... Maybe we'll read it together, or at least start it that way.

My boys are between 3 and 9 so we still do lots of picture books. For the last several years we have read 70+ picture books that have a shot at the Caldecott. We didn't do so well this year. We all loved Finding Winnie and think it deserves the win. I loved Last Stop on Market Street. I am shocked it got the Newberry. We also liked Waiting. My kids loved the book Float and were sad it didn't get a mention. We didn't do too well this year because we didn't even read the other two honors. The last couple of years we had read all the winners (except the one that was geared for 12+).

I was surprised Circus Mirandus did not win even an honor for Newberry. I need to read the other Newberry honor books.

I haven't handed it over to my nine year old yet for that reason. I don't really heavily censor or preview everything he reads, but this is making me hesitate a bit... Maybe we'll read it together, or at least start it that way.

I still haven't given it to my 9yr old either. I don't censor but he is pretty sensitive so I want to read it before I recommend it to him. Maybe I will try to read it this week.

His sensitivity makes it hard for us to read a bunch of books that have a chance at the Newberry, so we still focus on the Caldecott. I am hoping next year he will be ready to read more Newberry type books.

Edited by lovinmyboys

I'm flummoxed, honestly. I have read The Last Stop on Market Street. It's lovely. It's GREAT that it's about a city and has such a great diverse cast that's diverse in different ways. It's exactly the sort of book I would have loved to have (and even spent time looking for) when my kids were younger - a book that reflects the city and that reflects diversity - my kids my by little white boys, but I always have wanted - especially in the picture book stage - more books that look like our neighborhood - diverse.

But... but... a Newbery for this book? I haven't been reading the bloggy commentary and I probably should so I can go see what everyone thinks, but this book is simpler and shorter than the previous easiest Newbery - that Frog and Toad book that won ages ago. This is genuinely weirder to me than the year Hugo Cabret won the Caldecott.

Thrilled for the other books. The Winnie book is so cute. Echo and War That Saved My Life well deserved it. Less so Rollergirl, but whatever, it's fine, glad graphic novels continue to get their due. Glad Gone Crazy got the Coretta Scott King award. Tried to read Bone Gap and really couldn't get into it. 

I feel like I sounded very negative about Last Stop... I just keep thinking about it since last week and it still seems odd to me. However, it *is* a beautiful little book full of details. It's great. And I'm very glad they awarded so many books by non-white authors or featuring more diverse characters. It was like a megaphone from the #weneeddiversebooks people right into the ears of the committee, which I sort of love.

• Like 1