Menu

BJU....how does this curriculum rate academically?...advanced, on level, behind?....

lottie j.y6s4ly

I am using their 6th grade math program. I will say that compared to the public school text my son was using, it is behind. I had to buy it unseen when I pulled my son out and was quite disappointed in it. The public school text which is Holt is at least one year advanced to it. We went ahead and used it but we have skipped about half the book.

Anyone I know who has used their materials has been very complimentary and appreciative of them (including non-Christians). I don't know how they rate academically compared to any particular, non-named xyz type of curriculum. I believe their work is all pretty rigorous. I have been impressed by everything of theirs I've looked at and would have used them for high school science if we had continued hsing high school. We did use them for Spanish I last year and the programming was very good. I've looked at their music appreciation and art appreciation hs level materials and liked those, as well.

Regena

Quite a few accredited christian schools use BJU so I would think they would have to be on target with their scope and sequence. Just guessing here - but that would make sense to me. I know 2 public school teachers who now homeschool and have chosen BJU science because of the academic excellence of that program. HTH

We used math and LA in the lower grades.Math for grades k-5,LA for 3-5.It seemed like the math my dd learned was comparable to what her peers were learning in ps.She scored in the 90's on her LA scores when I tested her using a standardized test.Speaking from a strictly academic pov,I'd feel very comfortable using this curriculum.

I have only dealt with the newest versions but I would definately say it's on-par, with upper level sciences being at LEAST what public school is doing, probably more.

Remember too when comparing math that they anticipate a "split" in 7th grade where by their own description over 1/2 of students will skip Fundamentals of Math and go straight from 6th to pre-algebra.

Heather