Menu

Help me. (math issues with 10yr old)

Amy loves Bud

Here's the story. DS10 has always been quick with math. We have used MUS from the beginning, and he has done very well and I've been pleased with his grasp of the why of math above and beyond the mechanics. Until now. We are into fractions, which he is handling fine in and of themselves. It's the application of other skills (namely division) to the fractions that is the problem.

Plus, I'm a math person. I get it. But maybe I don't explain it so well. Enter::banghead:

There is more to it than grasping math, as his head is in a cloud a big portion of our school time. Delusions of grandeur I would imagine, but I can't be sure. And I"m working on that.

Even so, I think we need to go back and shore some things up in math. So, do I:

Go back and reveiw MUS up to where we are, with a lot of word problems to emphasize application, or

Use the Singapore Texts I got off the free table at our used book sale to go over the same topics in a different way, or,

Something that my addled brain hasn't come up with yet?

He's on Lesson 11 in MUS Epsilon and just turned 10 last month. So we've got time. I'm not worried about spending a while reviewing and applying. I just want to figure out the best way to do it.

Thanks for your help!

We're doing a combo of MUS Epsilon w/ Life of Fred Fractions & it's great so far. Dd really enjoys the Life of Fred book.

I think the two programs together make a great combo.

ETA: If you order a LoF book, order directly from the author. He ships free (!) & it was super-fast. I ordered late on a Sat. night. We had it in our hands by lunchtime Monday. I still can't figure that one out, lol.