Menu

People, I'm going to gush about the art instruction at The Virtual Instructor

• 1 month later...

Thanks to this post, my boys just completed a 4-week drawing unit using about a dozen videos (beginner level) from the "Secrets of Drawing" course.  It was a good program and worth the $20 I paid for the subscription. I didn't download anything but did print out the "books" (really stills from the video with commentary) for the boys to create a textbook. Mostly the boys sketched the concepts as introduced, but I did make them do a few full-fledged drawings. It was a little advanced for my 10-year-old non-visual artist (he liked the 'Secret City" YouTube videos we used last year better) but was perfect for my 13-year-old.  I have cancelled after one month because we are moving on. 

Here is some of my older son's work (he learned in a later video to use a papertowel to prevent smears, lol):

xLh876H3RTG9N7BCHm4q_a%20art%20james%202user%2Fu2720767%2FeQAnRkd0QyCpQPEBHT7S_a

Edited by J&JMom
  • Like 9

:drool5: Wow! I've never heard of this before! Will definitely consider for both of my dc and possibly a co-op with my little sister. It looks so wonderful and independent. I do not need to be weighed down by another subject. Will most definitely consider this for the fall.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm so glad this was reposted.  My daughter is obsessed with painting.  She learns from The Art Sherpa videos on youtube.  

My questions: 

I see videos for this artist on youtube...am I right in assuming that the many videos he has for free on youtube are just little snippets of what he offers at his site with the membership??

I definitely want to get the $97 subscription.  Does it expire after a year??

Here are just two of the many acrylic paintings my daughter has painted recently.  At my office, I have the tree in a frame.  It's our November "Painting of the Month".  I switch them out monthly.  My coworkers love her paintings.  

BTW, she will be posting them on her blog soon.  

post-16172-0-37497600-1510199953_thumb.jpg

post-16172-0-74828200-1510199978_thumb.jpg

post-16172-0-37497600-1510199953_thumb.jpg

post-16172-0-74828200-1510199978_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It has always been scheduled every day. What I am doing now (after yet another change in how I schedule everything) is giving each kid a daily checklist, and they can work on whatever hobby they wish when they complete it. The faster they finish their assigned work, the longer they have for their fun stuff. DD is all about art, so that is what she does and why she is much further along than either of my boys. I also bought a subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud for her which has been a huge hit. Sometimes she chooses traditional art, sometimes digital, sometimes crafts, sometimes sewing—whatever she is in the mood for.

What is Adobe Creative Cloud?

http://www.adobe.com/creativecloud.html

You get access to every single one of Adobe's programs. There is an intro student rate of $20/month that goes up to $30/month after a year. It has been so worth it here. She has been learning the ins and outs of professional level programs as she has pursued her interests. The things she can do now are just amazing.

• Like 1