Menu

Seizures

anneinco

Rambling while I wait for a call back, maybe someone has insight...

I think my MIL just had a seizure. Waiting for a call back from the neurology office, guessing they are at lunch. Front desk put the message through as urgent.

She has been on seizure meds for years. Story is they weren't sure if she was having seizures or strokes or what, so I am guessing the medication was a precaution. She moved in with us 18 mos ago and we started working with a neurologist here who said there was disagreement in her file between her previous primary and the neurologist. A month ago she had a EEG which showed no seizure activity so he thought it would be ok to start weaning off the meds. Yesterday was the first day completely off, which is one reason I suspect a seizure.

Thankfully she was sitting down but I heard her call out and when I went in she wasn't sure what was going on. (We have speech and confusion too which makes it difficult). She had a blank expression on her face like she could not see and said she couldn't move her hand when whatever happened, happened. She also showed her hands shaking to show what was going on. Said it really scared her.

I'm concerned of it happening while she is moving from one place in the other in the house so we have asked that we are with her at all times when she is standing/walking until we find out what is going on.

I guess I should look up stroke symptoms and read up on that while I wait. She walked out for lunch and is acting as normal as she normally does right now. She did want to lay down, but that is normal for lots of cat naps, and that was 1/2 hr after the episode. She went back to reading the paper.

From experience with seizures (but not to discount the possibility of stroke):

-was the hand shaking rhythmic? If it's a rhythmic jerking, I would suspect tonic-clonic seizure--a partial seizure can affect just one arm, one leg, one side, can travel from one part of body to another.

-blank expression--loss of consciousness? Eyes dilated? Also typical of a seizure.

-needing to nap after seizure very typical here.

-Recent weaning off a med would make me think seizure also--it's happened here.

All that said, I understand previous advice to go to ER to rule out or treat stroke--sounds like a reasonable precaution.

• Like 3

From experience with seizures (but not to discount the possibility of stroke):

-was the hand shaking rhythmic? If it's a rhythmic jerking, I would suspect tonic-clonic seizure--a partial seizure can affect just one arm, one leg, one side, can travel from one part of body to another.

-blank expression--loss of consciousness? Eyes dilated? Also typical of a seizure.

-needing to nap after seizure very typical here.

-Recent weaning off a med would make me think seizure also--it's happened here.

All that said, I understand previous advice to go to ER to rule out or treat stroke--sounds like a reasonable precaution.

Thank you for the expansion on what I said, I know what to look further for if it happens again.

After reading up on strokes, I really don't think it was one. Within a couple minutes, she appeared like normal again. No further confusion or weakness of any sort. We are monitoring her closely though and not allowing her to walk alone.

Neurology finally called and said to monitor and if it happens again, she needs to be seen.

Ali is right on.

My dd has epilepsy.   She had her first grand mal at 7 y 10 m.  on 3/15/07.   She became seizure free ON meds Feb. 08.   We weaned and learned right after on an eeg that she had 2 small breakthroughs.  Back on meds from Dec. 2012 to July 2015.  (Now originally she was on 2 meds.  After her first wean she only had to go back on 1 of the 2 meds!).   So we weaned her from her 1 med the last half of last year.  She was completely weaned for 12 days and she had a grand mal (tonic-clonic) the day after Thanksgiving.  Black Friday is now just that kwim? 

She had to go back on her med but it's at a lower dose and she's doing fine.

Yes, rule out stroke, but seizures can be just as serious!!!

Here are some things I've picked up over the years-

Absence seizures (petite mal) is a short staring spell

Tonic-Clonic (grand mal) is jerking of limbs, drooling, incontinence, eyes rolling back.......

Partial seizures is found in 1 location where generalized occurs all over the brain

Extreme tiredness afterwards (well, of course that's understandable - their brain had a hiccup and it was manifested by an attack on the body)

Grand mal - lose conscious

Petite mal - aware of surroundings even though blurry, etc

*  My dd was watching a movie on the 2nd sz.  She does NOT remember and said she fell asleep during that part and that's why she didn't remember it).  The person is confused for a period of time afterward. 

*  VERY IMPORTANT - an eeg is a representation for JUST that period in time.  So, your mil could have had a sz. BEFORE OR AFTER the eeg but NOT during the eeg itself.

Now, eegs are important and they can FLAG but it's not a 100 % fail safe. 

So, you're saying she KNEW at the time of the episode her hands were shaking?

eta:  also, controlling absence seizures is very important.  if not controlled they can transform in to a bigger grand mal

Edited by sheryl
  • Like 3

So, you're saying she KNEW at the time of the episode her hands were shaking?

Thank you for your info too. It's hard to say what she was really aware of due to speech issues, confusion (normal), dementia, etc. (also has a traumatic brain injury). What I picked up is she couldn't move her hand while whatever was going on, my husband interpretation (1/2 hr later when he spoke to her was she said they were shaking and she couldn't move them.

A family member has petite mal seizures, when she has that blank look on her face.  She is aware of what's going on to a point.  Then, she is completely out of it as it continues.  Once it stops, she has no memory of what happened.  

Also, just because an EEG shows no seizure activity, that's not a reason to discontinue the meds.  I mean, you would hope there are no seizures while on meds, right?  A thorough sleep/awake EEG might show a mild hyperactivity in the brain though, which is a reason to continue with meds.

Also, there are mini strokes (TIA's) that can occur, which can present as seizures.

A family member has petite mal seizures, when she has that blank look on her face. She is aware of what's going on to a point. Then, she is completely out of it as it continues. Once it stops, she has no memory of what happened.

Also, just because an EEG shows no seizure activity, that's not a reason to discontinue the meds. I mean, you would hope there are no seizures while on meds, right? A thorough sleep/awake EEG might show a mild hyperactivity in the brain though, which is a reason to continue with meds.

Also, there are mini strokes (TIA's) that can occur, which can present as seizures.

Good point about the EEG especially on meds. I know since there was no evidence just speculation the neurologist wanted to give it a try hopefully going off the seizure meds might bring back some cognitive understanding. It was worth a try but honestly I would rather have her one the meds than have her having seizures and risking a fall.

I'm usually within 20-30 feet of her but not always within eyesight so unless there are signs she has had one or she falls, we might not catch a small seizure. I told my husband that I will treat any fall in the near future as if she had a seizure. We have only had one fall in 18months so it would be likely.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Because I'm a homeschool mom who has a child with seizures - I was on the forum and saw people asking questions and talking about seizures, so I thought I'd share information that I have.  Why do you ask?

She's asking because you are resurrecting threads to provide information to people who dealt with their problem a long time ago. That's generally not considered the done thing.

Sorry - I wasn't looking at dates, I just came across the posts and shared cause I remember when I was looking for answers and would have loved to have had someone respond no matter how far down the line my question had been.  Sorry didn't mean to cause any problem - for future reference, is there a time table 'grandfathered' in to respond to something?  I see they were questions from January - should I not respond after a certain amount of time has passed?  Just so I am aware of how things work here!  Thanks

Edited by passionate for truth
  • Like 1

Sorry - I wasn't looking at dates, I just came across the posts and shared cause I remember when I was looking for answers and would have loved to have had someone respond no matter how far down the line my question had been.  Sorry didn't mean to cause any problem - for future reference, is there a time table 'grandfathered' in to respond to something?  I see they were questions from January - should I not respond after a certain amount of time has passed?  Just so I am aware of how things work here!  Thanks

In the three hours since you joined this forum, you have posted 6 times - all on old threads about seizures. Probably uncoincidentally, you have a website linked that just happens to tout and sell products having to do with the things you are posting about. 

• Like 2

I am sorry that you think I'm here for malicious reasons.  I actually do a lot of research on seizures, and other health issues and have for many years because of my daughter's condition.   When I was researching about schooling and seizures (we have been a homeschool family for many years and I still teach), I came across this forum and some of the posts, which I wanted to respond to for the purpose of helping others with anything that I may have learned.  I was not promoting my website, nor was I trying to sell anything - I was attempting to give some info that I had to someone who had asked a question.  The reason that I do any of what I do is because I've been there and I felt very alone.  The last thing I want is for someone else to be trying to figure things out and me not say anything if I have info that might help them.  I will refrain from commenting again if this has caused problems.  I do, however, wish everyone the best in their quests for answers.

Edited by passionate for truth