Menu

Anyone have a teen volunteering with Habitat for Humanity???

Dh and I have been volunteers before and I don't know the present restrictions, but back then at 16 a volunteer was very limited in what they could do. They could sweep up and paint, but nothing much using tools. I'm sure the restrictions were insurance related.

I just looked and it is 18 to be a construction volunteer, but they do have a youth program now you might want to check out. Here's the link:

Habitat Youth Program

that HFH limits underage workers pretty heavily. My son helps lead an after-school program at a local elementary school........he's a video game junkie too, but this has helped him develop leadership skills as well as parenting and organization skills. they almost always need extra help and young kids look up to teens almost more than adults so you might want to look into that as an option.....

You could have him do the Congessional Award. It is nationally recognized. There are bronze, silver, and gold metals, all depending on the number of hours put in. I don't have a link, but you can do a search. My sil did this with her two boys and credits it with one of her sons getting into Westpoint,as the awards are given out by your local congress member. It is a great alternative to Eagle Scout.