Menu

Veritas Omnibus vs. Cornerstone curriculum

• 6 months later...

Just out of interest, I looked at Cornerstone. I had heard of them but had never looked at their curriculum, except for MMM, which we used early in our homeschooling years. The first thing that jumped out at me with Cornerstone is that there's no math scheduled those years? I see that on the website there is an algebra and calculus course after doing MMM 6.

Besides the math thing, not programs look very rigorous but also have a definite denominational slant depending on who wrote them. If you agree with one or the other's religious views then that's the one I would go with. I know that Omnibus has some plagiarism problems as of this spring and you can read about that on their website somewhere. I was considering Omnibus earlier but after investigating the plagiarism and their religious views I chose not to go with them.

I don't know enough about Cornerstone to comment one way or the other. Looking at the program at first glance it looks good but something seems to be missing, the math and maybe a strong science program? I don't think my boys could jump into this unless they've been using this for several years. If you think your kiddos can jump in and read these books and do what's needed to finish then this maybe a good choice. I loves med again at the website and it states that if you do all 3 years of Worldviews of the Western World, then your student will have 16 credits toward graduation so you will need to add in math and science for sure. Also, it's not world history, it's only Western world history, so keep that in mind.

Just out of interest, I looked at Cornerstone. I had heard of them but had never looked at their curriculum, except for MMM, which we used early in our homeschooling years. The first thing that jumped out at me with Cornerstone is that there's no math scheduled those years? I see that on the website there is an algebra and calculus course after doing MMM 6.

Besides the math thing, not programs look very rigorous but also have a definite denominational slant depending on who wrote them. If you agree with one or the other's religious views then that's the one I would go with. I know that Omnibus has some plagiarism problems as of this spring and you can read about that on their website somewhere. I was considering Omnibus earlier but after investigating the plagiarism and their religious views I chose not to go with them.

I don't know enough about Cornerstone to comment one way or the other. Looking at the program at first glance it looks good but something seems to be missing, the math and maybe a strong science program? I don't think my boys could jump into this unless they've been using this for several years. If you think your kiddos can jump in and read these books and do what's needed to finish then this maybe a good choice. I loves med again at the website and it states that if you do all 3 years of Worldviews of the Western World, then your student will have 16 credits toward graduation so you will need to add in math and science for sure. Also, it's not world history, it's only Western world history, so keep that in mind.

Thanks for the replies, must be another Cornerstone?  It is history/literature course and has different levels beginning with Starting Points by David Quine.  We found that Potters School offers this course there and that is what we decided this school year.  This is the one I was looking at called Starting Points by David Quine and it is only a course that covers history/literature very similar to Omnibus. 

http://www.christianbook.com/starting-points-world-view-primer/david-quine/pd/777101?event=ESRCG

I did decide to go with it I am very excited about the book choice and so we will see how it goes.  :)