Menu

English from the Roots Up

RosieCotton

Ready to go on this -- should we make all our own cards or buy them?

Should we make a binder with a full page for each also? Maybe too much . . .

Some have complained about how thin the cards they sell are, but I'm not sure I want to make a set for each child etc.

Some say you need the TM for the pronunciation. Do I need it?

My oldest loves worksheets and puzzles.

Supplements to this that you have enjoyed????

I'd suggest using some things on teacherspayteachers.com  We were using English from the Roots up and I found some great printables both to help learn the roots as well as worksheets that go along with them.  Just search for Greek and Latin Roots and interactive notebooks (I'd post a link to those I found and like, but I'm not sure if that's okay).  They are interactive notebooks which have been helpful for teaching my children the roots and there are separate worksheets that help the understanding of the vocabulary words that use the roots.  Personally we don't use English from the Roots up anymore, just these resources which are more than enough.  

I also have my kids make their own flashcards using notecards which have held up well and store well.

If you'd prefer using English from the Roots Up, there are plenty of free printables for filling out the meanings, definitions and such.  I've found them easily on pinterest.  

Well, we only do one card a week, but making our own has worked well here. We use 4X6 notecards. I write the root on the front, DC write the definition and a couple of derivatives on the back. I get them (derivatives) from the book and choose whichever ones I think they will find interesting. We review orally weekly. So far this simple method has worked well. Also, the roots are already set up on Quizlet for free if you want an electronic review resource. For me though, this simple method has worked well because as soon as I add in more/extra stuff to anything, it gets dropped. :/ So far, we've all really enjoyed it!

I'd suggest using some things on teacherspayteachers.com  We were using English from the Roots up and I found some great printables both to help learn the roots as well as worksheets that go along with them.  Just search for Greek and Latin Roots and interactive notebooks (I'd post a link to those I found and like, but I'm not sure if that's okay).  They are interactive notebooks which have been helpful for teaching my children the roots and there are separate worksheets that help the understanding of the vocabulary words that use the roots.  Personally we don't use English from the Roots up anymore, just these resources which are more than enough.  

I also have my kids make their own flashcards using notecards which have held up well and store well.

If you'd prefer using English from the Roots Up, there are plenty of free printables for filling out the meanings, definitions and such.  I've found them easily on pinterest.  

Thanks I'll go check that out tonight at TPT.

I found a few workbooks on Amazon that might work, but will have to pull out and piece that together as I go which I don't like to do . . .

We've already memorized the words from Rummy Roots, but I see there are more in Roots Up to learn next.

Well, we only do one card a week, but making our own has worked well here. We use 4X6 notecards. I write the root on the front, DC write the definition and a couple of derivatives on the back. I get them (derivatives) from the book and choose whichever ones I think they will find interesting. We review orally weekly. So far this simple method has worked well. Also, the roots are already set up on Quizlet for free if you want an electronic review resource. For me though, this simple method has worked well because as soon as I add in more/extra stuff to anything, it gets dropped. :/ So far, we've all really enjoyed it!

Good to know thanks.

Oh I was going to set up roots flash cards on my Kindle Fire or on the PC too, so thanks for the reminder. :)

We have a roots word wall section, and we put up 9 on 4 x 6 cards every 2 weeks or so. It was amazing to see how quickly they memorized them all. . . .now we need more!!!

We only had the book, no cards, and made our own cards -- adding words over time as we encountered outside of the program. We used the book more as a fun game -- see my post #4 of "English From the Roots Up" for details of how we did that.

While we did NOT do this, you could make a "Concentration" style game to practice what each root means. Write a root on one index card, and its meaning on another card. Turn all the roots and definitions that you want to practice face down, mix, spread out. Take turns flipping 2 cards over; if they are a match, you keep them and go again. If they don't match, turn them back over and it's the next person's turn.

Or, you can also use the Rummy Roots game, which is a lot like the "Go Fish" card game; it practices Greek and Latin roots, some of which overlap with EftRU.

More ideas:

"We play a decoding game. I hold up the card and read the meaning on the back. Then I read the example words with the other root and they guess the meaning of the word. Example:

Photo- light

Photograph- light+graph-to write

Write with light"

— Desert Strawberry, post #3 in "How do you use English from the Roots Up?"

We did two words per week also.
Monday: New Word. I'd write the word on the board and the meaning. We'd talk about it briefly. I'd also write some English words that came from the root word we were studying. The kids copy the info on a flash card. Then . . . we use some of the words in sentences aloud to one another.
Tuesday: Same word as Monday. This is glossary day. We pull out our index card to review/learn the definition. Then we record the word in our homemade glossary (3-prong folder with 26 a-z pages in it). The kids record the word, the meaning and write a sentence with an English word that comes from the root.
Wednesday: Same as Monday, but new word.
Thursday: Same as Tuesday, but new word.
Friday: Review. After you have several words under your belt you'll be able to do flash card review games. For example, flash the card and have the kids race to say the meaning. The kid who gets it first, earns a point.

— Pylegang, post #7 of "How do you use English from the Roots Up?"

More past threads with ideas:

I bought the flash cards for English from the Roots Up, now what?

How do you use English from the Roots Up

If you have English from the Roots Up
- Cynce's Place -- clickable link for a free downloadable pdf for GAMES you can play with EftRu, as well as a free schedule, notebooking pages, and flashcards for EftRU
Shelby Family Academy -- word search puzzles of the roots for fun review at their new website: TTKreations

Enjoy! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2