Menu

What do you call the circles on the stovetop that you cook on?

Pegasus

NC--grew up calling them eyes (electric stove, never had a gas one or a flat cooktop), but I might more commonly call them burners now (my husband's family is from upstate NY). I think my daughter (who has also grown up in the same area of NC) says burners.

Yes, elements are in the oven. If referring to a replacement part for the eye, I'd probably say coil.

Edited by KarenNC

As someone who was raised using the term eyes (hubby too), I'll admit I never knew there were folks that hadn't ever heard that term, much less so many folks.

When we replace the actual part of the eye that produces heat, we replace the element, but we don't cook on the element.  We cook on the large/small eye.

• Like 2

Burners. I've only ever had electric. I tend to call them "eyes" if I am referring to the part itself as in cleaning. "The dish under the eye of the stove has a lot of charcoal in it."  But if i am using the term in everyday life, it's burners. I grew up in the mid-Atlantic and now live in the south. 

Burners regardless of whether they are gas or electric. I've never heard them called eyes, though I have heard elements. I only use the term elements if one isn't working. Then I might say something like "The right front element is burned out.". I grew up with gas but once we moved to Florida (I was 13 but already had been cooking for several years) we only had electric. Most people I know call them burners even if electric is all they've ever had.

Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 1

I would make this a poll but I'd also like to know where you grew up.  DD and I have been discussing the various terms we've heard  and speculating on the regional differences.

Also, do you call them different terms if it is an electric versus gas?

Thanks!

Burners. Pacific Northwest with a stint in California.

I wish I had a gas stove!

I answered then read the other answers. Eyes! That is a new one. Never heard it in my life or if I did I had no idea what they were talking about. Coils is more specific and refers specifically to the electric coil part that connects to the electricity source. Like you can get pasta water in the burner but you just have to wash out the pan, not the coil.

• Like 1

Creekland, I think she was referencing the common idiom. Or were you being facetious?

I have to say, I agree with her. It just sounds so painful! I don't know if I could disassociate the phrase from my own physical eye :)

Pure humor on my part.

I'm still overseeing state testing (rooms, not students), so I'm bored and my mind needs to play... ;)