Menu

Do you tell your student's online teachers about LDs?

The title pretty much says it all, but I am wondering what information I need to give our teachers. Do you give them the accommodations portion of the report? Just mention it to the teacher? 

We are talking about a kid with low processing speed, poor working memory and classic signs of dyslexia (which is one of the diagnoses), although performance is at grade level/average range (with the exception of spelling and math fact fluency), just lower than expected give IQ.

Thanks

• Like 1

I've told my son's online teachers.

I've told the writing teachers just so that they know and might be able to help him better.

I've told his AP teachers since he actually needed accommodations in their classes. For his AP classes, he's not writing out all the daily work - sometimes does it orally, sometimes writes in his own notation. The teachers accept my word it is done. We make him write out free response questions as he needs that work. He also has extended time (by college board for AP tests) so on their tests I give extended time. In all cases I've communicated with the teacher and offered to give paperwork, but noone has ever wanted to see any paperwork - they have been happy to accommodate.

The main lesson I learned with one class this year, is that "I" am the primary teacher and I am using the class as a tool to help my son learn. My opinion of how to approach the class has changed since I decided I am in charge and should tweak to provide the best learning experience for my son. I know he needs to learn to deal with whatever circumstances for college, but ultimately right now I want him to learn the material how he learns.

Edited by Julie of KY
  • Like 3

DD is currently attending an online school, and you betcha we told them the issues. They are working on an IEP now.

Slow processing speed and poor working memory have meant that it takes DD 3-5x as long to do an assignment as the online school expects. She fell behind very quickly and even if we hadn't tried to tell them beforehand (we actually tried to get them to place her a grade back; they wouldn't because the school we pulled her from passed her the year before). If a class is self-paced, it might not be as much of an issue, but if it's very text-dependent, it might well.

I think the teachers can do a better job teaching it they understand the student better.

More importantly, I think you are doing a disservice to your child if you don't figure out how to get them to accept their differences and then accept accommodations so that they can learn more effectively. By not giving your child the accommodations, you are undermining their ability to learn. I also think it causes worse self-esteem problems to hide the fact from others.

• Like 1

Only if it affects the teacher. Not everything will affect a teacher when it is online. If the teacher does not need to alter anything, no point. And I have found that teachers can suddenly see things different once there is knowledge of a weakness from a student. So, when they previously would have given an A, the teacher might suddenly see a lot of faults and the child gets a C on the same paper.

So, when they previously would have given an A, the teacher might suddenly see a lot of faults and the child gets a C on the same paper.

We have definitely NEVER experienced this. Not only have we not experienced it, but I think we have probably benefitted by being given "the benefit of the doubt" and treated more generously. I can't be sure those teachers weren't equally generous to everyone, but having a teacher know that my child had a disability NEVER hurt him.

Thanks all for your thoughts. I have told my child's current teachers, but just wondered if I needed to provide other information. 

For the record, the teachers have been very grateful for the knowledge. It helped them understand why the kid they were seeing in class wasn't quite matching the kid they were seeing on tests. 

My dd just finished her first outside online class and she has LDs. I choose not to say anything to the teacher because I provided the accommodations she needed at home to support her in the class and used it as a learning experience for her of where she needs to be as she progresses (taking good notes, making flashcards and asking others to help quiz her on her flashcards after she has gone as far as she can on her own). I just didn't think it was necessary to tell the teacher. She didn't need any accommodations that the online teacher would have been able to provide. (like different tests, extra time, etc.)

But in the future, depending upon the class and depending how much I want to be involved, we may alert the teacher. My hope is that my dd and I can continue to figure out ways that she can work within the parameters of classes (and life), and as a last resort ask for accommodations if needed. (Fully realizing that she will change, life will change and we may end up with a completely different approach as time goes on....we will flex!) 

• Like 1

Late in the conversation, but in general, I'd let the teacher know. I teach online too, and sometimes parents let me know, and sometimes not. 

I'll add as well that as the parent of a student with some challenges, it is good to monitor how you student is doing and even to occasionally touch base with the teach if that's appropriate. I have a student now with an LD with a parent that is a little more involved than most (he's 14-15), but that's fine. She's letting him manage the deadlines, but she periodically messages me to get my perspective. I rarely hear from the parents of other students in that age range. This is the second year that I've taught him, and we both know how to work this. That approach isn't what every student needs, but I'm very willing to do what is needed to see it through. He also has a face-to-face tutor that I coordinate with. None of the other students know about this, and he's been successful in my classes.