Menu

Roll Tide anyone?

lynn

The University of Alabama is the Crimson Tide, I'm the wrong person to ask how or why that is the "mascot". The physical manifestation is Big Al the elephant. Again, not sure how that works.

So when we say ROLL TIDE!!! We are encouraging the Crimson Tide to roll on through and destroy the other team, Or drown the Tigers.

According to my dad, one of his professors invented/worked on Tide detergent, and it it named after the Crimson tide.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!!

Aaaaah. I'm not a football person, not s college sports person, and I couldn't have told you which university was located in auburn as the OP alluded to. Thus, I was lost. I've not heard that chant thingy before, but it all makes significantly more sense with context :lol:

Thanks!

I live in Alabama. My husband is a HUGE Alabama fan. He will utter that phrase for you. I was born in Mississippi & I'm a HUGE Mississippi State fan. I refuse to say "Ro-- T-d-." :lol:

Come on, you can do it...We are gonna be ringing our cowbells, just because:-). We bleed maroon too, but we are also SEC fans. So tonight.... It's Roll Tide!

Edited by lispy
  • Like 1

Aaaaah. I'm not a football person, not s college sports person, and I couldn't have told you which university was located in auburn as the OP alluded to. Thus, I was lost. I've not heard that chant thingy before, but it all makes significantly more sense with context :lol:

Thanks!

University of Alabama is in Tuscaloosa AL   mascot Big Al the elephant 

University of Auburn is in Auburn AL   mascot Aubie the Tiger 

Roll Tide definitely refers to Alabama, not Auburn.

My family is from AL and divided as to who they root for. 

• Like 1

University of Alabama is in Tuscaloosa AL mascot Big Al the elephant

University of Auburn is in Auburn AL mascot Aubie the Tiger

Roll Tide definitely refers to Alabama, not Auburn.

My family is from AL and divided as to who they root for.

..... Yeeeeah. The world of sports fans mystifies me. I'm related to a bunch of them and still never *got* it.

Our neighbor's daughter from our last move is in the Bama Band.

We lived in Montgomery for a year and met many fans, including our neighbors who were a mixed marriage...Auburn and Alabama. He coached high school football so took the whole football thing very seriously.

I am rooting for Bama but not actually watching the game, my husband and son are away watching, my daughter and I are enjoying some quiet girl time.

Edited by ElizabethB

University of Auburn is in Auburn AL mascot Aubie the Tiger

As a graduate of the University I have to pick a bit. It is Auburn University in Auburn.

As someone who still considers Alabama home despite my current location I can set aside other loyalty to say Roll Tide.

As a graduate of the University I have to pick a bit. It is Auburn University in Auburn.

As someone who still considers Alabama home despite my current location I can set aside other loyalty to say Roll Tide.

Yes!That is what looked funny in my post! I couldn't figure out what what was off. But also wasn't able to concentrate to well. Dss & dh were arguing loudly. Goofing off joking not mad kind.

Congrads to Alabama and I am thrilled with how Clemson played. I would have loved to see the outcome the other way, and it was a really good game. Both teams really played hard and gave it all they had.

Clemson did a great job! I thought the way they kept playing until the very end of the game was awesome.

• Like 1

Eldest dd is at UA, and although we've never previously been a sporting events/teams household, we root for Alabama! 

Roll tide!!

p.s. Did y'all know that the big $$$ Alabama's football brings in to the university is used to fund huge scholarships, improve the entire university, etc? It's really amazing what the university is doing for the entire community and their state by wisely investing that $$!

• Like 3

ROLL TIDE!  We aren't football fans but my oldest is at UA and one can't help being sucked into ROLL TIDE.  it is the greeting LOL!   I worked last night so watched bits in various rooms with patients who were watching.   Everyone was pulling for Clemson so I was the lone UA and I think made it fun for the patients last night.  I had a few ask me to wake them up near the end if it was close and they fell asleep so they could see the end.  I did and went room to room with a few patients as it finished. We had a fun night joking over football as most Gamecock fans rooted for Clemson.  

• Like 1

Thanks!

Don't feel bad. My dad went to Auburn before transferring to Duke, and I've never heard of it either. I'm quite certain he hasn't either. :)

Wishing that I had the option to have cheered "WAR EAGLE!" but happy that the SEC won! I'm kinda exhausted today from the late bedtime (who could sleep after all of that excitement). I thought that the game was one of the best that I've ever seen! LOVE NCAA football and so sad that it's over...