Menu

Joey and Rory Feek

AlmiraGulch

Does anyone know about this couple?

I don't follow country music at all, so I had no idea who they were until they started documenting every minute of Joey's battle with terminal cancer.  Now, every time it seems every time I channel surf or muck around on the internet I see story after story about what are, unfortunately, her last days.

The whole thing seems so intrusive to me.  I know it's their choice to do this, but it seems as if the entire media has been on Death Watch for several months now.  I always feel like I should avert my eyes when I see yet another story.

What do you think?

• Like 1

I think they're very sweet and she has been public with the whole battle. I don't click on most of the story links but given how frightened people are of physical decline and death I think they're trying to show that life doesn't cease having meaning or even joy just because it's slipping away.

They were in several commercials a few years ago.  They are a very lovely couple and she is really doing a lot so her daughter knows her and remembers her.  I think the little girl is almost 2 years old.  She is really trying to live her life to the fullest she can and show her daughter and her step daughters to always do that.  

• Like 3

They are good friends of many of our friends, and are neighbors with some friends of ours (in fact, the proceeds from their next album are being given to a medical research charity in honor of our friends' child. So, I see their story pop up frequently everyday in my news feed because of that. I would not have known who they were otherwise.

I don't have anything against them.  People can share their own story, or not, in whatever way they like.

The coverage, though, is so bizarre to me.  Honestly, it's like every media outlet is sitting around waiting for her to die.  So distasteful, in my opinion.

Did you find the story about Brittany Maynard (her name brings up over 1.2 million hits, btw) bizarre, too?  It seemed like people ate up that story and were waiting for her to die, as well, but she was seen as a hero of sorts so maybe it's less bizarre to some for that reason.  Although she put herself out there at least as much as this woman. 

They have a lot of fans. I don't see it as a death watch but some are invested in how she is doing. I think the fans were hoping for a miracle but that doesn't seem to be happening. I think they are handling it all very well and just keeping fans up to date here and there. Maybe their getting a bit more coverage since they had a song nominated for a Grammy?

Edited by Joker
  • Like 1

Did you find the story about Brittany Maynard (her name brings up over 1.2 million hits, btw) bizarre, too?  It seemed like people ate up that story and were waiting for her to die, as well, but she was seen as a hero of sorts so maybe it's less bizarre to some for that reason.  Although she put herself out there at least as much as this woman. 

I saw that as something a bit different.  She put herself out there specifically for the purpose of calling attention to one having the ability to choose to die with dignity in certain circumstances.

The coverage seemed not so much to be waiting for her to die, but to be reporting on her appearances and lobbying efforts and the "cause" at large.  

They have a lot of fans. I don't see it as a death watch but some are invested in how she is doing. I think the fans were hoping for a miracle but that doesn't seem to be happening. I think they are handling it all very well and just keeping fans up to date here and there. Maybe their getting a bit more coverage since they had a song nominated for a Grammy?

Maybe this is it, and I just haven't been seeing it from that angle because I'd never heard of them.