Menu

U.S. Dept. of Commerce education survey

Miss Mousie

Has anyone received a letter requesting voluntary participation in an education survey?  Have you participated, or would you participate if asked?

I'm not generally one to be paranoid about such things, and I can envision some benefit to all homeschoolers if our true numbers and needs were known.  However, I must admit that it is making me a little itchy....

Thoughts?

The return address is:

U.S. Dept. of Commerce

Economics and Statistics Administration

U.S. Census Bureau

The opening paragraph of the letter says:

... This is a U.S. Department of Education survey administered by the U.S. Census Bureau....

At the bottom of the letter is a box labeled "Authorization and Confidentiality of Information."  The first part says:

The National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), within the U.S. Department of Education, is authorized to conduct this study by the Education Sciences Reform Act of 2002.  The U.S. Census Bureau is administering this survey on behalf of NCES.

So, it looks to me like NCES is requesting the information, but is using the Census Bureau's mad survey skillz to collect the information.

But can't it get that by asking the Dept of Education?

(Oh wait. The Department of Redundancy Department must be at work again. )

LOL!

I think that Mousie is right--this is the statistics bureau working with the department of ed.

I participated in a voluntary survey sponsored by a university group late last year. It was about early childhood education (ages 1-8ish?) - covering child care, preschool, and elementary schools. 

Not-so-coincidentally, our state then started some sort of pilot program for early childhood education intervention. 

But I got a kick out of saying how confident I was in the 'teacher' (supervisor?) of my young'uns daytime hours. Yep, doing a great job. :-)

• Like 2