Menu

Decisions, Decisions

1Togo

Dd was accepted to all target schools, and at this point, they are all about the same in terms of expense. She has an audition and two scholarship competitions still to go but is trying to think through her options. First of all, she is a musician and actor. She plays violin but has moved into vocal this year and has an exquisite voice. However, she also loves writing and history and languages and... She has many interests and hasn't decided on a major but will probably double major. So the three unis look like this:

Small, private Christian university with excellent performing arts. Many, many ensembles and lots of stage time. The rest of of the departments are good not great.

Small, Jesuit college with great ranking. 90% med school acceptance and feeder school for law school, graduate schools, etc.  The college has theater but no music, so her only music option would be to continue private lessons and work with local groups.. She would go here for the liberal arts education. Already placed in their honors program and will be competing for full-ride later this month.

Large, state uni with med school. Not top ranked but has well-respected music dept. with strong vocal profs; i.e. former Met, etc. Strong business and engineering as well. Waiting to hear if she has made the cut for an honors scholarship competition. Music audition will be in February.

She loves, loves, loves theater and voice but knows career options are limited. She also wants to develop her writing and loves literature.

Thank you!!

Edited by 1Togo
  • Like 2

Yes, she knows what she would like to be; i.e. a performer. However, the odds are against that, so she has to have a back up plan and double major. When she realized that she would never play in an orchestra, everything changed for her. She switched to theater which has been more rewarding. I wish she wanted to be something more...straightforward?easier?surer?

Well my first thought would be the first one you list, because if you really want to go into theater, having the voice experience too would be so great!

That said, my son was in a similar situation, but at some point he became more realistic and began focusing more on the "back-up plan." Then he kind of wished he was at a different school.  (He is actually still pursuing both careers at the same time.  We'll see which one wins out in the end.  :))

Another thing -- the first year or two is getting a lot of generals out of the way.  If by the end of the second year she really wants to focus more on her backup plan/second major, she could always transfer.

• Like 1

J-rap,

And that is exactly why the Jesuit, liberal arts college is such a strong contender. In the end, the back up plan will probably be the career, and she doesn't want to regret her college choice and miss out on a great opportunity. Dd is not at the tippy top in terms of academics and is definitely a late bloomer. I think a liberal arts education would be perfect for her. I just wish they had music. We're going to meet soon with the priest who heads the theater dept.

• Like 1