Menu

summer geometry

Any suggestions if I wanted to get a geometry credit in over the summer?  This is for ds who will have had Alg 1 and Alg 2. Competent but not confident and not a math fan.  We don't need heavy or advanced geometry.  Basically I am looking for enough to be a legitimate math credit and prepare for ACT. (By prepare for ACT I mean a score in the mid to high twenties for math- not looking for a 30+ score on math).  So, a course that teaches the basics but doesn't need to be in depth or extraordinarily challenging.  

Any suggestions?  Not sure of any provider that offers a summer geometry but an outside course would be good.  

Well, EdX has an Introductory Geometry course that is really good.  It's self paced, with 16 weeks worth of material (I think?) but it could definitely be compacted.   The teaching is excellent and it covers all the basics.  You get a certificate of completion at the end.  My issue with using it stand-alone as a math credit, or for test prep, is that I don't think it offers enough practice to really cement the concepts.  But the teaching is excellent.  Maybe you could have him do the EdX course paired with Khan Academy (Geometry mastery) which would provide extra practice?  I don't know if that would work, but maybe.

Just so's you know where I'm coming from: My dd and I completed the EdX course last spring, she was in 7th. I considered it "Pre-Geometry" or the geometry part of PreAlgebra, or whatever.  In 9th grade she will be doing geometry officially, and we picked Geometry: A Fresh Approach as her text. I'm going to have her go back through the Geometry lessons from the EdX class (they are all available on the schoolyourself.org website) at the beginning of each chapter for review/refreshing/teaching.  The teaching lessons are that good. It just needs more practice to be a complete course, IMO.

• Like 2

I have a family member that used a weak geometry program and then went on and to 780 on the math SAT. I think it was o the computer, the one by Alpha Omega. Switched on School House is what it was called. But, I know she had to sit with her child and go over every lesson. But she did get it done in a month. In their case, the child was headed back to public school and they wanted to get that done before returning. They did it through a private school distance learning program. 

Edited to add: I asked the mom and she apparently used really strong math for algebra and algebra 2. and on. Just not the geometry. And apparently, she sat with her kids a lot during the geometry and taught the lessons. 

Edited by Janeway

Well, EdX has an Introductory Geometry course that is really good.  It's self paced, with 16 weeks worth of material (I think?) but it could definitely be compacted.   The teaching is excellent and it covers all the basics.  You get a certificate of completion at the end.  My issue with using it stand-alone as a math credit, or for test prep, is that I don't think it offers enough practice to really cement the concepts.  But the teaching is excellent.  Maybe you could have him do the EdX course paired with Khan Academy (Geometry mastery) which would provide extra practice?  I don't know if that would work, but maybe.

Just so's you know where I'm coming from: My dd and I completed the EdX course last spring, she was in 7th. I considered it "Pre-Geometry" or the geometry part of PreAlgebra, or whatever.  In 9th grade she will be doing geometry officially, and we picked Geometry: A Fresh Approach as her text. I'm going to have her go back through the Geometry lessons from the EdX class (they are all available on the schoolyourself.org website) at the beginning of each chapter for review/refreshing/teaching.  The teaching lessons are that good. It just needs more practice to be a complete course, IMO.

"Course Reviews

Mirza I  2 months ago rates this course 5 / 5 stars

+ Clearly and succinctly explained interactive lectures. Very innovative teaching methods. + Emphasis on completing exercises (doing) + Plenty of help if you get stuck on a exercise + Proofs offered (optional) + Highly recommend the course. Similar in form to Khan Academy, but more interactive and better executed

"

Looks like more than then Geometry from Prealgebra but less than a full course.

What you'll learn

How to measure angles, and rules for determining when angles are congruent

How to prove and apply properties of triangles, quadrilaterals, and other polygons

How to calculate the areas of polygons, circles, ellipses, and other complex shapes

How to prove and apply the Pythagorean theorem

How line segments and angles in circles are related

How to calculate the volumes and surface areas of three-dimensional solids

• Like 1

New York State Common Core Regents HS Geometry  topic weighting
Congruence (G-CO)                                                           27%-34%
Similarity, Right Triangles, and Trigonometry (G-SRT)      29%-37%
Circles (G-C)                                                                         2%-8%
Expressing Geometric Properties with Equations (GGPE)  12%-18%
Geometric Measurement and Dimensions (G-GMD)            2%-8%
Modeling with Geometry (G-GMD)                                        8%-15%

this would not be a "lite" course.