Menu

What's with the ads?

Iron Jenny Flint

Ice-pick Headaches/Migraine Help for 7 yr old dd

Today my dd7 was diagnosed by the pediatric neurologist with ice-pick headaches. He said it was in the migraine family - myself, my father and my sister all have a history of migraines. Although mine and my sister's migraines didn't start until middle school. For right now he wants to approach it with lifestyle changes, specifically diet. Ironically, she is my healthy eater but there is room for improvement for sure. He gave me a list of foods to avoid, especially cutting out nitrates and msg. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas or suggestions on other things I could be doing to help her? My sister suggested having her lie down for some quiet time daily each afternoon, in a dark room and also doing some yoga. I thought those were good ideas and worth trying. But I also wanted to reach out here and see if anyone else has any kids or themselves that have ice-pick headaches and could share what has helped them? She has a follow up appointment in 6 weeks. Also, I would truly appreciate any prayers and/or good thoughts you could send her way.

TIA,

J-

Update: The ice pick headaches have been increasing in frequency over the past week. The neurologist wants to go ahead and proceed with an mri. She is scheduled to have one tomorrow. If anyone reading this would...please say a prayer for her.

Thanks Again,

J-

Edited by Iron Jenny Flint

I've been getting really horrible headaches recently.  I go to the neuro next month.

:grouphug: for you and your dd.

Since you already suffer from migraines, these may be things that you may already be doing:

wearing sunglasses for light sensitivity

a sleep mask

sometimes (like last night) an ice pack helps; conversely hot showers also seem to sometimes help

Prayers for you and your dd

• Like 1

Keep her well hydrated and on a regular schedule with sleep. Magnesium and B2 supplements were recommended for my son with pediatric migraines. I take both of these, too.

Triggers are different for different people. Avoid flashing lights. Weather changes can trigger migraines for me. I am also sensitive to some foods. Everyone's food triggers will be different.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 3

Thank you Junie and TexasMama,

I will get her a sleep mask that can be put in freezer and have her use it when she is resting in the afternoon. I will also get her some magnesium and B2 supplements. I will start a food/headache diary and try to see if I can figure out her food triggers.

Thank you both again for your good suggestions.

Junie, prayers and good luck to you on your neuro appt. I hope you begin to get relief from your headaches soon as well.

Since my migraines are only once every 4 to 6 months, I take something and sleep it off. My dd has been having these head pains almost daily for the past two months. We have been to the pediatrician twice and to a pediatric opthamologist as well. The head pain happens different times of day and different parts of her head. There has been no rhyme or reason to them...they last a few seconds and then they are gone. Or I at least haven't figured out the pattern or cause of them yet. I don't give her ibuprofen for them because they last only seconds and then they are gone and she is back to playing and totally fine. I feel helpless not knowing what to do for her to make them stop.

Not much advise here, but lots of prayers! I occasionally get migraines and it's no fun. Sorry she's dealing with those at such a young age :(

• Like 1

My dd has migraines.  For her, hydration and magnesium have been key.  There also appears to be a hormonal aspect, though your daughter might be a bit young for that.  Getting adequate rest has also been important. 

• Like 1

I started getting mine when I was 8. 

Get a notebook and keep note of triggers. We worked out quite quickly for me that it was light sensitivity and being out in the sun with the sun directly on my head (I was a soccer goalie and I had to start wearing a hat).

For me an ice pack on my neck tends to help. Also when taking painkillers combine it with caffeine. 

• Like 1

One of my kids had migraines a few times a week starting at age 9 and our pediatric neuro put him on Depakote as a preventative - ended up with just one migraine a month.  Why won't your doctor do that for your child, daily migraines must make her miserable and affect her quality of life.  DS also was given a prescription to have Zomig handy to stop a breakthrough migraine in its tracks. And, yes, we worked on his diets, avoiding triggers, too.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

I wonder if you couldn't find anything helpful in Dr. Robert Morse's book.

I've only started reading it, but I love the way he explains how our body functions, what we do wrong and what we can do to heal.

You find lots of videoclips with him on Youtube.

Wishing you the best from Romania and sending prayers for your little one!

• Like 1

For my son, the top 3 things are regular sleeping (not sleeping regular hours just messes him up so much!!!), hydration, and avoiding screens. 

We already avoid the additives etc for the most part, so I think it's hard for me to say whether that makes a difference for him....he doesn't eat gluten and I mostly feed the children unprocessed foods, etc.  

• Like 1

For my daughter, it seems to be yellow # 5, bright lights when she hasn't slept much, and smoke that trigger her migraines.

So the triggers can be all over the place.  And you may not be able to control them all even if you do figure them out.

It gets difficult keeping up a rigorous routine of nutrition, sleep, yoga, etc with a kid that young, no matter how severe the headaches are.  It's hard in an adult (don't ask how I know).  I'm only trying to say that you shouldn't kick yourself for not doing it "right" if she's still getting the headaches despite your best efforts.

My daughter's migraines started about that age too.  So it's not unheard of.  And no one was willing to give her any drugs.  She just suffered with them until we figured out the yellow 5 connection.  After that, she went a long time without getting any until she hit puberty.  Now that she's in college it's gotten really hard to keep a regular sleep schedule.  So she just gets them occasionally.  It's rough, but not getting homework turned in because it *might* trigger a migraine is not the best excuse in the world.

• Like 1

Currently, my daughter only has Imitrex to take when she has a migraine.  But the cure is almost worse than the headache.  And she has to take it early on or it does nothing. Which often leaves her in the predicament of thinking a migraine *might* be starting, but maybe not, so should she take the drugs or not?

Are some of the other drugs mentioned here a lot easier to handle?  The Imitrex seems to knock her out for the day. 

• Like 1

My 12 yo has migraine. We have found the no nitrates/no msg helpful in the long run. For mine not getting too tired or letting her blood sugar get super low is important. Guess who my insomniac meal skipper is ðŸ˜. A relaxation tape helped her too. Mine is a perfectionist worrier. Relaxing her helps.

• Like 1

So, this morning she woke up, went to restroom and then had the ice pick head pain at 7am and then again at 720am, few seconds each. I called the neurologist office at 8a am when they opened. They had said to let them know if she is having headaches after waking up. So, she falls back to sleep around 740am and wakes up after 10am. She wakes up screaming and crying in pain. She said her neck had popped hard when she raised up and hurts bad and she couldn't move. It was awful. I called her pediatrician who advised me to give her ibuprofen and see after it starts working, if she can move. After the ibuprofen starts working she was able to start moving around some. The nurse from the neurologist office calls me back and when I told her what happened she insisted we go to the ER and have her neck x-rayed and tell them about the ice-pick headache diagnosis. I don't know if she thought it was related. But she told me it was better to be safe than sorry and make sure there was no damage when her neck popped. We spent most of the day at the Children's hospital. The Dr said her neck x-rays were fine and advised us just to give her ibuprofen as needed for the pain. He seemed to think she had just slept wrong. I know she had fallen into a deep sleep because she usually never sleeps so late. Since her head had hurt this morning, I was hoping letting her sleep more would help her head. Instead it just turned into another ordeal. I am so frustrated for her that on top of the ice pick headaches she is now dealing with this too. :(

I just want to second the magnesium supplements. Dd11 was getting migraines and her pediatrician suggested magnesium and gave me some essential oil - winter mint, I believe, to dilute with olive oil and spread on her forehead before bed. After the first night of both of these, her headache that she had been battling on and off for two weeks was gone.

• Like 1

:grouphug:  :grouphug: praying for your daughter (and for you).  I know how hard it is to have the migraines, and to be the parent of a migraine-sufferer as well. 

I hope you can find relief and help soon.

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 1

*hugs*

Poor baby. MRIs can be very loud. You should bring some music with headphones. It's probably too late to get the noise-cancelling type, but....

• Like 1

Praying for your girl. I hope the imaging results are reassuring. May your dd gain relief from her horrible headaches soon! I get terrible headaches, so I can totally relate to your poor kiddo. I second the b12 and magnesium advice!

• Like 1

I saw my Neuro today and mentioned my ds10 who gets migraines. She said studies indicate that treating migraines/headaches in children early on prevents them from getting to the non retractable stage. With treatment most kids migraines will go away or dramatically improve. So great job getting her in to a Neuro!

There's quite a few diet changes that CAN bring about a reduction in headaches. Before I'd go to that hassle, I'd keep a food and sleep log, listing any triggers and anything that helped.

I'd also record how long they last, methods tried (ice, dark room, tylenol,etc.) And if methods helped the headache.

Praying!!

• Like 1

MRIs can be very loud. You should bring some music with headphones. It's probably too late to get the noise-cancelling type, but....

So what's the story with this?  When my daughter went in for an mra (which I suspect is very similar to an mri?) the dr told her to bring ipod and headphones.  But the people running the machine said no way was she going to take that stuff in there.

She got through it fine, but I've wondered why there was this difference of opinion.

So what's the story with this?  When my daughter went in for an mra (which I suspect is very similar to an mri?) the dr told her to bring ipod and headphones.  But the people running the machine said no way was she going to take that stuff in there.

She got through it fine, but I've wondered why there was this difference of opinion.

You cannot have metal in an MRI.  The MRI that my dd had came with special headphones that must have been safe. 

I have no idea. We didn't find out until after we got there how noisy MRIs are, so we weren't prepared at all : (

And since she was already having a migraine when she went in (which was why we were there - ten days with a migraine is about seven days too many. Well, it's ten days too many, but it's seven past the point you're supposed to get concerned) so... no. It wasn't fun.

My six year old who gets MRIs is sedated for them, as they usually take a while. I hope your DD has a decent MRI experience. 

Headaches upon waking are a huge problem. Please, if she wakes up with a headache and vomiting, just go to the ER. Period. I'm not sure how long it will take to get her MRI read, but in the interim, don't be shy about heading to the ER if her symptoms worsen.

I get similar migraines, and mine tend to be triggered by dramatic weather changes, aged cheese and wine (that's probably not your DD's trigger!). Please consider starting a journal -- it's better to prevent than treat in the migraine universe. 

• Like 2

Thank you so much for the prayers and good thoughts. She did well. It was at a pediatric imaging center. She was able to watch a movie with special goggles and headphones. They also let me sit in there with her and I could put my hand on her leg/foot so she knew I was there with her the whole time. We are supposed to get results either tomorrow afternoon or Monday. I feel like I will be holding my breath until then.

• Like 3

Hoping for the best results.  

My son with an intractable migraine lasting 9 days was hospitalized and given the DHE protocol treatment (IV meds every 6 hours over 24 hours).  It got rid of his migraine, and that was the last one he had.  That was in October, 2014.  He never had an MRI because he presented with clear symptoms and a family history.  We did everything we could to stop the migraine but were unsuccessful so we went to the ER.

Praying for good results. It sounds like the MRI went great.  Thinking of you!!!!

• Like 1

Glory to God, her mri was normal. The nurse called this morning and I am just so thankful. I am continuing with her diet and avoiding msg and nitrates and keeping a journal of her sleep/food/head pain/pressure. I also made her an appointment next week with a chiropractor that specializes in children and pregnant women. I had saw her when I was pregnant and she did help me. I also bought a few packets of Natural Calm from Whole foods. I hope and pray these things will help reduce and eliminate these ice pick headaches. Thank you again to everyone for your prayers and advice/suggestions.

• Like 3

Glory to God, her mri was normal. The nurse called this morning and I am just so thankful. I am continuing with her diet and avoiding msg and nitrates and keeping a journal of her sleep/food/head pain/pressure. I also made her an appointment next week with a chiropractor that specializes in children and pregnant women. I had saw her when I was pregnant and she did help me. I also bought a few packets of Natural Calm from Whole foods. I hope and pray these things will help reduce and eliminate these ice pick headaches. Thank you again to everyone for your prayers and advice/suggestions.

What great news! Thank you for the update!

One crunchy suggestion that actually does work for me--peppermint and lavender essential oils. It sounds woo woo and silly but it helps me immediately. I learned the trick from a midwife who swore by it. I put about 5 drops of each oil on a swab and then massage it into my temples. It might be useless for other people but it truly helps me.

It's worth trying. Good luck!

• Like 1