Menu

National merit finalist question

I understand that there will be a different cut off score for each state and making the cut off doesn't mean you are a finalist. I'm confused about how a semi finalist becomes a finalist. I know that to become a national merit scholar, you have to jump through a few more hoops, but are there more hoops to jump through to be a finalist?

Edited by creekmom
  • Like 1

I understand that there will be a different cut off score for each state and making the cut off doesn't mean you are a finalist. I'm confused about how a semi finalist becomes a finalist. I know that to become a national merit scholar, you have jump through a few more hoops, but are there more hoops to jump through to be a finalist?

Someone correct me if I am wrong...

the top 1% of the state are semi-finalists, they become finalists after submitting paperwork, letter of rec, and an essay.   I think the move from semi finalist to finalist is work but pretty easy to get.  Top 1% nationally doesnt automatically mean top 1% in your state.  DD is top 1% nationally but she may not fall in our state range.

I understand that there will be a different cut off score for each state and making the cut off doesn't mean you are a finalist. I'm confused about how a semi finalist becomes a finalist. I know that to become a national merit scholar, you have to jump through a few more hoops, but are there more hoops to jump through to be a finalist?

To move from semi-finalist to finalist status you have to do the following:

1. Submit a qualifying SAT score to NM folks.

2. Submit a transcript to NM. (Poor grades will keep a student from advancing)

3. Have someone other than the homeschooling parent validate the education that was received. (I don't know how this worked exactly. My son had a mentor complete this section, and I have no idea what it looked like)

4. The student has to submit an essay

There is nothing else that needs to be done to move from Finalist to National Merit Scholar. My son was a National Merit Scholar, but I don't know the criteria that is used in that selection process.

• Like 3

Thank you - so the actual PSAT score doesn't really make a difference? In other words, someone who barely made the cut off has as good of a chance to be a finalist as someone with a higher score? If all the semi finalists turn in the paperwork, make good grades and submit a good essay, how do they choose?

After reading the info again, it looks like students who do well are "commended", and those who make the cut off for the state are semi finalists. From those semi finalists, most will become finalists as long as they meet the requirements (regardless of how high their score is). Is that correct?

Edited by creekmom

Thank you - so the actual PSAT score doesn't really make a difference? In other words, someone who barely made the cut off has as good of a chance to be a finalist as someone with a higher score? If all the semi finalists turn in the paperwork, make good grades and submit a good essay, how do they choose?

After reading the info again, it looks like students who do well are "commended", and those who make the cut off for the state are semi finalists. From those semi finalists, most will become finalists as long as they meet the requirements (regardless of how high their score is). Is that correct?

Yes, I think the only way to not move on to finalist is to not submit paperwork, have bad teacher recs, drop out of school, etc.  I think they also need to verify their score by receiving a similar score on the actual SAT.  I do believe there is some flexibility in that score.  This ensures that some schools who administer the test aren't altering PSAT exams for certain students since there is so much scholarship money tied with certain Universities.

You are correct.  The top 50,000 PSAT scoring students are recognized.  34,000 are commended with a cutoff around 200-202.  The top 16,000 are semifinalists with a cutoff dependent on their states, from around 200/202 - about 225.

About 15,000 of the 16,000 semifinalists become NM finalists.  From what I have heard the ways to not become a finalist are to get into trouble at school, get "low" grades (probably below an A average), get a bad teacher rec, get "low" SAT scores (before the change I heard below ~2000), or not to turn in the paperwork.

The NM Corp does not publish how NM Scholars are chosen.  Some are chosen by the NM Corp, some by companies, and some by colleges.  My daughter was made a scholar by her college.  They gave her $1000/year for 4 years above and beyond their already generous NM finalist scholarship.  She had to make sure she listed the college as her first choice to the NM Corp, and she had to fill out a short application every year in college to continue the scholarship.

• Like 1

You are correct. The top 50,000 PSAT scoring students are recognized. 34,000 are commended with a cutoff around 200-202. The top 16,000 are semifinalists with a cutoff dependent on their states, from around 200/202 - about 225.

About 15,000 of the 16,000 semifinalists become NM finalists. From what I have heard the ways to not become a finalist are to get into trouble at school, get "low" grades (probably below an A average), get a bad teacher rec, get "low" SAT scores (before the change I heard below ~2000), or not to turn in the paperwork.

The NM Corp does not publish how NM Scholars are chosen. Some are chosen by the NM Corp, some by companies, and some by colleges. My daughter was made a scholar by her college. They gave her $1000/year for 4 years above and beyond their already generous NM finalist scholarship. She had to make sure she listed the college as her first choice to the NM Corp, and she had to fill out a short application every year in college to continue the scholarship.

I think the last part often causes the most confusion. Some people mistakenly believe that only those given scholarships directly from the NM Corp are National Merit Scholars, but as explained above, this is not true. In reality, I don't think there's really much difference between being a finalist and being a scholar. Many students forego National Merit scholarships from universities they are accepted to in order to attend a different school without such scholarships.
  • Like 5

• 3 months later...

It is my understanding that to become eligible for the National Merit Scholarship the student has to take the PSAT/NMQST. The problem I am having is that none of the schools in my area will allow a homeschooler to take the test at their facility. I even contacted a few private schools in neighboring states. Where can I find a school that will allow my child to take the test? 

Yes, your student will need to take a PSAT during the junior year of high school (though I do believe an SAT can be substituted if there is no way to take a PSAT. I would call NMSC and ask about that.) As far as identifying a school, that definitely can be a problem. If all the local schools are refusing, I would suggest contacting someone at the school district and asking for suggestions. They may be helpful in identifying a school.

• 11 months later...

Did you all get a letter recently saying your child was in the running for the NM?  We did but when I looked back at the scores my son missed the VA cutoff for semi-finalist most likely getting a 211.  However, it does make the commended for VA.  I thought you only could be a semi-finalist to finalist if he makes the cut for the state is that correct?  We were so bumbed.... :-(  Still working on those SATs to get above a 1420.  Any suggestions on bumping those scores up just a few points. ?  :-P

Did you all get a letter recently saying your child was in the running for the NM?  We did but when I looked back at the scores my son missed the VA cutoff for semi-finalist most likely getting a 211.  However, it does make the commended for VA.  I thought you only could be a semi-finalist to finalist if he makes the cut for the state is that correct?  We were so bumbed.... :-(  Still working on those SATs to get above a 1420.  Any suggestions on bumping those scores up just a few points. ?  :-P

I think the most recent letter was to principals, with lists of students who are likely to be at commended level or higher.  This gives the principal an opportunity to correct spellings and grade levels, or tell College Board that a student has transferred to another school.

The Semi-Finalist list comes out at the beginning of senior year (last year's letter was at the end of August).  The cut-offs aren't official for each year until then.

For improving scores on the SAT, I am liking the Khan Academy resources.  

One method folks on the board have used is to do each section as a timed test.  Stop the student when the timer goes off.  Draw a line to show how far they got, then have them finish the rest of the questions.  Check each item and review what they got wrong.  Repeat with the next practice section.  

It might also be good to have him do a full practice test in front of you so you can take notes on what he can modify.  As an example, my youngest son does meticulous step by step math problems.  I'm working on getting him to know what steps he can combine or do in his head -- with accuracy-- in a test situation so he gets a little more speed.

• Like 1

Once you make semifinalist::

It's pretty automatic to become finalist as long as you jump through the hoops -- application, essay that isn't rude, SAT score that is comparable as a "confirming score" -- so comparable to slightly less than the lowest state cutoff for PSAT . . . AND . . . 

Kicker is that no grades below a B. Maybe 1 C might be looked past, but rarely are more than 1 C looked past, and sometimes even a single C seems to end the chances. 

The vast majority of semi-finalists become finalists. IIRC, it's like 16,000 semifinalists and 15,000 finalists. 

I have 2 kids so far who've made NMF. HUGE scholarships from U Alabama . . . HUGE HUGE HUGE . . . 

There are great threads on collegeconfidential (Scholarship Forum, National Merit subforum) on NM process, score cutoffs, school choices, etc, etc, etc.

It's VERY worth jumping through the hoops, IMHO. 

Congrats!!

Once you make semifinalist::

It's pretty automatic to become finalist as long as you jump through the hoops -- application, essay that isn't rude, SAT score that is comparable as a "confirming score" -- so comparable to slightly less than the lowest state cutoff for PSAT . . . AND . . . 

Kicker is that no grades below a B. Maybe 1 C might be looked past, but rarely are more than 1 C looked past, and sometimes even a single C seems to end the chances. 

The vast majority of semi-finalists become finalists. IIRC, it's like 16,000 semifinalists and 15,000 finalists. 

I have 2 kids so far who've made NMF. HUGE scholarships from U Alabama . . . HUGE HUGE HUGE . . . 

There are great threads on collegeconfidential (Scholarship Forum, National Merit subforum) on NM process, score cutoffs, school choices, etc, etc, etc.

It's VERY worth jumping through the hoops, IMHO. 

Congrats!!

i agree that it's worth it. For anyone whose students took SAT in middle school and retained scores, remember one hoop is taking SAT again for the confirmation score.

Edited by Gratia271

i agree that it's worth it. For anyone whose students took SAT in middle school and retained scores, remember one hoop is taking SAT again for the confirmation score.

The confirmation score is limited to a date range of about 2 years from something like winter of 10th grade to fall of senior year (google up specifics when you need them, this can vary). My kids took SAT in June of 10th grade as practice for the critical 11th grade October PSAT, and that was within the allowed date range, which was awesome, as we already knew they had their confirmation score by the time their PSAT scores came out.

Is "NMS Commended" worth anything towards other merit scholarships? My DS is on the bubble. If he only gets commended I assume that is still worth putting on College Apps.

I found that my kids seemed light on awards because they had no school based awards. So they did list National Merit Commended and AP Scholar along with things like essay contest honors.

• Like 1

Is "NMS Commended" worth anything towards other merit scholarships?  My DS is on the bubble. If he only gets commended I assume that is still worth putting on College Apps.

So far as I know, Commended isn't worth $$$ in and of itself anywhere, BUT, it does tell you that your kid tests VERY well, and that you should look at schools that offer big $$ for high test scores.

Look here for a good list of automatic full tuition (or better) scholarships . . .

http://automaticfulltuition.yolasite.com 

Bookmark it!