Menu

The Great Courses Plus

I was grousing to dh about only seeing the higher price, and he told me that sometimes companies charge higher prices on Apple browsers (I guess because Apple users are rich??) I had the high price on the mac, iPhone and his iPad. So I opened Internet Explorer on a Windows 10 virtual machine, and when I clicked free trial, it gave me the 14.99/19.99 price, instead of 29.99/49.99. So if you are an Apple family, try a Windows machine.

All I have are Windows...I get the higher price, too.

I was grousing to dh about only seeing the higher price, and he told me that sometimes companies charge higher prices on Apple browsers (I guess because Apple users are rich??)  I had the high price on the mac, iPhone and his iPad.  So I opened Internet Explorer on a Windows 10 virtual machine, and when I clicked free trial, it gave me the 14.99/19.99 price, instead of 29.99/49.99.  So if you are an Apple family, try a Windows machine.

I am going to go try this.... be right back....

There's a comment from the TGC on the "Homeschooling Using TGC"  FB page about the price differences.  Basically they are playing around with "pricing models" and will have some news about the future of pricing later this week or next. :glare:  I will be very disappointed if they charge more than $20-$25 per month.

I think the pricing variation is a cookie phenomena. Other sites do this for added revenue, particularly travel websites and airlines. If you are browsing for travel, try clearing cookies or a new (to you) computer before buying. Tricksy internet vendors!

I'm curious if you just call them and say you want the low price your "friend" got if they will sign you up on that. I'd think they'd have to.

I've been following this on FB and it appears that some do get the discount while others don't, even after calling. If you go to the FB HSing using TGC you'll see a comment from someone that works there....

Here's a direct quote from Kristen (she started the FB group)

The Great Courses rep kindly made a post with information! I am reposting what was said to make sure all see it! "Hi folks. I assure you nothing fishy's been going on -- just some price testing for the new service. No need to write or call or refresh your browsers -- The Great Courses team is working on something for all of you and will share more info here soon (I hope in the coming week). They will share it here for you the moment it's available. Stay tuned."

HTH

Edited by foxbridgeacademy

I'm going to sign up for a free trial, just to see how it does.  Actually, I'm going to have dh sign up for the free trial and see if he can work any magic.  It will only take us a week to know if we can do what we need to do, then we'll cancel and wait until either the price goes down, or we have the cash for the annual subscription.  $50/month is too much for this.

• Like 1

Okay, according to HSing Using TGC FB page here is the link for HSer's to use when signing up with TGCPlus..... Price should be $19.99 per month or $14.99 per month if you purchase a years subscription.  I think it's great that a group of HSing parents were able to bring the issue to the company's attention and that they adjusted their policy and pricing to fit our needs.

Please tell me if there's a problem with the link or you can join the FB group to see the post.

• Like 7

This sounds good but the course selection seems small compared to their normal offerings to buy. Do they plan on putting most of their courses on this site?

They seem to be averaging between 3-10 new courses every couple weeks to month.  They always put the brand new to TGC up then add others in as they get copyright permissions.  I'm sure the slow trickle is intentional, constantly adding value little bit by little bit.  Even at their sale price or buying used on Ebay I could only get  a few courses for the yearly price.... right now, between the kids and I, we are watching 10-15 different courses (lots of jumping around).

• Like 1

This sounds good but the course selection seems small compared to their normal offerings to buy. Do they plan on putting most of their courses on this site?

They seem to be averaging between 3-10 new courses every couple weeks to month.  They always put the brand new to TGC up then add others in as they get copyright permissions.  I'm sure the slow trickle is intentional, constantly adding value little bit by little bit.  Even at their sale price or buying used on Ebay I could only get  a few courses for the yearly price.... right now, between the kids and I, we are watching 10-15 different courses (lots of jumping around).

I've found that it actually opens more options for me.  While I started out wishing for a few other courses, Plus gives us the chance to pick individual lectures from courses I never would have purchased in full, even during big sales.  Battles, Structures, Voyages, Blunders, Culinary History, Inventions, Masterpieces, Writing and Civilization...  It's definitely adding to my planning workload, but I'm excited about incorporating cool and interesting things that go beyond basic outlines. (And there are still basic outline options.)

I am not excited about having paid full price already.  :glare:  But I can say that my bare bones wish list with sale prices and multiple discount codes was already over $500. Silver linings and all.

• Like 1

At $15/month (annual rate) I was willing to consider it (despite it costing twice as much as Netflix), except it looks I can't stream it on our TV unless we buy a Roku. Gah! When my kids are older it might be worth it to buy a Roku just for the sake of TGC (though by then I'd hope they'd support more devices), but currently, not so much.

Okay, according to HSing Using TGC FB page here is the link for HSer's to use when signing up with TGCPlus..... Price should be $19.99 per month or $14.99 per month if you purchase a years subscription.  I think it's great that a group of HSing parents were able to bring the issue to the company's attention and that they adjusted their policy and pricing to fit our needs.

Please tell me if there's a problem with the link or you can join the FB group to see the post.

Thank you for this. By following the link, I was able to finally see where they were offering the service for "as low as $14.99 per month."  I cleared all my cookies and tried the link.  However, once I clicked to the next page using the "Start your FREE trial month" button, it only shows the $29.99 per month annual price or the $49.99 monthly plan.

I also got an email from them a few days ago because I had started to sign up but didn't finish. I replied that I couldn't pay the $50 monthly fee but that I would finish signing up if I could get the $20 monthly fee plan.  I haven't heard back from them.

Also, I'm not finding the Facebook page, what is the exact title?  I've tried "HSing Using TGC" and "Homeschooling Using TGC" "HSing Using The Great Courses" and "Homeschooling Using The Great Courses".

Edited by Pegasus

Okay, according to HSing Using TGC FB page here is the link for HSer's to use when signing up with TGCPlus..... Price should be $19.99 per month or $14.99 per month if you purchase a years subscription. 

I finally got it!  Thank you!!  I used your link and tried on three different devices. Finally worked on my Kindle Fire. ha!   So, if you first do not succeed, keep trying and use as many different devices as you have access to.  

• Like 1

Apple device here. I'm not interested in subscribing, but out of curiousity I clicked on the Great Courses Plus website and have the $49.99/mo rate or $29.99/mo for a year subscription.

I think you have to use the special offer link.  Only it will work.  If it doesn't please go to the FB group Homeschooling using the Great Courses and ask to join the group.  The Special Offer link is there also.  You may need to join on particular devices (my ipad didn't work but my computer did). Once you join you can view from any device that you link to your account (I have apple, kindle, and android devices all work fine).

HTH

if all else fails, call the company and ask what you can do.  

• Like 1

I have to cancel after our one month free-trial.  Our streaming just won't work well enough to make these worth my time (if they would buffer, like the educator.com videos, we could log in, have the lecture buffer, and then watch it without issues).  I *may* subscribe late this summer to purchase what we want (to download) from the 70% off).  Sad I can't make it work.  But, our internet stinks that bad.

Just another thanks to all the posters on this thread.  I've been interested in The Great Courses for a long time  but it has been out of my price range.  We've only been signed up for 2 days and already DD19 is watching two courses (Heroes and Legends, How Great Science Fiction Works), DD16 has started two others (Tai Chi, How to Draw), I'm making my way through one (Big History), and we are watching the Inexplicable Universe together.

• Like 2

Since starting GCP in Jan or February one daughter has completed the intro photography course, another has completed the baking, my aspie son has completed the stress and your brain course, and all three have at least two other courses in progress. This has been hugely valuable to our family. In case you may be on the fence.

• Like 3

Since starting GCP in Jan or February one daughter has completed the intro photography course, another has completed the baking, my aspie son has completed the stress and your brain course, and all three have at least two other courses in progress. This has been hugely valuable to our family. In case you may be on the fence.

If you have a budding photography aficionado on your hands check out the offerings on CreativeLive. The live courses are free to view and they're always replayed. They cover a host of subjects that you may appreciate.

• Like 1

If you have a budding photography aficionado on your hands check out the offerings on CreativeLive. The live courses are free to view and they're always replayed. They cover a host of subjects that you may appreciate.

Thanks for the heads up...I'll be sure to pass it on to her tomorrow!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...