Menu

the free "I See Sam" books really work!!

lacell

Thank you so much to all who recommended these. They are working like a charm for my son who can sound out a word many, many times and not gain recognition of the word. Because he thinks they are so funny, he can tolerate the repetition needed to gain fluency. Here's a link if anyone else wants to try it. There are also higher level books that were written later, but they aren't free:

http://www.marriottmd.com/sam/

• Like 11

Yup! Mine had some points where she stalled out in reading but outright refused to repeat anything, ever. We ended up using 100EZ, ETC and the I See Sam readers in combination to give her enough practice without repetition. The I See Sam readers were definitely a huge help, and funny little stories while offering slow steady practice and progression

• Like 1

I learned to read with these way back in the 1970s. Great books.

I remember that there was a site where you could print them for free.

Me too, then we had Dick and Jane in First Grade, luckily I had enough phonics by then to read well, although I was a poor speller until I started teaching phonics and finally learning the spelling rules. I got 100% on spelling tests all the way through grade school without ever learning to spell well or learning a single rule, we had random lists of spelling words. Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1