Menu

Hot Lava Mama

There is a link to a printable sample on this page.  The sample would be for the 2015-16 school year application cycle.  http://blog.commonapp.org/2014/05/10/sample-paper-common-app/

This will have the information that a student applying needs to provide.  It does not include the supplemental questions for homeschooling.  It also will not have the sections that need to be filled out by a counselor.

I got a lot of mileage out of creating a practice student account.  I designated it as a freshman first time applicant and then said that I was a counselor curious about Common App.  This let me select schools, invite myself as counselor, then go into a counselor account and see what I needed to provide from that end.  It also meant that when my ds couldn't find something in his login, I could dig for it and direct him, without messing up his actual application information.

• Like 1

Also, read through this thread and the linked threads in it.  There was a lot of shared experience and suggestions.

Common App Compilation Thread

FWIW, my understanding is that the CA will reset completely over the summer with a revised application coming online around August 1.  Last year the essay prompts were available sometime in late spring.

Thanks for this.  I will try it this way!

:)

Hot Lava Mama

FWIW, based on watching DS1, what I asked DS2 to do is to create a comprehensive resume. This will then be something that he can use to fill out various applications.

DS1 found that some apps asked for how many years he'd been in various activities, while others asked for which grades he'd done them.  Some asked for an estimate of how many hours per week he put into the activity.  

It would also be a good thing to start a running list of people who might provide letters of recommendation.