Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gil

What is the opposite of your family culture/philosophy?

Wow. I'm not active military but was a military wife and we do fish and have raised animals for meat. We aren't Christian. So I guess we could switch, LOL.

More proof that we are an extremely diverse group here! 

I  :001_wub: the Hive.

I think my dh and I are already polar opposites in 2 areas! ;)  So, I'd end up partnered with an Energizer Bunny who likes to plan and eat veggies, like myself, and we'd both have our days filled with stuff and never see each other. Or dh would end up with a very relaxed, go-with-the-flow, Oreo cookie lover, and they'd be off doing spontaneous things together. I'm not too sure what would happen with the homeschooling.  :lol:

The opposite of both of us would be someone with no sense of humour who loved to make money by cheating.  :laugh:

Opposite of us?  Parents who view earning money not just as a necessity but a priority, obsessed with prepping the kids for Harvard, utra-liberal politically, harboring a not-so-secret crush on government programs, with at least one parent working for an organization like Planned Parenthood.

I'd add to this they would be neat freaks who love watching sport and are public school zealots.

I think we're pretty middle of the road on most issues, so I don't think it is easy to find our opposite. The people on that show are polar. We just aren't. Our political, educational, discipline, cleanliness, animal, and financial attitudes are all moderate. They just wouldn't take us, we're too hard to offend and not very offensive to others.  :lol:

DH says we are too boring to even be considered for that show.

But someone like that family who lives up in Alaska in the middle of nowhere would be opposite for sure.

Morning people, clean freak-germaphobes. Wealthy, large dogs, formal sit-down dinners with specific (and matching!) forks.

All boys who run around in their underpants and have belching and gas-passing contests at the dinner table.

Sportsy- football and golf fans.

UGH!

My SIL?

I thought exactly the same thing! I love my sil but we are polar opposites in many ways - this was deliberate on dh's part..

Can you find the episode of that family on YouTube? If so, would you PM us the link, we'd love to see it.

I think episodes 5, 18 and 19 are the ones I'm thinking of. 

https://www.ovguide.com/tv_season/wife-swap-season-1-74512

ETA: I think it may have been Trading Spouses that was recruiting us. Both shows were in preproduction at the same time and D and I watched both. 

They would have an actual table in their dining room, be monogamous or polygynous and straight and probably devoutly monotheistically religious, neat freaks, have no politial opinions, and send their kids to private school. They would not own anything related to Tolkien, D&D, Playboy, or Star Wars. Neither would like baseball. Nascar or Cowboys fans, perhaps.

the polar opposite of our family is one who would go on one of those shows.  

Yes, I've never really understood who watches those shows and says "Golly! What fun! I must sign up at once!"

I understand there's a cash payout, but still.

LOL, DH thought we would be perfect for Wife Swap. He sent them a video. They didn't want us, so maybe we are too weird for Wife Swap. Although I told DH that we are too normal for Wife Swap, lol.

There would be lots of beer, lots of watching sports on tv, lots of video games, lots of greasy, unhealthy food, no vegetables, no interest in education, no interest in exploring the world around them and they would be mean to others.

There would be lots of beer, lots of watching sports on tv, lots of video games, lots of greasy, unhealthy food, no vegetables, no interest in education, no interest in exploring the world around them and they would be mean to others.

Another reason I could never go on that show. I'm an addict, sober for 6+ years, but still.

Being involved in such chaotic nonsense + camera crew + the directors trying to get us to ham up the ridiculousness for TV would probably drive me to using and drinking again. No thanks!

:lol:

This would be very interesting bc I never know where I/we fit in.  My views on various things fit many groups.  

Now I wonder if I should audition for the show  just to see who would they pair us up with.

Hmmm.... They'd be:

-all male

-homophobic

-conspiracy theorists

-into homeopathic medicine

-anti-vaccine

-very spiritual or devout believers in any religion

-overly permissive parenting style with random bouts of punitive authoritarian discipline

-smokers

-lovers of football, nascar, rodeo

-patriarchal

-gun-lovers

-with strict dietary rules - gluten-free, vegan, macrobiotic and judgy when others don't follow it

I think it's a pretty strange mix, although I do have a friend who meets many of these requirements and I actually really like her.

It would probably be a dual-income household, children in school or in a lot of scheduled activities, and anti-Catholic. Or possibly big spenders that love to shop.  :)  That would be really hard for me. 

Ours would be fancy city folks, with high-powered jobs, nannies, and a kitchen that would never be cooked in. They'd be anti-military, germophobe pagans, who go on long vacations. It would be fun to see what they'd make of the Great Pyrenees in my back porch, with ten puppies. Or the lambs and calves in the kitchen sometimes. Oh, and they'd live somewhere warm. Just watching my raised in TX, lived in FL and So CA sil a week ago was pretty funny. He decided -35 was not for him. 

I haven't really thought of this before. I have always never really had a group I fit in neatly with. I am very eclectic and if you add dh and the kids there are lots of different interests and ways in our family. I am crunchy to mainstream people but not at all crunchy when in a group of crunchy types. I am not homeschooling but if I was it would be eclectic and closer to classical then unschooling. My kids got to am alternative charter but I think I am one of the few progressive liberals at this school. I am not really super strict or really permissive as far as parenting goes. I hate sports but dh loves them. I am a pacifist and do not agree with a lot of our actions but my ds is fascinated by the military, all the wars and wants to be a military leader when he grows up. I am an atheist but I am not dogmatic about it with my kids. They can chose what they want.

Our opposites would be an evangelical religious family that is very conservative or libertarian. They would have helicopter parenting tendencies. They would also believe in conspiracy theories and be young earth creationists. They would not believe that global warming or evolution is real. They would have an educational philosophy similar to The Waldorf method. They would follow a strict primal dietary plan. They would fear GMOs but drive big vehicles and live a very resource intense lifestyle with big houses and lots of material possessions. I do know people like this and I am fine with them ;)

We would be of no use. We're not too relaxed not too strict, not too tidy not too messy, involve kids but not overly involved as a family....we're pretty much boring. I guess they could pair us with a small family but that's about it. BORING!

I used to enjoy that show. 

We live rurally- so the obvious opposite would be big city living(although we enjoy visiting the city so I think I'd enjoy that as a vacation)

I'm a SAHM but we have an egalitarian marriage- so I guess the opposite might be a busy executive WOHM or a Gothard subservient wife just as opposite

Sports, definitely sports- we are active but don't play any sports

Parenting- We fall more towards free-range- valuing independence, attachement parenting, gentle discipline- so either helicopter parent and/or authoritarian - yes ma'am no ma'am- first time obedience

Being outside and active is very important to me- so of course they would live inside on devices

religion- we are Catholic- so Catholics aren't Christians Protestant or Atheist

Personally I'd have a lot harder time with the uber Conservative- I could see me and the "I'm the Master of this house" Hubby having words(there have been some epic show downs on that show). My dh leans more conservative and I think he would have an harder time with the agnostic liberal hippy (although he thinks I'm a bit hippy I'm straight laced compared to real hippies!).

A social climbing family would see me curled up in a ball behind the bar fridge, hoping they wouldn't find me. Or maybe I'd be in the bar fridge and they'd be burying me in the back yard to save face. I wouldn't be good for their image, that's for sure.

I actually know someone who was on that show.

If I were swapped, they would have to find a Martha Stewart while I give another family an Erma Bombeck.

I've never actually seen that show though if it's the one I'm thinking of I've seen clips on YouTube of the "DARK SIDED!" lady. 

My dh is more politically conservative and less anti-gun than I am, so those possibilities are out.

There are a few possibilities and you probably wouldn't find them all in one family. So...

-A super religious (any religion) family who adheres to strict gender roles. Actually they don't even have to be super religious to be our opposites, but I have believer friends who I could swap with and no one would notice so I'm going with super.

-A family who is into all organic, alternative medicine, anti-gmo, anti-vaccine and possibly even vegan (though I know meat-eating families who fit the other categories).

-A family who is all about appearances.

-A family where everyone is totally into sports -either playing them, watching them as super fans, or both.

-A family who doesn't like anything outdoorsy.

Our anti-family probably has a nanny and a clean house, but extremely bratty children who rule the house.  They are vegans, for no clearly thought out reason.  They have an only child or two kids, maximum and feel very strongly about maintaining their small family size "for the good of the children".  

If they homeschool, they are radical unschoolers.  If they don't, they are public schoolers but complain every time their special snowflakes don't get special-snowflake-treatment.