Menu

What is the opposite of your family culture/philosophy?

Gil

Just for fun: If you were to go on a show like Wife Swap/Trading Spouses, then what sort of family would the producers pair you with?

In case you don't watch those shows, they pair up families who are polar opposites on at least 2 or 3 different fronts. (ie a military-sharp, strict family, who believes in private school or classical education is swapped out to a hippy, child-led parenting family where the family is run democratically and there is only one rule: HAVE FUN! etc.)

They'd probably pair our family with a religious, 2-parent family that believes parents are their kids friends and that childhood is about fun. Strong possibilities include a family that doesn't feel cleaning is all that important and who can thrive in a state of regular clutter/messiness. I have no idea what they'd do on the animal front, as I do not love animals and strongly dislike pets yet allow my boys to keep a pack of cats. Educationally the parents are either going to be radical un-schoolers and if not unschoolers than probably a PS-zealot who believes in the power of the public school! Very probably someone from a higher economic bracket than us, which isn't that hard since we are on the bottom of the totem pole financially.

• Like 3

Wow! That's a hard question :)

Hmm.... opposite would be a two-parent family.  Probably pagan/witchy (although that is my background before conversion to Christianity).  Animal haters.

Educationally, I don't think I have an opposite. Maybe it would be complete fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants "non-schooling" even though we are mostly unschoolers over here.  But last semester we were mostly classical schoolers, so really it would depend on what season you caught us in :)

Financially it would be difficult too since we are poor but have the resources of extended family available to us.

Actually, the thought of a family opposite of us depresses me since I kind of like the way we are :o

That show used to crack me up so I've actually thought about this. I think we couldn't qualify for one of those because we're too moderate overall.

But... if we did, they'd probably swap us with a family that's an extreme "helicopter" parent sort of style and maybe who are disciplinarians with super traditional gender roles and rigid schedules. I think if there's anything the producers would want, it would be to see what happens when a helicopter mom has to watch my kids take the public bus alone and walk to the store in our inner city neighborhood by themselves.

The one I always wanted to go on was the one where they had the families trade vacations - so it would be like the family that likes to be beach bums and just sit around all vacation has to go on the vacation where you hike and camp the whole time.

• Like 7

Opposite of us?  Parents who view earning money not just as a necessity but a priority, obsessed with prepping the kids for Harvard, utra-liberal politically, harboring a not-so-secret crush on government programs, with at least one parent working for an organization like Planned Parenthood.

Haha - I just realized that one of my friends has most of these traits.

• Like 8

Hmm, interesting question.

One possibility would be very mainstream, dual income, one child who goes to school and doesn't have any particular special needs or quirks, either not religious or very mainstream protestant Christian, probably own a boat or some four-wheelers and like cruise vacations, don't read much but follow celebrities and fashion trends.

• Like 2

I think they would probably be people who were in high-powered careers, very money oriented, very focused on getting kids into the right school.  I suppose they'd have to be libertarians of some sort.  Fundamentalists of some kind (religious or non-religious) who enjoy cheesy religious folk music.  Vegans.  Their kids would all have cell-phones and tablets and computers in their bedrooms.   Teetotalers who really like jogging.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

Opposite of us? Parents who view earning money not just as a necessity but a priority, obsessed with prepping the kids for Harvard, utra-liberal politically, harboring a not-so-secret crush on government programs, with at least one parent working for an organization like Planned Parenthood.

Haha - I just realized that one of my friends has most of these traits.

I have a few friends like my opposite as well. It's funny because I love them dearly! We are just hilariously different in the big areas and meet on our passions and hobbies.

Anything Duck Dynasty.

This would definitely be the opposite of us.   :laugh:

Also opposites: gun nuts, politically conservative, conservative/fundamentalist Christian (or any other conservative/fundamental religion for that matter), authoritative parenting style, traditional gender roles, "a place for everything and everything in its place", "children should be seen and not heard", young earth, science deniers (dh and I both have science degrees), womans place is in the home, very rural/farm living or big city living (we're suburban/rural but rural NJ so not really), huge McMansions (I'd like to give that a try sometime), jet setting vacations.

Oh yes, early morning people that adhere to a strict schedule for eating, exercising, gender roles and sleeping. They would minimize technology, yet watch TV all the time. Boys would have buzzed hair and wear pressed clothing everyday and say yes, ma'am a lot. Moms would cook a lot and actually enjoy it. Two parent family, of course. They would also be extremely outgoing, be involved in a ton of activities, rarely home, and drive a giant SUV. They'd also be into sports, really into sports. 

• Like 1

I'd end up in a home where they are used to the mom waking up at the crack of dawn and preparing every single meal from scratch. There would be a rigid clean up schedule and the kids would be way more involved in the process than I'm used to. There would probably be no screens in the house and we'd go to bed relatively early. We'd spend a lot of time outdoors and/or on the go a lot. Maybe the kids would be signed up for a lot of extracurriculars and I'd have a number of outside commitments that would tap me out.

To be clear, I don't care if another family lives like that.

Well, come on over!   :tongue_smilie:  Except the pop culture references.  We have tons of *those* T-shirts!

A family who doesn't believe in doctors, food allergies, or asthma.  They would try and cook milk, egg, and peanutty foods for my kid and refuse to let her take her medication.  They would instead rub essential oils on her extremely sensitive skin.  She would, of course, end up in the hospital, assuming she survived.

They would also clean constantly and insist cursing was always appropriate.

And have a jet set lifestyle.

• Like 2

Related:

When Wife Swap was first being developed, they recruited families from one of my natural parenting groups. No one took them up on it, because they wanted us to leave our breastfed, cosleeping infants in the care of a stranger for two weeks for entertainment. They did eventually find natural-minded parents with older kids who were willing to participate, but man. They slammed up against a wall with that one. I'm sure the viewership would have had a blast watching a little baby cry for hours and refuse to take a bottle for days. Lots of laughs. 

• Like 6

This is a hard one. For the most part, my dh and I are total opposites. He likes sports, I don't. He's a conservative Christian, I'm not. Etc. So, you would have to go way out there to find our opposites. All I can think of right now would be people who are social climbers or practice authoritarian parenting.

Hmm. They'd probably be very healthy smokers who hate sports and exercise but run marathons. Well-traveled bloggers and amateur photographers. Very extroverted and very religious with many friends, church obligations, and dinner parties, and are close to extended family. They would be very, VERY passionate about... well, anything. Probably on the public school PTA or running for school board because they love being in charge and dealing with other people's kids (and their parents).

They'd like country music and have their walls decorated with deer heads on wood paneling but they'd hate hunting. The house is loaded with knick-knacks and keepsakes.

But they are very serious and formal. They don't talk to each other in movie quotes or giggle over innuendo.

The kids (if they have them) display a precocious maturity and play with their massive toy collection as intended, and they would never dismantle or pilfer household items in the name of creativity or upgrade attempts.

They'd also be baseball hating Cubs fans.

Related:

When Wife Swap was first being developed, they recruited families from one of my natural parenting groups. No one took them up on it, because they wanted us to leave our breastfed, cosleeping infants in the care of a stranger for two weeks for entertainment. They did eventually find natural-minded parents with older kids who were willing to participate, but man. They slammed up against a wall with that one. I'm sure the viewership would have had a blast watching a little baby cry for hours and refuse to take a bottle for days. Lots of laughs. 

Can you find the episode of that family on YouTube? If so, would you PM us the link, we'd love to see it.

Edited by Gil

the polar opposite of our family is one who would go on one of those shows.

Truth.

I've never even seen an episode. I only know it exists because of an old episode of The Soup.

Working professional mom, sahd, one or two kids who fit stereotypical gender roles (even though their parents don't.)  They learn by memorizing and only have to pee during scheduled bathroom breaks.  Their house is constantly scrubbed AND disinfected.  They have a purebred, professionally trained dog and a cat that doesn't try to kill them on the stairs every. single. trip.  They're devout any-religion, but don't pay attention to things outside of their bubble.  They do have a whole bunch of "social engagements", whatever that means. But it requires constant hair salon trips because Mom never has 2" dark roots.

And they all wear uncomfortable pants.

• Like 4

Working professional mom, sahd, one or two kids who fit stereotypical gender roles (even though their parents don't.)  They learn by memorizing and only have to pee during scheduled bathroom breaks.  Their house is constantly scrubbed AND disinfected.  They have a purebred, professionally trained dog and a cat that doesn't try to kill them on the stairs every. single. trip.  They're devout any-religion, but don't pay attention to things outside of their bubble.  They do have a whole bunch of "social engagements", whatever that means. But it requires constant hair salon trips because Mom never has 2" dark roots.

And they all wear uncomfortable pants.

:lol:

• Like 3

Cashed up bogans, for sure.

I'm stealing Rosie's answer. I don't know what that is, so I don't think I am one.

The thing is, I'm adaptable and could do anything for two weeks. My family would be VERY unhappy and not remotely up for the experience.

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

Unmarried, theologically liberal parents who eschew traditional gender roles, love hunting, and are in the military.

Wow. I'm not active military but was a military wife and we do fish and have raised animals for meat. We aren't Christian. So I guess we could switch, LOL.

I think my dh and I are already polar opposites in 2 areas! ;)  So, I'd end up partnered with an Energizer Bunny who likes to plan and eat veggies, like myself, and we'd both have our days filled with stuff and never see each other. Or dh would end up with a very relaxed, go-with-the-flow, Oreo cookie lover, and they'd be off doing spontaneous things together. I'm not too sure what would happen with the homeschooling.  :lol:

The opposite of both of us would be someone with no sense of humour who loved to make money by cheating.  :laugh:

Opposite of us?  Parents who view earning money not just as a necessity but a priority, obsessed with prepping the kids for Harvard, utra-liberal politically, harboring a not-so-secret crush on government programs, with at least one parent working for an organization like Planned Parenthood.

I'd add to this they would be neat freaks who love watching sport and are public school zealots.

I think we're pretty middle of the road on most issues, so I don't think it is easy to find our opposite. The people on that show are polar. We just aren't. Our political, educational, discipline, cleanliness, animal, and financial attitudes are all moderate. They just wouldn't take us, we're too hard to offend and not very offensive to others.  :lol: