Menu

Vacation ideas in the West

Danestress

We want to take our 18 year old boy twins on a trip after HS graduation. So first week of June. They both want to go out West. I know 'West' is a pretty big area.

We really can only take a week from work - maybe adding a day or two on one side of that week - so 10 days. And we would have to fly, so camping is out.

Primarily this would be a nature related vacation. Fishing. Hiking. Looking.

I do not want to go to the South West.

I do not want to have a "one night here, one night there" trip especially since we have such a short vacation. I would love to rent a cabin that would itself be a great vacation, near a national park. I looked a vrbo near Yellowstone, but can't get a feel for things. It seemed very "condo" heavy. I want to get away from that.

If we can keep expenses for flights and accommodations low, I would love to arrange some guided activities - rafting, fly fishing, etc.

I have lived in San Diego and vacationed in Colorado and the southwest, but have no experience outside of that.

I just need to generate some ideas of what we could reasonably do in one week as thtee active men and one introverted Mom.

I have not been there in years, so have no current knowledge of accommodations, but Lassen Volcanic National Park is a fabulous place for a vacation.  My husband and I rented a cabin near there one summer... it was about 1996, so who knows if the place is at all nice anymore.   (Mill Creek Resort, looks to have a current website.)  

After living most of my life in California, I miss only a few places.  Lassen is one of them.  Hiking to the top of Lassen Peak is a long and satisfying day hike.  Also in the park are thermal pools and waterfalls and lakes.  I think there is fishing. 

Check it out, anyway.  May not be feasible as it's a longish drive from the nearest major airport... if Sacramento is even considered major?  

ETA: Drakesbad Guest Ranch comes to mind too.  Never stayed there.

Now I want desperately to book a vacation.  :-)

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

I also think you should keep looking around Yellowstone.  It's a huge area and you'll be able to find a place to stay that works for you.  We've usually camped there like creekland (or lived near Yellowstone so we didn't have to find a place to stay) but we have stayed in the cabins in Yellowstone.  If you're looking at this summer they might already be booked and there would be more comfortable places to stay outside the park. Maybe it would help to figure out which airport you'd want to fly into (Bozeman is the nearest majorish airport with other smaller airports in the area, or you can probably get a cheaper flight and car rental into Salt Lake and drive an extra couple of hours) and then find a place to stay on that side of the park.

I have not been there in years, so have no current knowledge of accommodations, but Lassen Volcanic National Park is a fabulous place for a vacation.  My husband and I rented a cabin near there one summer... it was about 1996, so who knows if the place is at all nice anymore.   (Mill Creek Resort, looks to have a current website.)  

After living most of my life in California, I miss only a few places.  Lassen is one of them.  Hiking to the top of Lassen Peak is a long and satisfying day hike.  Also in the park are thermal pools and waterfalls and lakes.  I think there is fishing. 

It's always interesting to see how different we Hive Boardies are... Lassen is one of our least favorite NPs.  We tend to only recommend it with a trip like we did comparing volcanic areas (Mt Ranier, Mt St Helens, Lassen) to see succession IRL.  For that combo, it's awesome.  As a stand alone?  It wasn't for us (compared to other places like Yellowstone).

We're weird though, we really liked Lava Beds and prowling around in the lava tubes 100% by ourselves, so anyone should take my recommendations accordingly!  (And if the OP didn't like the desert southwest, skip Lava Beds!)

Lassen might be better for the OP if they want to be more alone.  Yellowstone is crowded at all of its main attractions - not so much if one goes deeper in, but again, comparatively, Lassen is very likely to have fewer people.

Another option not yet mentioned is Glacier NP.  Do NOT go there expecting to see awe inspiring glaciers (head to Alaska).  Go there to see awe-inspiring glacier formed mountains and valleys, etc, along with a few smaller glaciers.  It's absolutely gorgeous with the right expectations and has fishing, etc, too.

I love the Pinecrest/Strawberry area of California.  It's in national forest land in the Sierra Nevada mountains, with lakes, rivers, and the Sonora Pass close by.  Mono Lake is beyond the Sonora Pass and would be a good day trip from there.  Great day hiking base camp spot, and good (stocked) trout fishing is available (you need a fishing license for that.)  Altitude of these is about 5600 feet, so it's not as difficult to adjust as some other notable Sierra Nevada sites.

Here are two cabins that I can recommend personally:

Old-fashioned knotty pine/retro:  http://www.theriversresort.com/units/unit7.htm

Modern but still cabin-y:  http://www.vacationcabinrentalspinecrest.com/page2.html

You can see/hear the Stanislaus River from both of them, and Pinecrest Lake is just a short drive away.  Also each has a full kitchen so you can do your own cooking, although there are also pretty decent restaurants nearby.  One caution about the modern one--you have to provide your own linens and towels for that one.  It makes sense with the business model, but it can catch people off guard if they don't plan on it.  It does have more amenities--air conditioning (but the other one is shaded by trees so it's reasonable not to have it there), and a washer and dryer.  Both have fully stocked kitchens with dishwashers.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 3

The first week of June can be pretty early to visit Yellowstone. We were there years ago,at that time, and needed up staying an extra night due to a snow storm. Trees were down and the road to Cody was closed. We littlerally had on all of our clothes as we were out and a out. It was cold. Lest you think we were whips, we were living in Minnesota at the time. We understand cold. We were just unprepared.

Another for Yellowstone/Grand Tetons. There is a wider variety of sights and things to do in Yellowstone, but Tetons is prettier IMO.

I know you said no camping, but we have flown and then rented a camper van. It was cozy with two teens (which we have too) but as long as the weather was good, it was fine, and it was cheaper than a cabin or hotel.

Edited to say, I missed the first week of June part. I agree with the other poster who said it's early for Yellowstone.

Edited by livetoread

I bet Yosemite would be beautiful that time of year.   We just visited there last September, and while it was absolutely beautiful, we had many people tell us that the time to come is in the spring/summer when the waterfalls are flowing.   We did Yellowstone in late summer a couple years ago too and it was wonderful, but I have no idea what it would be like in the early summer.

• Like 1

We did a 5 week cross country trip out west, including CO, NM, AZ, UT, WY, and SD. I would suggest southern Utah. There are four or five NPs there and a couple of nice state parks. It's relatively easy to travel between a few. And they are all so different. It is definitely not seen one, seen them all.

We went to Yellowstone and really liked it, but we were there around Mother's Day and it was unseasonably warm (70s) The staff kept commenting that it is usually still snowy and cold at that time. In comparison, we had left southern UT a week or so earlier and it was like summer.

As a family, we agree that if we had the chance to revisit any of those places, it would be southern UT.

I think Yellowstone is great in early June but I agree that it's possible that many would think it's too cold then.  I've been caught in snowstorms there in the spring and it's fun. :)  I won't go to Yellowstone in July and August because it's too crowded and Yellowstone isn't fun when everyone else is there.  

Another plus about Pinecrest/Strawberry is that there is an old Gold Rush town that has been turned into a park less than an hour away.  http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=552

Ooh, I think I have been there, long ago.  That is also an interesting area!

That is also near the Amador Valley wine region which is a nice place to visit - if one likes wine, of course! 

• Like 2

We did a 5 week cross country trip out west, including CO, NM, AZ, UT, WY, and SD. I would suggest southern Utah. There are four or five NPs there and a couple of nice state parks. It's relatively easy to travel between a few. And they are all so different. It is definitely not seen one, seen them all.

We went to Yellowstone and really liked it, but we were there around Mother's Day and it was unseasonably warm (70s) The staff kept commenting that it is usually still snowy and cold at that time. In comparison, we had left southern UT a week or so earlier and it was like summer.

As a family, we agree that if we had the chance to revisit any of those places, it would be southern UT.

I would second Southern Utah. It would be a good time for weather, there are so many AMAZING parks, and it's just generally lovely. 

It really all depends how far West you want to venture. :) Just want to comment on a suggestion by PP: Lassen is great if you seek more solitude. Creekland is correct IMHO that Yellowstone and Yosemite are going to be far more busy than Lassen. Lassen has two (or three? )very small lakes but you can fish there. I believe they are stocked. No motor boats as far as I can remember but your kayak is welcome. Cinder Cone is an experience if you are interested in volcanoes. If you are a horse riding family, you can arrange for that as well. Lots of opportunities to hike. Dogs on leash are okay. There can be snow well into May and June if it's that kind of year.

Overall, I would research (or delegate the research to the lucky boys) and then narrow it down to a destination that suits you all best. Since you described yourself as more introvert, I'd take some good books along. While my dh and ds were fishing, I sat by a lake or stream, reading.

National Parks' websites should be a good point to start researching.

• Like 1

As a Colorado girl... I'll put in a plug for Rocky Mountain National Park. Check into cabins at the YMCA of the Rockies. Loads to do, see, fish, hike, horseback ride. One homebase. You don't have to be a member of the Y

The advantage of Rocky Mountain National Park is that you can fly into Denver and not have a terribly long drive to your ultimate destination. It's about a 90 minute drive.

• Like 1

I grew up in Montana. June tends to be a prettier month. The grass is usually greener and everything's growing. It can still be chilly, though, and you could encounter snow storms in the mountains at that time.

Glacier Natl Park is very pretty. Usually all facilities are open end of May. Most people drive the scenic Going-to-the-Sun Road (east to west) at least once stopping along the way to see different sites and to hike trails. You'd want to research trails and maybe even go with a guide to see some of the non-touristy sites.

If you were to stay around there, I'd recommend a cabin inside GNP on the west side or a nearby town on the west side. Lake McDonald would be a good area. We saw cabins very close to the lake. You can do different activities like canoeing, biking, swimming (brrrr…) etc. Right now they have some special deals.

http://www.glacierparkinc.com/lodging/apgar-village-lodge-cabins/

About 45" south of the western entrance to GNP is Flathead Lake, a deep, crystal-clear lake surrounded by cherry trees. It's also quite pretty. You could drive around it and explore areas that interest you. Bigfork would be a good place to walk around and eat. A lot of little galleries there. The National Bison Range is not too far, also. Well, an hour or so south.

http://www.frommers.com/trip-ideas/road-trip/circling-montanas-flathead-lake

If you go to Glacier, flying into Missoula, a crunchy hippy town/little city, would be a good choice. It would be about 2 to 2.5 hours to get to GNP. The speed limit in that area might be 80 and at least when I was growing up there, you could drive even faster and pay only a small fine if you were pulled over. Not sure how that is nowadays. Distances in Montana are big but highway traffic is rarely busy.

There are also places in that area where you can sleep in a tipi.

Edited by MBM

I had also totally missed the June 1st timing.  Given a bad snow year (as this one is looking like in the west), this could be dicey.  Heading further south is likely to be a good idea, but the places we love further south (Zion, Bryce, Mesa Verde, Sequoia, Death Valley, Carlsbad, Chaco, etc) don't really seem to be what the OP is looking for.

The pros to going off season and dealing with possible "winter" are far fewer people.  That can be a significant pro for those of us who dislike crowds.  The big con could be limitations on what you can see and do.

• Like 1

You could stay in a yurt overlooking the Pacific Ocean, in Big Sur, Ca- one of my favorite places ever.

www.treebonesresort.com

It's so peaceful there... not crowded, tons of hiking, fishing, kayaking, boating, scuba diving, etc.

It's very close to Monterey and Carmel- which are just as gorgeous... lovely weather in June.

*sigh* Now I want to go....

• Like 3

Also, our next stateside vacation will be to Oregon and Washington State- just waiting for youngest to get a bit older....

We are going to stay in a treehouse resort in Orgeon, do some river rafting, hiking, horse back riding, etc.

Dip down into CA to see the giant redwoods, then head up the coast to Washington State.... however, we have 3 weeks for that...

For one week, you could stay in the Treehouse resort and do everything there, and just visit Crater Lake.

ETA: www.treehouses.com

Edited by *lifeoftheparty*
  • Like 2

My husband and I had a fabulous trip to Oregon back in the day.  We spent several days in Bandon on the beach (glorious rocks!), a good chunk of time at Crater Lake (amazingly beautiful) and a few days in Sisters (near lava fields and such).  It was great!  And I think it would be a fun trip for a family. 

• Like 1

With a June 1 date, I may consider the "Avenue of the Giants" in Northern CA. No danger of ice or snow. Giant Redwoods. You could stay at the Benbow Inn. :)  :) From there it's not too far to Crater Lake in OR.

http://www.benbowinn.com/

Liz, you are killin' me here.

We spent two nights at the Benbow as part of our honeymoon. The nights were a gift from friends.  :001_wub:

It is a beautiful place in a beautiful area.  Food was good 20 years ago!  :-)

• Like 2