Menu

s/o US Homeschooled students going abroad for college

*lifeoftheparty*

That thread about college made me look into sending kids off to college outside the US, and I have some questions I was hoping someone could answer- can we chat about this?

So, if you homeschool your child(ren) all the way through- are they able to go to college abroad? How do European countries deal with homeschooled students who enter University? What about countries like Germany, where homeschooling isn't legal? How do they treat HS students? Do they even consider them?

What about if your child does dual enrollment at community college Junior/Senior year and graduates high school with an associates degree? How would they go about getting a Bachelor's degree somewhere abroad?

My oldest is halfway through 6th grade, I'm not even sure if he will choose to go to college... he's VERY smart, but has ADHD- and neither of us are very interested in "traditional do what everyone else does" things. I could see him joining the military (like his parents did), I could see him going to trade school, or that college in Charleston that combines learning a trade with a degree.... I just don't see him being very happy going to a traditional 4 year college (because I sure wasn't!), especially if it means paying out the nose for the "privilege".....

BUT- I could see him dealing with 3-4 years of college if the adventure of living in a foreign country was attached to it- and I would *LOVE* to do the same- so I would *LOVE* for him to have that opportunity, so I want to look into it.

Have you or any of your children done this? Tried to do this? Know of someone who did/is doing it? Do you know of any neat resources you could pass along to someone who only just started considering this as a possibility?

Thanks!!

Most European Universities will require between 3-5 AP-exams to enter (without advanced placement!) or a Bachelor/undergraduate degree...and will probably not care much about anything else, as an Americal high-school (diploma) is not considered..."much"...

You can find information on the internet site of almost any specific university...

• Like 1

I think Aus. Universities would treat the student much the same as any other international student. they would have to sit a entrance exam and /or prove their ability to work at university level. many international students do bridging courses to get in. International students are not able to get subsidized fees, but I think the full fees here are less than those in America.

I know a few US people who sent their kids to medical school in Egypt.  Kids were Egyptian-Americans, but med school is in English.  It's like our Interflex program... a six year all in one.  Compared to US schools, it's basically free.  I believe they submitted SAT scores, as these are also used by the uber-expensive international schools in Egypt in place of (or in addition to) the state high school leaving exam.

This is what my alma mater in Singapore recommends for US applicants :lol:

"You must have attained a very high level of achievement or leadership positions in activities. Examples of such achievements include International Science Olympiad medals, top national awards, national team sportsmen and exceptional rank in top university entrance examinations (e.g. IIT/AIEEE rankings, etc.)."

Minumum academic requirements are ACT with writing or SAT, and three SAT subject tests

"The SAT Subject Tests are content-based tests. 3 subject tests should be taken. The Mathematics Level 2 subject is compulsory while the two other subjects may be of your choice."

The ones I knew who are attending universities in Germany and Switzerland on scholarships are from B&M schools.

Most European Universities will require between 3-5 AP-exams to enter (without advanced placement!) or a Bachelor/undergraduate degree...and will probably not care much about anything else, as an Americal high-school (diploma) is not considered..."much"...

You can find information on the internet site of almost any specific university...

So, can anyone take AP exams, or do you have to be enrolled in an AP class to do so?

If you think your son might prefer learning something in a more hands on way, it might be that is also the kind of work he would like.  What about looking at trade or technical schools in other countries?

If he's smart with a technical bias, a school with a strong co-op program could also be a good fit. Somewhere like Virginia Tech or Waterloo... mixing in work experiences every term or so can be just the motivation some kids need.

My daughter went to a small private university in Costa Rica for her entire college career (just finishing now).  It was an outstanding academic program, and I can't imagine a better fit for her.  

That said, we have a rather unusual situation in our town in that our public school allows homeschooled students to "transfer in" at the end and walk with the class at commencement and even get one of their degrees, as long as what we did has met all of their requirements.  So, she did have an official high school degree, but I don't believe it would have made a difference.  The university in CR required that her transcript be approved of and signed by someone in our state's government -- it was very specific, but I can't remember who it was exactly.  Like the secretary of state!  Then she had to have everything translated by an official translator.  

There was a lot of paperwork involved both at this end and the CR end to get the correct visa, etc., but no additional testing was required with the exception of language proficiency.  (She had to have both a written and oral Spanish language test.)

Most UK universities will have pages that detail requirements.  Overseas students are much in demand as the pay higher fees than do domestic students.  Here's one:

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/international/countries/usa.html#ugentryreqs

Thank you! After looking around, I am mostly interested in UK Universities, for purely selfish reasons of course, I would LOVE to HAVE to visit my kid in Scotland  :)

But also because DS is definitely a Math/Science/Technology guy- and not at a foreign language guru, so classes in English would be a plus...

ETA: Wow, so, that looks pretty cut and dry, with not too many hoops to jump through.... sweet! I hope overseas students are still in demand 7-8 years from now... I'd also really like DS to take a gap year, I'm guessing they allow for that?

Edited by *lifeoftheparty*

My daughter went to a small private university in Costa Rica for her entire college career (just finishing now).  It was an outstanding academic program, and I can't imagine a better fit for her.  

That said, we have a rather unusual situation in our town in that our public school allows homeschooled students to "transfer in" at the end and walk with the class at commencement and even get one of their degrees, as long as what we did has met all of their requirements.  So, she did have an official high school degree, but I don't believe it would have made a difference.  The university in CR required that her transcript be approved of and signed by someone in our state's government -- it was very specific, but I can't remember who it was exactly.  Like the secretary of state!  Then she had to have everything translated by an official translator.  

There was a lot of paperwork involved both at this end and the CR end to get the correct visa, etc., but no additional testing was required with the exception of language proficiency.  (She had to have both a written and oral Spanish language test.)

Oh wow, Costa Rica! That would be cool! I want my next OCONUS vacation to be in Costa Rica :)