Menu

Where to buy dress clothes for short slim guys?

TrixieB

My 5'4" son who wears boys size 16/18, men's XS or sometimes S, is trying to find a brightly colored dress shirt that is decent quality.  He has looked at the boys' department of various stores but the majority of the shirts are white, striped, or not very good quality.  Men's XS is hard to find.  He wants to know if there is a store for "petite men"?

Have you looked at some of the boutique type places, like Abercrombie & Fitch or whatever is trendy these days at your local mall? How about someplace like Men's Wearhouse, or an outlet like Nordstrom Rack (because Nordstrom's department store is so dang pricey)?

Alternately, a bridal gown/tuxedo rental type place may sell dress shirts, and in a wide variety of sizes since they are geared towards special occasions that tend to require all ages/stages be dressy.

Look for "Modern" or "slim" fit, and a small might work okay? 

My very slim (but tall) ds wears J. Ferrar slim fit.  JCP is a good source....lots of good colors in dress shirts.

My son (almost six feet tall, under 130 pounds) has had decent luck with that brand, too. He also likes Pierre Cardin slim, which we found a whole bunch of at Ross or Marshall's or one of those discount places. Between the two, he has shirts in vivid red, a couple of shades of purple, black, bright blue, etc.

J Crew carries slim fit and XS men. My youngest is on the shorter, slim side and their clothes fit him well. You can get practically the same stuff from J Crew Factory for less, too. Sign up for the email offers because they have sales every day.

We have found white button down dress shirts for ds1 in Kohl's. But, mostly we go with Land's End.  However, now Mens XS from Gap will fit ds1...I suspect it is exactly the same as boys 16. 

Both ds1 and dh like Lands End slim fit.  If you are in a different store ask if they carry 'modern cut' clothes. It really does make a difference.

Volcom or Freeworld Messangers are super slim fit, do not look like jeans, and come in a variety of colors. We have used those for Ds. VanHuesen makes dress shirts in a men's small with a modern/slim fit. They are very bright and hier quality. Finding formal attire for my little guy is a bit of a puzzler as well!