Menu

Mastery Math for 3rd grade boy with math anxiety

TyraTooters

We are currently about 3/4 of the way through 2nd grade Abeka. We hate it. We are making it work for the time being, taking our time and doing our own thing with it but it's time to move on. He is good at math when he takes the time to slow down and think about it before getting all worked up and finding himself in a fit of rage. 

He finally said that the reason he isn't getting it is because there's not enough time spent on a certain topic. We need mastery, which I knew we would end up switching to. He does all his math sitting rightnexttome. Just knowing I am right there, even if he doesn't need me, helps him out. I'm okay with that, I just want him to be able to pull his math out and not completely dread it or get worked up before we even start. 

His brother, 7 years old, uses Singapore and he's mentioned that he wants to use the same thing but I don't know how that will work for a kid who isn't really a mathy person. He catches on quick, when he's not freaking out about the material, but I wouldn't say he's into math or math-minded. I've also been looking at BJU. We don't need anything with tons of manipulatives, he gets annoyed with those. 

There are tons and tons of parts to Singapore, you can certainly customize the program using a variety of components. Don't worry about using the most challenging bits until your son is able to get his bearings about him.

Give him the Singapore PM placement tests and let him try it since he's expressed an interest in it.

You might use the Textbook + Workbook and in Extra Practice if he needs additional review. Instead of  CWP, you can use FAN Process Skills a grade behind to break down word problems.

• Like 2

There are tons and tons of parts to Singapore, you can certainly customize the program using a variety of components. Don't worry about using the most challenging bits until your son is able to get his bearings about him.

Give him the Singapore PM placement tests and let him try it since he's expressed an interest in it.

You might use the Textbook + Workbook and in Extra Practice if he needs additional review. Instead of  CWP, you can use FAN Process Skills a grade behind to break down word problems.

We are fairly new to Singapore, what is CWP and FAN Process Skills?

We are fairly new to Singapore, what is CWP and FAN Process Skills?

CWP = Challenging Word Problems and FAN-Math Process Skills is written by Li Fanglan,and so the FAN just comes from the authors name.

Challenging Word Problems is a book of word problems that are meant to supplement Singapore PM and while it does have worked examples, it  does not include much in the way of teaching. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

FAN-Math Process Skills is a supplement that teaches how to approach and solve multi-step word problems with instruciton, via examples and provides practice problems for the student. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

• Like 1

For a cheaper SM customization option, consider buying Math Mammoth while it's on sale.  I occasionally find my ds needs reinforcement in a particular topics, and since I have the MM bundle, I just go through and find a few pages that are appropriate.  It is cheaper long-term than buying and trying all of the SM extras, and if he happens to like the MM pages, you can move him over to the full curriculum.  

In addition to a math curriculum switch, you may want to consider some of the amazing apps out there.  I'm thinking specifically of:

DragonBox Numbers, DragonBox I and II, Dragonbox Elements

Motion Math Zoom, Motion Math Fractions

xGerms Addition

Slice Fractions

All of these but xGerms are pricey for apps, but you are paying for quality.  I used to be very against electronics use, but it has made a huge difference in our math studies.  Approaching subjects in game form, either before, after, or during the topic in our math book, removes anxiety, makes the topic approachable, and gives my kids a certain instinct towards the right understanding.  Bad apps are worse than useless, but good ones are truly an amazing new way to learn.  

• Like 1

I had no idea there were different games within dragon box?! Wow! If you buy through HSBC do you get access to all three you listed Monica? That's interesting.

The FAN math looks fantastic!

I think Singapore math standards gives lots of great review and seems like you can go slowly with it. I also have a boy like you... And we have been in right start and now moving to Singapore. I'm nervous too. But I keep coming back to it. Math mammoth was too much on a page and he was very anxious. I've also considered CLE and adding FAN to it. People say CLE is really good. But I've read in upper grades there's several pages (5-6) to do and tons of review and some people don't like it. There's always something about every program I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by sunshineslp

I suggest RightStart math for a child with math anxiety.  I switched over to it for my 8 year old son and his attitude has completely changed towards math.  Math Mammoth may also work but it's not as fun.  Rod and Staff is excellent when it comes to drilling the facts but my son was completely bored with it, plus there are way too many workbooks IMHO.  I was just commenting on another post how much RS has helped my son.  It is a mastery based program that makes learning fun.  It is expensive but to me math is something that I want to spend the money on a good program.  If you look at RightStart, look at the 2nd edition.  The teachers guide is easier to understand.  Please look in to it.  Had someone on the forums not strongly encouraged me, I wouldn't have looked in to it seriously.  I am so glad I did.

I had no idea there were different games within dragon box?! Wow! If you buy through HSBC do you get access to all three you listed Monica? That's interesting.

The FAN math looks fantastic!

I think Singapore math standards gives lots of great review and seems like you can go slowly with it. I also have a boy like you... And we have been in right start and now moving to Singapore. I'm nervous too. But I keep coming back to it. Math mammoth was too much on a page and he was very anxious. I've also considered CLE and adding FAN to it. People say CLE is really good. But I've read in upper grades there's several pages (5-6) to do and tons of review and some people don't like it. There's always something about every program I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know for dragon box... I bought all mine through the apple app store on my iPad.  

CWP = Challenging Word Problems and FAN-Math Process Skills is written by Li Fanglan,and so the FAN just comes from the authors name.

Challenging Word Problems is a book of word problems that are meant to supplement Singapore PM and while it does have worked examples, it  does not include much in the way of teaching. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

FAN-Math Process Skills is a supplement that teaches how to approach and solve multi-step word problems with instruciton, via examples and provides practice problems for the student. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

My math anxious (but very math capable) son moved from 2nd grade A Beka to Singapore (US Edition) with relative ease. We added the Intensive Practice books. I think Fan math plus IP is a good combo, but we didn't like CWP as well as the IP. The IP has some CWP level problems. The thing that IP did for my son was give him more challenging mastery problems using the TB concepts by going more broadly and deeply into the topic. There is no actual teaching in the IP books, but the thought progression starts at the TB level and gets a little more difficult. Some people use the IP a level behind for this reason.

The IP gave my son a lot more math confidence, and it reinforced the mastery style of Singapore very well. He did not do well with the incremental quality of A Beka, and second grade A Beka was just awful--review most of the year, and then throwing in new concepts at the end. Not a good fit for him at all. And way too many games with not a lot of explanation of the games--the novelty of the instructions bothered him, and he hated bouncing all over topically. 

• 3 weeks later...

My math anxious (but very math capable) son moved from 2nd grade A Beka to Singapore (US Edition) with relative ease. We added the Intensive Practice books. I think Fan math plus IP is a good combo, but we didn't like CWP as well as the IP. The IP has some CWP level problems. The thing that IP did for my son was give him more challenging mastery problems using the TB concepts by going more broadly and deeply into the topic. There is no actual teaching in the IP books, but the thought progression starts at the TB level and gets a little more difficult. Some people use the IP a level behind for this reason.

The IP gave my son a lot more math confidence, and it reinforced the mastery style of Singapore very well. He did not do well with the incremental quality of A Beka, and second grade A Beka was just awful--review most of the year, and then throwing in new concepts at the end. Not a good fit for him at all. And way too many games with not a lot of explanation of the games--the novelty of the instructions bothered him, and he hated bouncing all over topically. 

Which level did you choose? I'm town between 2b and 3a. I'm thinking 2a would be the best place to start.