Menu

Multiple Kindle Fires and how to set up users accounts

RosieCotton

Sorry for all the tech questions here.

There should be a category for technology on here so I could simply post it there! Admins???? :)

With multiple kindles I am going to set up, I don't want my books showing up on the kids fire, and so on.

Here's a good comment I pulled from another's Fire review:

Anyone else have the problem that, if they're all registered to one account, all content is shared? Despite the fact that I specifically chose to deliver books to my kindle OR my son's, all my books and movies show up in his Cloud. He can see the covers, etc. It is a gigantic pain to try to hide each individual thing from his every time I make a purchase. I have been reading about the somewhat new feature, where families can share a library off the same account, but I don't know if that will fix things. The last time I called customer service, I was told the only way to truly separate the accounts is to deregister my son's from mine, create an account in his name, and re-purchase everything that was intended for him to put it on his alone. I hate to do that. I would also like to purchase a kindle for my other child, but have no idea what to do in order to prevent "cross-contamination."

Maybe there is no way out from this. We will be using mostly downloads from the library to start, but mine will have Netflix, the kids will not, and down the road I might want to add some math apps or things like that to the kids units.

We of course have one subscription to Prime and to Netflix, so I'm not sure how that figures in.

Thanks for answering newbie questions!

Under "Manage your content and Devices" you need to set up a family library under the "Settings" tab.  Register an account for each child.  Then, in managing your content you can add books individually to each child's profile.  Also, to prevent children from accessing pretty much anything else, you set up their Kindle Fires with profiles.  My son's profile is under Kindle Freetime- that locks him out from being able to things like watch endless Minecraft Youtube videos... and still gives him access to all his books, games, apps, movies, etc.  For the kids, you're not delivering the books to the kindle, per se.  When you buy a book, you have to go into "Manage your content and devices" under "Content" click the "..." next to the book, and click "Manage family library" at the bottom of the list.  That gives you the option to add to your child's library, specifically.

Hope this helps as a start!

Yes super helpful thank you!

The user I quoted claimed the issue was even tho she was assigning books to a specific kindle, everything was showing up . BUT I don't think she registered an account for each child like you said.

If I want to buy an app the kids can share on their fires, as we will have 3, will I have to buy it for each of fires? Can I put Netflix on 3 fires?

Yes super helpful thank you!

The user I quoted claimed the issue was even tho she was assigning books to a specific kindle, everything was showing up . BUT I don't think she registered an account for each child like you said.

If I want to buy an app the kids can share on their fires, as we will have 3, will I have to buy it for each of fires? Can I put Netflix on 3 fires?

If you buy an app, you can put it on an as many kindle fires as are registered to your amazon account. Just know that there are different netflix accounts and netflix might limit how many people can watch at the same time (we cancelled it but some plans are 2 devices some 4).