Menu

Moving up a grade, how do you celebrate

OK, I know this is the wrong time of the year for most boardies. And I know too that some people de-emphasize grade levels because their dc are accelerated, or just because we can :)

However, this year my three are keen on having some kind of celebration to mark their (nominal) 'promotion' to grade 7, 5 and 3 respectively, so I'm wondering whether anyone has family traditions around this? The only input I've got from the kids is 'Cake! Cake! We need cake!' so it is highly likely that cake will be involved. I was thinking we might try doing some 'school photos'. And maybe a small gift of new stationery etc. That's all I have come up with so far...

• Like 1

Every quarter we celebrate what we have done.  Last time, I put memorabilia from our extra curricular activities out, plus projects, and crafts my kids made.  The kids took turns doing a show and tell with all their stuff.  You could use things like a poster of a frog's life cycle your child made, a certificate of attendance of Sunday school, a trophy from a tournament and a leotard for dance class.  Maybe next time we celebrate I will make a slide show of photos of the kids doing things.

My kids like to recite what they have memorized and sing songs they've learned.  They like to read something they wrote.  They also take turns reading something short aloud to showcase their reading skills.

I presented new school books.  Plus each child got a sketchbook to draw in.  They liked that a lot.

Have cake!

Edited by Caribbean Queen

we celebrate every time one of the kids finishes a level too. the child who finished gets to choose from ice cream, donuts or slurpees.

we do a first day and last day outing, usually to the beach. I like the idea of questionnaires and evaluations. I might incorporate that too.

I pass out her report card and her awards (usually award ribbons from Mardel or the teacher store).  The award ribbons say things like "Math Whiz" and stuff like that.  She gets a certificate for reading however many books she read that year from her school tub of books.

Oh, and I like to have fun when I'm passing things out.  She sits on the couch and I stand up in the front of the living room.  I mispronounce her name a few times as I ask, "(mispronounced name), is there a (mispronounced name) here?  Anyone?  I have her report card.  (Mispronounced name)?"

She comes up and gets it, and I shake her hand.  Then back to her seat for me to make another announcement for an award ribbon, and to mispronounce her name again.  It's our little end of year ritual.  We enjoy it.

• Like 3

I pass out her report card and her awards (usually award ribbons from Mardel or the teacher store).  The award ribbons say things like "Math Whiz" and stuff like that.  She gets a certificate for reading however many books she read that year from her school tub of books.

Oh, and I like to have fun when I'm passing things out.  She sits on the couch and I stand up in the front of the living room.  I mispronounce her name a few times as I ask, "(mispronounced name), is there a (mispronounced name) here?  Anyone?  I have her report card.  (Mispronounced name)?"

She comes up and gets it, and I shake her hand.  Then back to her seat for me to make another announcement for an award ribbon, and to mispronounce her name again.  It's our little end of year ritual.  We enjoy it.

Lol, this is hilarious.

We have a 'grade completion' celebration at the end of the school year. While each child works at her own level as needed and not at school grade levels per se, we do refer to them as being in the grade that fits their age. Just a little thing that I remember helping me feel less 'weird' when I was homeschooled. It's nice to not have to explain no-grades/mixed-grades every time someone asks at the grocery store.  :laugh:

That said... we generally have the grandparents over and have a little ceremony. We decorate with streamers and lay out special examples of their work to show to the grandparents. Then each child performs a couple of memory work pieces (poems, Bible chapters, etc) and we read a list of each of their accomplishments and hard work for the year (both 'schoolwork' related and not) and give them a certificate. They get applause and recognition and are pleased as punch. This year, we all went out for ice cream afterwards. 

Easy to plan and very well-received!

• Like 2

We haven't done grade celebrations yet, but we do a tiny celebration every time he finishes a level in a book because we school year round and just start the next book when he finishes the previous. He gets an ice cream cone and, generally, a week off of the subject. He loves it! Younger brother just recently requested schoolwork (he's 4, so it's all his choice) I think only because he wants ice cream. :-)

I randomly remember sometime during the summer and tell them "Ta Da, you're promoted."

We've always done year-round, so I'd "promote" in the summer when their friends all changed grades.  

When they finish a subject, though, they get to pick a prize from my "trinket box." They usually don't finish many subjects at the same time, we just move on in each one as they finish it.  Now that my oldest is in high school I'm having to follow a traditional calendar to get semesters for her transcript.

I think you should have cake. :)