Menu

Your Memorable/Funny/Suprising Christmas Moment

abba12

So, what moment of christmas will you remember this year? Funny, surprising, or just lovely?

Two for me

DD3, who is 20mo, got a toy cat with a button that makes it meow. It was in a cardboard holder, but open style so the button could be pressed while it was contained. Daddy took it gently to open it and she yelled 'mine!' and took it back. Daddy pulled it from her to get it out of the box as fast as he could so he could give it back to her while she yelled 'mine, mine!'. He gives it back and she absolutely bursts into tears, grabs the box, and tries to put the cat back in the box. We realize she thinks the box is part of the toy and daddy just tore her present apart! He's never looked so sheepish lol. He just wanted to give her the cat so she could cuddle it without a box in the way!

And, a more sentimental moment, we let the girls open their HUGE box of ponies as the first present before they got too overwhelmed. (my little pony style, but off brand, so this was a box of about 20 ponies of different colours and sizes ranging up to a foot tall). They opened it and just began screaming. The image of three little girls jumping and screaming with excitement (though, the littlest one was just copying, figuring that must be the correct action right now!) is one I'll remember for awhile. 

• Like 16

We gave our kids a trip for Christmas. They did not know where we were going. I wrapped 49 little presents each containing 1 puzzle piece from our US puzzle. The missing piece was our destination. We are going skiing! It was a fun way to surprise them. 

Merry Christmas!

• Like 19

Dear brother and his wife visited a few days ago for early Christmas.  They married earlier this year, but are planning a larger ceremony for next year.  They were talking about their cheap $3 rings that they exchanged for their short ceremony this year.  I asked them if they had a ring for the ceremony next year.  (I knew that they were planning to exchange "real" rings later.)

They said that they didn't have a ring yet.  I asked them if they would like to have Grandma's ring.  Their eyes got big and they said "Yes!"  I took the ring off my finger (I have been wearing Grandma's ring since shortly after she passed away a decade ago; db didn't know that I had it) and it fit dsil perfectly.  She took it back off and let db put it on her finger "properly".

There were many happy tears.  

• Like 25

We live in Canada, and normally have loads of snow from November to March. This year there was no snow and it was warm enough to play tennis outside!  It was such a huge thrill to be smacking tennis balls around outside with shorts on. We had to take pictures to remember the moment.  :hurray:

• Like 1

DS16 got a car this morning. I hung the keys on the tree for him to find. He was ecstatic. I don't think any of us will forget this morning anytime soon.

AS far as funny goes, a few weeks ago I was trying to add a didgeridoo to my Amazon wishlist when I accidentally ordered it instead. I quickly canceled the order and told DH about it. He misunderstood and went out and bought this travel didgeridoo as a joke only to come home and realize that a real full-size one was actually on my list. He went to return the travel one but lost the receipt. He then went ahead and ordered the full-size one that was on my list, too. It showed up in the mail a few days later... but then the next day ANOTHER ONE showed up. Amazon had shipped 2 full-size ones but only charged for one. They don't want the other one back, so I am now the proud owner of THREE didgeridoos. Even funnier is that I really only wanted to try the dang thing to see if it would help with my sleep apnea.

• Like 7

We moved away from family in 05, and didn't move back till last fall. In that time, my brothers got married and had kids, and niece had kids as well. This year is the first time that my mom had all her kids/grandkids/great grandkids in the same place together. It was nice just to have everyone together...even if it was total chaos, lol.

Hubby surprised me with a trip to visit owls at an owl cafe' in Harajuku. I really love owls and have always wanted to visit with them up close and personal. It was incredibly sweet and thoughtful and the kids were over-the-moon about telling Mommy. They predicted I'd cry in shock and they were right.  :hurray:

• Like 6

My MIL had her brother dress as Santa and come by with gifts. My 5yo's eyes got wide and she whispered to me "I guess I was wrong and Santa IS real!"

The same 5 yo wrote on presents from her the number 2 instead of to. I hadn't noticed when she was wrapping, but I thought it was adorable!

• Like 3

A few things stood out today. One is that ds waited until last night to buy me a gift, but he still got me exactly what I wanted, an Amazon gift card. He emailed it to me about midnight and he came down and waited to be sure it showed up. He even sent one with a picture of a dog (I love dogs). I almost cried because that might be the first time in many years where I asked for some gift card and got exactly what I wanted. 

Another thing was a letter my dad sent my mom in 1959, before they were married. As most of you know my dad passed away at the end of November, so we weren't really celebrating today, just me, ds, and my mom hanging out. My dad was stationed in Japan and had met my mom once. The letter was so great, so typical of my dad, he mentioned the weather, and practically proposed right in the letter. They were 23. It was written on silk paper with a background design, it's just gorgeous. I read it out loud and we laughed because in so many ways my dad didn't change from the time he was 23, there were a few specific things that stood out and he always kept track of the weather. 

• Like 4

#1 Going to fill my 8yo son's stocking and discovering a note tucked under the button that read "No nuts!" Just in case Santa didn't know he's allergic.

#2 Asking the same 8yo what his favorite present was and hearing him say, "definitely the socks." He got a half dozen striped, argyle, and solid knee socks and he LOVES them. Lol.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 10

My sister recently moved to town. She came for Christmas dinner with her sweet family, and teared up when she thanked us for having them over.

And dd came to visit for the first time since she and her new dh moved away. When he asked if he needed to dress fancy for Christmas, she laughed and told him our usual Christmas attire....they showed up in their pj's and robes. Fit right in. :D

• Like 4

Hubby surprised me with a trip to visit owls at an owl cafe' in Harajuku. I really love owls and have always wanted to visit with them up close and personal. It was incredibly sweet and thoughtful and the kids were over-the-moon about telling Mommy. They predicted I'd cry in shock and they were right. :hurray:

Oh wow. I am jealous! I bet it was a blast. :D

• Like 1

A lovely moment on Christmas Eve day was a phone call I made to catch up with a cousin I haven't seen in a number of years, and who has been estranged from everyone in the family to the point of no one--even his siblings--having contact info anymore. One of his children showed up at a family research website at Thanksgiving, so I was able to make the connection.

I always make his dad's traditional roast for Christmas Eve and I've arranged for my mom to take some back for him today. Because I believe in the healing power of roast beef and gravy.

• Like 2

We got a couple of things that the kids were totally not expecting (one kid was saving up for something), so we got the expected and anticipated blinks of disbelief and, "You didn't. . ." and "Is this for real?" It was awesome!

This is the first time I've had both a two year old and a four year old at once, and they made it so wonderful! Everything was big cheers of excitement. Toddler, watching DH and me lay out gifts Christmas Eve after the others were in bed: "Huh? Whaaaaat? Ock?" followed by a facepalm when he could not figure out why presents would go in big socks.

Four year old keeps coming up to tell me, "Thank you, Mommy, for Christmas, and for my presents." All of the kids have assured me that it was the best Christmas ever. They say that every year, but it sure does make me feel good.

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 1

We usually have cold, winter weather for Christmas but this year was so warm and humid we turned on the air-conditioner. My visiting friend, dd, and I took our two dogs for a walk. It had been overcast all day but not rained, however, when we were a mile from home it suddenly began to thunder and lightning then poured down rain. We were laughing and running home, mostly because of the lightning and wide open fields we had to walk past (plus neither of my small dogs is good with thunder)…the rain felt good. My dh got in the car and drive out to save us.