Menu

Christmas Toys that were a hit!

Chess Dad

I just wanted to add a topic on toys that were a hit with your kids.

We gave lots of toys to our kids but our 7 year old received a BB8 Star Wars remote control robot.  She not only loved it, but it actually works great.  I'm very impressed.  Most remote control electronics don't do what they're advertised to do, but the Star Wars BB8 works!  It's a small rolling robot from the movie.  I would give it a 5 out of 5 stars!  and my daughter loves it.

Anyone else get a present that does what it is advertised to do?  Or one that your kids just loved?

Thanks,

Jim

:patriot:  

Edited by dallas050
  • Like 3

dudeling wanted an xbox one.  I told him it's also his bd present.  that was all he cared about, and he figured out where it was under the tree so he could open it first thing.  he didn't like waiting.  tough.

I did get 2ds a bb8 wallet.  he likes novelty wallets because they're easier to see.  black or brown ones just disappear.  his former wallet should have been replaced a couple years ago.  he loved the bb8.

I've seen the bb8 remote toy - it looks adorable.  I might have bought one for the adorable factor. (had the stores actually had one left in stock.)

• Like 2

I can not think of a non hit item with the kids this year!

Dd1 (10 years old), loved her pocket knives, hunting knife, sculpey clay set, mom-made tinkering kit, huge box of recyclables, duct tape kit, Magic the Gathering game, Laser Maze, Star Wars Lego book, Greek Heroes book, and skate shoes.

Dd2 (7 years old), loved her pocket knife, duct tape kit, Harry Potter hardback book and coloring book, mom-made HP potions kit, bracelet making kit, Eye Found It game, 'grown up' art set, and skate shoes.

Dd3 (5 years old), loved her Scholastic DVD collection, sight word Zingo game, paint wooden animals kit, spider web swing, multi tool (no knife on hers 😉), unicorn blanket, mom-made sensory kit, and a Dough Vinci set.

• Like 1

BB-8 and R2D2 remote control droids were a huge hit with the entire crowd ages 9-75. As were the Death Star beach ball and light saber diving sticks. Not a toy, but the Hodor t-shirt I got the almost 21 year old was a huge hit. The PS4 kind of fell flat because I didn't realize our beach condo tv wasn't HD, so we can't play it until we get home. Oh well. The ocean is fun...

• Like 2

DD11: Bounce Off game and a ceramic curling iron (her first hair styling tool ever). It actually kind of broke my heart a bit how excited she was over the curling iron. She got some toys as well, but the curling iron was the item she was most excited about. She's growing up. :(

DS9: Kindle Fire, and Jenga game.

DS6: Imaginex Batman Bat Cave play set. He's hardly stopped playing with it all morning.

• Like 2

Younger dd: a unicorn onesie with a horn on the hood was the biggest hit so far, along with a stuffed ocelot and sheep from Minecraft.  She's getting a guitar at MIL's tomorrow and I think that will be the big winner.  She's been looking for it.   She was the one opening things as quickly as possible, looking at it for a second then dropping it aside for the next.

DS:  a stuffed squid, a squid hat, Pokémon Mystery Dungeon for 3ds, and a Pikachu onesie.  He was a little upset that he didn't get more video games (there were around 6 on his list) but he's getting two more from MILs.  He took time opening things and liked almost everything.  He got a really good microscope and a set of prepared slides that he wasn't excited about but I think he'll like it when he gets into using it.

Older dd: money and she's getting Bear Paws but I they were delayed so she'll get them next week.  I also got her some basic toiletry and cleaning supplies so she can have more money to spend on other things.

I got a ceramic heater and heated mattress pad for our extremely cold bedroom, a new purse and tote bag, and some nice boots that are good for my plantar fasciitis. :thumbup1:

• Like 1

Lego anything is always a hit with my oldest. This year, the four year-old, who never sits still actually got excited and tried his hand at building. They received many Minecraft-themed sets from the various people who spoil them.

A heavy duty, metal Tonkavdump truck for the toddler. He's been happily filling, driving, and dumping all day.

• Like 1

Zoomer Dinos were a hit with both boys.

The absolutely favorite seems to be the Kidcraft kitchen set, plus all of the accessories we purchased (Plan Toys' plates/cups/bowls/spoons/forks, Melissa and Doug pizza set and sandwich set, other food, etc), and my mother's gift to the boys was an accompanying market place with tons of appliances. Huge, huge hit.

The boys enjoyed everything they got, but the aforementioned were the favorites.

DD14's favorites weren't toys :P But literally everything was a hit with her.

• Like 2

American girl doll school set. Dd has been busy cutting, pasting, taping, creating for hours. It's a really interesting set it comes with everything from gradebook to hall passes and something to teach in every subject. The "girls" aka American Girl dolls have been in and out of school all day.

Edited by lynn
  • Like 3

My dh bought niece (6) a beautiful watercolour set (she's a little artist), then sat drawing with her for ages. It was a lovely uncle/niece moment.

An unusual hit with our kids was white volley sneakers each and a set of sharpie markers, including uv glowing ones. They cannot wait to decorate and doodle all over them!

And the enormous Minecraft Lego set. Of course.

Edited by LMD
  • Like 2

Biggest hit seems to be the Melissa & Doug weaving loom.  The game of life,and Sculpey make your own Erasers are getting a lot of play to. 

Now we have Bunch em's from Grandma and they are a huge hit, they were warned about the hair so we will see.

Edited by rebcoola
  • Like 1

Yay!

This year was a lovely year! Dd (brand new six) loved Lego kits, American Girl, more microscope slides, a big box of preserved specimens for dissection, Leonardo Da Vinci building kits, and new climbing shoes.

Baby enjoyed his stacking cups, and a M&D set of blocks in a pull toy...and enjoyed the wrapping paper even more:)

Biggest hit was the scavenger hunt to find one last present-a box of books about Washington, DC, and plane tickets in 2 days time:)

• Like 1

Those cheap little plastic soldiers that come in a big plastic bin of like 200 for $8. The four year old was organizing war dominion with all his siblings for hours this morning.

Lego anything. (Made nifty battlements for the soldiers.)

$1 store light up sabers (they looks like half of a clear wrapping paper tube and light up) and me dumping glow stick contents inside blown up balloons and sending them outside in the dark to play balloon ball with them. I saw these months ago and tossed them in the closet for I forget what reason and rediscovered them when digging out the Christmas gifts. Kids needed to stay up until midnight for mass last night and were driving me a bit batty so I blew up and filled about 20 something balloons with the insides of snap glow sticks I had and sent them outside. Everyone from the 4 yr old to the 21 yr old are still talking about the epic games they had last night in the street over dinner tonight.

• Like 3

Literally every single thing was a hit this year. DS16's favorite gift was his car, but he also got and loved a mandolin, banjo, looper pedal, and recording microphone. Even all of the little gifts were a big hit this year. Not a dud in the bunch.

• Like 1

We did end up going with the PS4 + Disney Infinity for the boys.  They love it.  Everyone is happy about that one.  :)

We finally settled on a 2DS for Pink + a couple dog/cat games.  She played them a lot on her brothers' (they each have a 3DS), plus she can play all the 3DS games we already have in 2D.  So that was a hit.

I got each of the kids hats from Hot Topic - winter/beanie type hats.  They all wanted to wear them yesterday despite the 73* high, and Pink kept hers on all day (hers has Eevee on it - Astro's is a basic Pokemon/pokeball one and Link's is Legend of Zelda). They're really cool hats, I have to say.  I hadn't looked at HT in years and they have a lot of stuff I really liked lol!!

From my ILs, the boys got Star Wars (Darth Vader and Stormtrooper) snuggies!!  It was hilarious.  I got a picture of them in them and had to put that on FB instantly.  :D  They also got one of those inflatable balls you get in and roll around the yard.  They're excited about that, too.  :)

• Like 1

For older dd Harry Potter, Doctor Who, and Sherlock inspired stuff. It was like the British invasion was hanging out under the tree ;) and for dd5 we put together a doctor kit using a real vintage doctors bag, and real doctor tools, with a set of scrubs. She is obsessed with it, everything and everyone in the house is covered in bandaids and gauze wrappings. I think I have had my knee hammered enough to develop a small bruise ;) 

• Like 1

Everyone had big hits here! We did have to run errands this morning to add a few things, like chargers and remotes. One son received enough tools and workbenches to make a workshop in the garage. His favorite gift was probably a small blowtorch. The other two loved their video games and other fun teen gifts.

Friends for the Batcave were a hit!  My three smallboys have been collecting the Imaginext Batman characters for a couple of years, and this year, they mentioned that they really needed more good guys.  So I got Wonder Woman, Superman, and Green Lantern to help all of our Batmans (Batmen?) and Robins, and the little guys are ecstatic.

LEGO sets are always a hit -- this year, it was the LEGO movie sets.

Big hit: Nerf guns for all five children.  From the giant Retaliator for two of the kids down to the itty bitty Jolt for the toddlers.  They are all thrilled (even if the youngest two need some help to cock the guns).  

• Like 1