Menu

King Williams College quiz

Faithr

I gotta get off the internet and go make waffles, but does anybody wanna work on this with me?  I have never successfully completed it and it takes me way longer than when the answers come out (I think in Feb?), but still it is fun (in a warped sort of way. LOL.)  I thought though this would be perfect for the Hive Mind.

Anyway, here is the link: http://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2015/dec/24/king-williams-college-quiz-2015

Edited by Faithr

Anyone else playing?  

So far I've got:

Section 1 #5 - Edith Cavill, #6 The Lusitania 

Section 7 #6 - sounds like something out of The Jungle Book?

Section 8 #1 David Copperfield, #4 Davy Crockett, #5 sounds like something from The Heart of Darkness?, #8 Is this from The Stranger?, #10 Dracula?

Section 9 #7 Chamomile Tea

Section 10 #4 Tic Toc Croc

Section 13 #6 Stone found in Rosetta

That's out of 170 questions.  Seems like there is a elephant theme going on here, with several questions referencing elephants.  

Thanks, Lawyermom!  I got more for Section 9 which all seem to be beverages:

#1 Black Coffee

#3 red wine

Section 2

#3 Sherlock Holmes?  Dixon Mann was an autopsy guide used at the time.

Section 8 - seems to be all novels

#7 must be character from Prester John by John Buchan - don't know name though.

Section 14 - etymology of country's name

#2 Costa Rica

#3 Holy See

I'm pretty sure most or all of Section 2 is from Dorothy Sayers Lord Peter Wimsey books. Maybe some are other mysteries....

2.1 Sir Impey Biggs 

2.2 Noakes 

2.3 It's either Grimbold or Freke

2.4 Mary Whittaker (? unless they mean hypodermic needle) 

2.5 Crimplesham

2.6 Endicott

2.7 Grant

2.8  The one that comes to mind is General Fentiman but he didn't die of arsenic poisoning, it was digitalis. 

2.9- Deacon

2.10- Harriet Vane

Edited by Alice
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure most or all of Section 2 is from Dorothy Sayers Lord Peter Wimsey books. Maybe some are other mysteries....

2.1 Sir Impey Biggs 

2.2 Noakes 

2.3 It's either Grimbold or Freke - Or Lord Peter?  There's a moment in Whose Body when he takes down a few reference books - Dixon Mann is mentioned in the previous paragraph, but it's not cited amongst the ones he takes down.

2.4 Mary Whittaker (? unless they mean hypodermic needle) 

2.5 Crimplesham

2.6 Endicott

2.7 Grant

2.8  The one that comes to mind is General Fentiman but he didn't die of arsenic poisoning, it was digitalis. 

2.9- Deacon

2.10- Harriet Vane

L

A few more:

4.3 White Cliffs of Dover (King Lear)

4.5 There's a William Harvey Hospital in Kent

4.6 I think that must be Longstaple, near Plymouth, but I can't find the reference (Sense and Sensibility) ETA: no - that's wrong.  It's from Room with a View and it's Tunbridge Wells.

4.10 - That's Bishop's Finger, which is a legally designated beer (like Champagne is designated to a particular area) made by Shepherd Neame in Faversham.  There's also a pub by that name near Smithfield in London (I've drunk there) but I think it's the place designation they are after

5.3 The Roundhouse in North London

6.2 - Adlestrop

6.8 - That's the film Brief Encounter.  I had to Google to find out where it was filmed: Carnforth Station

6.9 - David Copperfield?  It's a long time since I read it, but I seem to remember a Great Aunt Betsey

8.6 - David Hackston (this is local to me).  I walk my dog regularly a the site of the murder.

9.6 - Tea and toast (The Wind in the Willows)

10.4 - Tick-Tock?

13.6 - Rosetta?

16.5 - To be eaten by rats (Tom Kitten)

17.9 - A peerage

L

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

I had actually thought about Camp David.  Thanks so much!

I think the Caprine David is David Lloyd George.  He was known for his promiscuous 'goatish' behaviour.

I'm wondering about the David whose heart is under a cedar.  King David?  Or another middle-eastern David?  You know the Bible better than I do.

ETA: Calvin thinks that 10.8 is Amun

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

I think the one about the heart buried under the tree (8.5) is David Livingstone.  The tree is found in the tropics and apparently his heart was buried under a tree but his body is in Westminster Abbey.

I know there is Ra-atmon (or amun?) but I had never heard of Horus being combined. But that is a good guess so I will put it in my list!  Thanks Calvin!

I did a little googling and I think that for Section 5 it is all about round buildings or at least round things.

#1 Church of the Holy Sepluchre - built to look like the one in Jerusalem, also known as the Round Church in Cambridge

#2 Another Church of the Holy Sepluchre - this one in Northhampton on Sheep Street.

I was thinking about this again last night but my phone was flat. It was Shere Khan the tiger that came for the man cub and bagheera that bought the cub with the price of a bulls blood. So I think answer 7.6 should be Shere khan.

This is awesome. I think I have a lot of reading to do!!!

• Like 1

Thank you all so much!  I have updated the list.  Go here.  I want to acknowledge everyone who has contributed but first I want to make sure it is ok if I put your name (or your WTM moniker) next to the answers.  So if you see yourself already mentioned on the list but do not want to be, let me know.  If you don't see yourself listed, let me know if it is ok to put your name there.  I know I have been inconsistent.

Yesterday I didn't have much to do so I really went to town on this, but today I am going to be out and about, so I won't be able to work on it until late this afternoon.  

AusMumof3 - I have been googling but even with that, I can't find the answers or it takes me two hours of research to just maybe get the answer to one question!  So I think googling is fine.

Thanks Laura!  And Alice!  You know the folks at Pemberley invite emailing answers to them.  If you want (you might have to join the board, but it is easy and it is fun place to hang out if you love all things British) you could put them straight.  One the moderators collects all the email answers and then publishes them on the board whenever she can.  I emailed some of my answers but they haven't posted them yet.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...